Profile for R.F. Hunt > Reviews

Two Dogs at the One Dog Inn
Two Dogs at the One Dog Inn
by David John Griffin

5.0 out of 5 stars Great! Highly recommend this novella., 15 Dec 2014
I really did enjoy reading this novella. The plot wasn't easy to see at the start, but reading between the emails of the two characters then bit by bit, the plot was revealed. You, the reader need to do some work, and I like that, because so much I read, the plot is so plain even if I've only read a few pages. Though, as I was reading this book, I forgot that I was doing any work, and was just loving the characters, the detail in the emails and all what was going on!!! I won't reveal any of this - you need to read it!
I want now to read more from this writer.

Zenith Hotel
Zenith Hotel
by Oscar Coop-Phane

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant and Powerful, 1 April 2014
This review is from: Zenith Hotel (Hardcover)
I was totally gripped by Zenith Hotel and I'm still thinking about it.
The author, Oscar Coop-Phane, moved to Berlin for a year when he was 20. In that year he read the classics and wrote Zenith Hotel (published by Arcadia Books in 2014) and Tomorrow, Berlin, which will be published by Aracdia Books in 2015.
Zenith Hotel won the prestigious Prix de Flore prize in France. It is translated into English by Ros Schwartz.
This novel isn't a big book in terms of length but it's big in terms of the themes it covers, and in it's ambition.
Nanou is our narrator,a street prostitute who lives in a squalid flat in Zenith Hotel. She writes about her clients as well as giving us an in depth description about her life. In the tender and gritty portraits we meet the lost,the disconnected, those who feel defeated from the world -all who find sanctuary and solace in her arms.
There is a deep melancholic thread that runs through all these portraits , including Nanou herself, who despite not having to get up for the 5am commute or dealing with a lecherous boss, wakes up with a stale taste in her mouth and loathes herself.
Oscar Coopl-Phane has described the lives of those who live in the backstreets of Paris, with a tenderness and sensibility far beyond his years. His sparse but rich prose reveals a world not often described in fiction. It's a thought-provoking, elegant and powerful novel. Well worth reading!

Wilderness of Sinners
Wilderness of Sinners

5.0 out of 5 stars A great story that ticks all the boxes., 5 Mar 2014
For a memoir to be successful, the author has to take us on a journey we may not undertake ourselves and allow us to see another point of view. The Wilderness of Sinners ticks those boxes as well as it being extremely well written. Change is integral to the story and boy, what a story it is! I'm not going to go too much into the plot, as it's been mentioned before in the reviews, except to say this is a book about the author and 15 troubled youngsters on a VisionQuest programme in Arizona. It's how they learn about themselves and come to accept the author, and also how the author learns through them, about himself, his future and his life. It made me laugh, sob, and think.
A great story that ticks all the boxes!

by Qaisra Shahraz

5.0 out of 5 stars Revolt by Qaisra Shahraz, 14 Feb 2014
This review is from: Revolt (Paperback)
Revolt
This is a superb book, with many layers telling stories of love and loss. It's the story of three sisters and despite the wealth in the family, the problems they encounter can't be solved by money. It's set in England and a fictional village in Pakistan and the characters are great, funny at times, maddening and totally unforgettable. As the wedding of two cousins approach, it illustrates how moving and perilous it can be when everyone knows everybody else's business. What I especially enjoyed was the contrast between life in Pakistan and life in Emgland, the cultural differences as well as the fundamentals we all have in common.
It's a book that made me giggle, laugh, cry and sob! It's also one that's been passed around friends and family with everyone loving it. The author is an award winning novelist (The Holy Woman, Typhoon and Revolt) and I'm glad to hear she is writing more books. This is a modern day classic and one you won't want to put down.

First Novel
First Novel
by Nicholas Royle

5.0 out of 5 stars A mystery novel that'll keep you guessing - superb book!, 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: First Novel (Paperback)
I read First Novel when it was in hardback. Nicholas Royle has written seven books and is also an editor of short fiction and is a publisher. His work is very highly regarded and this novel illustrates why.
This is a mystery novel and the protagonist is a creative writing teacher (as Nicholas Royle is as well) and also features two of his students. The teacher is trying to get his book written, but the work of his students is blended in with the narrative. I'm not going to spoil the plot for you, only to say the last half of the novel is astounding, as the various plots and storylines begin to make sense. A true mystery novel, where the questions raised can often have an either/or answer.
Well worth buying, a superb book!

The Missing One
The Missing One
by Lucy Atkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a compelling read!, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Missing One (Paperback)
There is a real buzz about this book and deservedly so. I won't spend time talking about the details of the plot, but instead say I bought this as soon as it came out. I spent a day and a half reading it, then read it again. The plot left me thinking about the issues raised and I'm still thinking about them now. It's one of the most compelling books I've read for a while. It has strong believable characters with interesting back stories. It has a plot that builds and builds until you're on the edge of your seat. From the very first page I found I was hooked!
Not many books live up to the hype/buzz but this one certainly does. In fact, I think there needs to be more hype - its that good. It's very well written and the tension well paced.
I urge you to buy this book and find out why Kali travels with Finn to a remote British Columbian island. Who is Susannah and why is she becoming preoccupied with Kali's child? What lengths would a mother go to, to protect her child?

T.C. Boyle Stories II
T.C. Boyle Stories II
by Tom Coraghessan Boyle

5.0 out of 5 stars The Master of the Short Story, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: T.C. Boyle Stories II (Paperback)
An excellent book packed full of short stories. A great book to dip in and out of. Brilliant book, was so pleased I bought it.

Stories for Homes
Stories for Homes
by J. A. Ironside

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: Stories for Homes (Paperback)
In this book you'll find stories and poems of the highest quality all linked together with the theme of 'home'. It's a really enjoyable read and thought provoking as well. Whether you're a fan of short stories, or want to write them yourself this is a great book to start. Of course, if you just want to be transported into different times, places and people and enjoy a cracking read, then this is the book for you! All proceeds from this book go to Shelter. So not only a great read but also for a superb and worthy cause!

A different perspective on inclusive practice - Respectful language (A different perspective on ... Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Inclusive Practice - A Must Read Book!, 1 Jun 2013
This book is an important, well written study that deals with the language of respect. It illustrates how respect starts with a relationship of equals, which requires empathy and understanding between both parties. This book will be essential reading for any organisation or professional working with people who are disabled, as well as being a valuable resource for those with disabilities. I found it to be a powerful and enlightening read, which includes personal reflection with current theory. R.F. Hunt (Author of The Single Feather to be published 2014)