Profile for The Soft Machine Operator > Reviews

Content by The Soft Machi...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 842

The Soft Machine Operator (COVENTRY, WARWICKSHIRE United Kingdom)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
Now What ?!
Now What ?!
Offered by jim-exselecky

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard Rocking and 'Proggy', 2 May 2013
This review is from: Now What ?! (Audio CD)
I am by no means a Deep Purple fan, just an occasional listener, but I have to admit I found this album fantastic. The album starts off with a slow ballad, that quickly turns into a classic sounded Purple rocker, with rousing keyboards, riffing, and a fantastic rythmn section - and powerful vocals from Ian Gillan. There are plenty of 'symphonic' moments as well, which is reminsicent of the Jon Lord sound on early albums (The album is dedicated to Mr Lord). By track 4, Hell to Pay, there's more than a hint of 'prog rock' with some rollicking instrumentals - and by Uncommon Man we have lengthy introduction that would have sounded at home on an ELP album.

Just when you think the albums going to descent into riff-laden seventies rock, the band surprised me by adding symphonic sounds, instrumentals and changes of pace. And there's a song about Vincent Price, as well. What more do you want?

Highly recommended to 'casual' fans, and also fans of seventies rock and prog bands. There's so much to enjoy here.

Comply S-400 Active Earphone Tips (Medium) - Charcoal Black 3 pairs
Comply S-400 Active Earphone Tips (Medium) - Charcoal Black 3 pairs

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable Listening, 1 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I used these on my 'Skullcandy' earbuds, which I found to be comfortable, but after a while they'd start to hurt my ears. Stuck a couple of these on and can listen for longer without any discomfort. My only gripe is that they do tend to fall out every now and then. I'd recommend these to people who find that in-ear earbuds become uncomfortable. They're easy to install. You just remove the existing rubber tips and slide these in place (Although they're quite squishy, which made it a little awkward to get them all the way on!)

I didn't notice any difference in sound quality using these, either - improvement or degradation.

The Singles, Volume 2: '89-95'
The Singles, Volume 2: '89-95'
Offered by mrtopseller

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting material, and good value, 27 April 2013
I was never much of a singles buyer, and only dabbled in the odd piece of vinyl or CD single. Hence this compilation is good value for me, and also an interesting collection of unused tracks, live tracks and demos. I particularly like Bell in the Sea, which is one of my favourite Marillion songs and I never understood why it wasn't on the album - the Release is a good track, but sounds a little bit too similar to a previous track, but again, I prefer it to many of the tracks off the Seasons (sic) End album.

We get different mixes of Hooks with You (Longer intro on one) and Cover My Eyes (With a horrendous drum in it) and combined, virtually a whole live album of tracks from Seasons End, including some Fish era tracks and a Who cover.

Brave is well represented, with a bunch of alternate versions (I don't care much for the different Great Escape) and some instrumentals such as Marouette Jam and Winter Trees.

This is a comprehensive collection of singles, B-sides, outtakes and live tracks. Highly recommended - even if you have all the albums, you won't have a lot of this.

Sci-Fi Sound Effects (Vintage Beeb)
Sci-Fi Sound Effects (Vintage Beeb)
by BBC
Edition: Audio CD

3.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia and ring tones?, 27 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This a re-issue of old sound effects LPs you could buy back in the 1980s. This one features a collection of sounds from BBC productions: Hitchiker's guide to the Galaxy, Dr Who, Blake's 7 and a radion production called Earthsearch.

It's exactly what it says: 81 snippers of sound. Electronic warbles, burps, zaps, pings and occasional moments of almost melodic atmosphere. All of this rendered in glorious analogue synth sound. Track 74, "Underworld Animation Chamber" is almost melodic. Listening to these you can imagine the dodgy blue screen video animations and grey sets of corridors and gantries that all look the same.

Nostalgia, indeed, and it all sounds great. What could you use it for? Embelishing youtube videos? Samples for your own musical compositions? Or just do what I intend to do - stick some on my phone and use them as ring tone.

The liner notes are deranged, as well. Three stars seems appropriate for what is, mainly, a novelty CD.

Wahl 9854-802 Lithium Ion Grooming Station
Wahl 9854-802 Lithium Ion Grooming Station

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat, 5 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a pretty comprehensive set of trimmers, but don't try to use it for anything other than trimming beards or sideburns! It's rechargeable and comes with a tray into which all the various clippers and heads sit. It comes with a comprehensive set of heads, but I don't really have much use for many of them. However, they are there if you need them. The interesting feature is the fast charge - I'm always left having to charge up my shavers as I tend to let them drain, and this one charges quickly and can be used in a minute. I wish they all came with this feature!

Revel Weird And Wild
Revel Weird And Wild
Offered by TwoRedSevens

3.0 out of 5 stars Average 70s folk rock, 5 April 2013
This review is from: Revel Weird And Wild (Audio CD)
If you like bands like Fairport Convention and Steeleye Span, you'll like this. It's folk with rock, but lacks the memorable tunes and songs of the other bands from that era, which might be why they're nothing more than a bit of a footnote. It's pleasant enough to listen to and comes, as usual, with interesting information in the booklet.

Seagate Thunderbolt Adapter for GoFlex Portable Hard Drives
Seagate Thunderbolt Adapter for GoFlex Portable Hard Drives

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast, but pricey, 5 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The most annoying thing about this item is that it did not come with a cable, and they are pretty expensive (I got the short .5 metre one from Apple - but these are 'active' cables, which accounts for the price). Once I'd got one, though, the speed of backing up my Mac Mini far exceeded the speeds I was getting when using normal USB - what used to take hours took thirty minutes.

This is all part of the 'GoFlex' system, in which you can mix and match connection types. The hard drive itself is independent of the connection. As with other GoFlex adapters, the build quality is sturdy. It's a good idea. I have different adaptors permanently connected and just move the hard drive module. The Thunderbolt adapter is much larger than the other adapters.

My only reservation is the price - these are quite expensive and I'm not sure the cost justifies the benefits.

Burden Of Proof
Burden Of Proof
Offered by TwoRedSevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Their best album yet, 28 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Burden Of Proof (Audio CD)
Right from the opening track, with a keyboard intro, you know this is a Soft Machine related album. This opening track, Burden of Proof, sounds very much the Karl Jenkins era Softs, with a marching, repetitive rhythm allowing Theo Travis and John Etheridge to play off each other. On the second track, an anthenic open gives way to what sounds like improvised passages with ethereal flute riffs and harsh guitar riffs giving it more than a hint of 1970s avant-garde soundtracks. Every track is different - Pie Chart is a more traditional bluesy sounding track with a languid pace. Black and Crimson starts off with a familiar keyboard sound, and this continues while Etheridge plays some wonderful guitar melodies. It's fresh and lively, yet is cleary Soft Machine.

I think this is probably my favourite Soft Machine Legacy album.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality product with good performance, 14 Mar. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Initial thoughts are good, as the drive is encased in metal and feels and looks like a high quality product. The drive comes with migration software, which I found very useful for moving my windows 8 partition from a normal SATA drive to the SSD. The software is, handily, supplied on a CD, as well.

The difference between a normal hard drive and this drive is astonishing. Windows 8 boots to the login screen in seconds, and once logged in there is hardly any delay while it loads up and is ready for use.

I suggest reading around and looking at comparison sites: the Samsung drives appear to be highly regarded and give a better performance than other drives.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and cheap, 13 Mar. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a well made unit, with brushed metal finish, and eight ethernet ports. I used this to replace an old switch that could not perform at gigabit speeds that was connected to multiple devices. I have had no problems with this. (It's hooked up to a computer, a DVD player, a TV and a media centre.). It's definitely good value for money.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30