Profile for S J Clelland > Reviews

Content by S J Clelland

S J Clelland

NASA Space Shuttle Manual: An Insight Into the Design, Construction and Operation of the NASA Space Shuttle (Owner's Workshop Manual)
by David Baker

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful up to a point, 22 May 2013
Gazing down on the Earth, it seems almost incredible to me now that just 5 months ago my wife presented me with this book for Christmas and told me to sod off and do something useful with my life for a change.
A short trip to B&Q later and I was hard at work. The first obstacle is of course the size of the space shuttle. In the end I had to clear almost everything out of the garage so I had enough space to get to those hard-to-reach units. The flux capacitor was a pain in the ar*e as well, but after watching the Back to the Future trilogy a good 8 times, it made a lot more sense.
After a good 2 weeks of banging away for at least half-an-hour a day, she was finished. I must concede that it was trickier than I thought to get hold of original NASA spare parts; one scrapyard guy even threw something heavy and wedge-shaped at my special area when I asked him where he kept the used space shuttle engines!
In the end I settled for 3 1.3-litre, 4-cylinder engines from 1973 Austin Allegros, and the seats from a '79 Ford Capri (still with those beads for your back!)
Launch date finally came, and I waited patiently for the skies to clear as I didn't want to accidentally bang into an Easyjet coming into Luton and lose a wing mirror or something.
Anyhoo, my kids shouted from the garden that everything looked good, I turned the key, and whoosh! the air blowers came on. I turned them down, turned the key again and whoosh! Within hours I was at close to 37mph at a heady 4 feet above the lush Cornish countryside.
How I actually got into space is actually a bit of a mystery. I remember dosing off after a while, so maybe the flux capacitor kicked in and did its job!

So, in conclusion:

Pros:
Detailed
Easy-to-understand
Excellent value for money

Cons:
Difficult to get required parts
White paintwork is a bit boring
Book is quite heavy
No phasers or warp drive

Hope this helps