Profile for J. Cracknell > Reviews

Content by J. Cracknell

J. Cracknell "james_the_brains" (Bristol)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Cambridge Cd10 Blk
Cambridge Cd10 Blk
Offered by Richer Sounds

1.0 out of 5 stars It's a CD player that doesn't play CDs, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Cambridge Cd10 Blk (Electronics)
This product is basically useless.

I am writing this review rather angrily after having to lug my CD10 back to the shop where I had bought it. This is because, put simply, it didn't play CDs. At least not the way it should do.

Buy any old £25 hifi from your local corner shop and it will do a better job at playings CDs than Cambridge Audio's piece of junk. It takes ages to load, and, when it finally does clunk into gear, it somehow contrives to insert silent gaps in-between each and every track on the CD.

Why? Why would it do that? The gaps ruin any album (about 98% of all albums I would estimate) that have any tracks which merge into each other.

Basically, then, this CD player doesn't play CDs. It massacres them.

When I emailed Cambridge Audio about this, they took several weeks to reply before finally admitting: "This is a feature of all our CD10s."

WOW.

Why would should I pay £160 for something that doesn't do the job the little stereo I bought in 1996 does? Seriously?

Cambridge Audio are taking us all for fools. Don't be the next one.

NB. I am giving this product one star because Amazon forces me to.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2013 11:51 AM BST

Make This Your Own
Make This Your Own
Offered by Giant Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Isn't it strange..., 14 Sep 2007
This review is from: Make This Your Own (Audio CD)
The now defunct Cooper Temple Clause released this just three months before they split, and in listening to Make This Your Own, it is clear why the band did break up. Creatively, the Coopers were pulling in different directions - evidenced here by the strange contrast in musical styles from one song to the next. Following-up their critically-acclaimed second album Kick Up The Fire And Let The Flames Break Loose was never going to be easy, but it appears as though some members of the band had become frustrated by lack of commercial success. For, on Make This Your Own, the band attempt a more radio-friendly sound in songs such as "Waiting Game" and "Damage". In doing this however, they lose what it was that made them great in the first place: originality. The aforementioned "Waiting Game" is a good song, don't get me wrong, but it could quite as easily have been made by Snow Patrol. The reason why I still rate this as an album is because, well, I like Snow Patrol. But nice little three-and-a-half-minute radio-friendly songs is not what people buy a Coopers album for. They buy it to be blown away by huge walls of sound and electro-guitar music. Luckily for them, this can also be found on the album. "All I See Is You" is the Coopers at their very best. "Head" and "Homo Sapiens" are also great tracks. It's just a shame that the Coopers decided against filling the album with more tracks like these, because the potential was there to out-do their previous albums. Make This Your Own, paradoxically, finds the Coopers at the top of their game, whilst struggling to decide in which direction they should be headed. In the end, as it turned out, this was their downfall.

Scrubs : Complete Season 4 [DVD]
Scrubs : Complete Season 4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Zach Braff
Offered by WorldCinema

5.0 out of 5 stars Right up there with the Friends & the Simpsons of US comedy, 18 Oct 2006
I think the best way to sum up 'Scrubs' is to say that it is the only show I know where you actually miss half the jokes because you're still laughing hysterically from the ones before. Series 4 is possibly the weakest up till now, but is still worthy of five stars any day of the week. Perhaps the funniest moments, as ever, come from the Janitor who in this series interacts with a lot more characters besides JD (and some squirrels). Some new characters are also introduced, including my new favourite - Hooch. Whatever issues are being tackled in Scrubs, there is never a dull moment, and Series 4 is only slightly less terrific than the three before it.

Urban Hymns
Urban Hymns
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars I let the melody shine, let it cleanse my mind, I feel free now..., 6 Aug 2006
This review is from: Urban Hymns (Audio CD)
Urban Hymns - for me the greatest record of all time. If I can somehow convey at least a part of the reason why I believe this to be true, I'll have done well. Because it's hard to put into words how good this album really is. Both musically and lyrically, it is as close to perfection as I think any record will ever get.

There are four very famous songs on here, but they are just one dimension to Urban Hymns, there is so much more to this record than the first four singles. Even so, each is outstanding. Bitter Sweet Symphony is emphatic, euphoric and exhilarating. The strings begin, but once the beat kicks in it sends a chill down my spine. Sonnet is sweet, a beautiful acoustic song. The Drugs Don't Work was number one on the day of Princess Diana's death. It has another beautiful acoustic melody, but The Verve are so good at adding depth to their songs, this is them at their best. And Lucky Man, if I had to choose, this is my favourite song on the album. It has been such an inspiration to me at difficult times of my life, whenever I feel low I can play it and it reminds me of who I am.

Then there are the nine other songs here which really make the album into what it is - a masterpiece. That word is overused a lot in music but here it truly does apply. There are three songs I'd like to point out here, which show that The Verve are more than just a one man show, and that they know how to rock out as well. The Rolling People is a huge song, full of spark and craft, "here we are the Rolling People, can't stay for long, we gotta go." Weeping Willow is the hidden gem on this record, if you aren't paying attention it can pass you by, but stop and pause to listen to this because I assure you it will grab you and suck you in. This is one of the most intense songs I've ever heard. I'd been playing this album for seven years before I discovered how great Weeping Willow "the pills under my pillow" really was. Then there is the raging climax - Come On. It is completely different to all that went before because rather than encouraging you to reflect, it encourages you to stand up and shout, with a fist in the air, "**** you - Come On!" I cannot think of a better way to end an album like this, one that takes you on such a life affirming journey, than to finish with such a jubilant celebration.

And still, there so many more great songs on Urban Hymns... "I'm gonna keep Catching That Butterfly in that dream of mine... in a Neon Wilderness, he was restless... there ain't no Space And Time to keep our love alive... maybe One Day we will dance again... good times are hard to hold, This Time I'm gonna find... into the half light, another Velvet Morning".

Altogether, these thirteen songs make up seventy-six minutes of pure genius from start to finish. It represents a great year in modern history, 1997, a year of hope; expectation, celebration and tragedy; but in the end, this album is completely timeless. I love it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2013 9:15 AM BST

Black Holes and Revelations
Black Holes and Revelations

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid if not spectacular - it's still MUSE, 12 July 2006
With their eagerly anticipated fourth record Muse have attempted to take a bold step, but ended up making it only halfway. The result could easily have been messy, but somehow Matt Bellamy and co. have pulled it all together admirably.

I was never a huge fan of Absolution - in the way that I always felt like I wanted to stop listening after Butterflies & Hurricanes because the last few songs were so forgetable. What enthrals me about Black Holes & Revelations is that there are no weak points, as it flows from start to finish and climaxes triumphantly with the magnificant 'Knights of Cydonia'.

'Supermassive Black Hole' indicated a change in direction for the band which has never quite materialised on this album, there is no other song on this record which sounds anything like it. I have heard Bellamy say that he intended every song to be completely different, and this he has certainly achieved. Still, many of the tracks here capture the familiar Muse ethos of impending doom and apocolyptic landscapes - and isn't that what we all love about them anyway?

What some fans may miss is the emphasis on classical piano in many of the songs. There are no tracks like that here, at least not in the typical Matt Bellamy fashion. Piano and keyboards are used throughout, but not in the same way they have been before, and especially not in the way they were used in Origin. To some that may be a disappointment.

For me, while this record lacks some of the big impact songs that were found in abundance on Absolution, Black Holes still matches the overall quality of the record by being more cohesive and well-rounded. Yet the brilliance that is Origin of Symmetry is still a longway from being matched. No doubt whatever anyone says about Black Holes & Revelations, Muse will make it sound like a million dollars through their live performances, and if you witness such an event, you'll have no choice but to buy this.

Come On Die Young
Come On Die Young

5.0 out of 5 stars very dark - just how I like it, 7 Jun 2006
This review is from: Come On Die Young (Audio CD)
Previous to this I had never heard any of Mogwai's material. I bought this simply on the basis of recommendation and comparison to the likes of other post-rock protangonists such as Godspeed You Black Emperor. It bothers me now that it took me so long to take the plunge on Mogwai, for this album is truely fantastic and everything you could want from a post-rock record. I do not know if this is Mogwai's best work or not, but I'm sure it must rank highly.

This is the kind of dark, sinister, slow paced music that I love. It builds slowly, and leaves you in anticipation of what is to come. The first listen of this record in particular is really special. Some of the tracks are played over backgrounds which include, among others, commentary on an American Football game. But don't let that put you off, somehow it works. There are few lyrics. In fact all the tracks just seem to blend in with each other seemlessly, as if they were just played out altogther naturally without any previous thought.

It is the climax to this record which clinches the five stars. Christmas Steps is possibly the greatest post-rock track I've ever heard and is absolutely epic. The whole album is epic, and deserves the attention of anyone who is familiar with the offerings of post-rock and all that the genre means. Well done Mogwai, I shall shortly be investigating the rest of your catalogue.

On The Outside
On The Outside

4.0 out of 5 stars surprising third record from the forgotten band, 7 Jun 2006
This review is from: On The Outside (Audio CD)
Starsailor shot to prominance on the indie music scene with their debut Love Is Here in 2001, along with Coldplay and the like they were hailed as the next big thing. I loved their debut record but the singles released from their second offering, Silence Is Easy, failed to convince me that it was worth buying. Since then Starsailor fell off the radar altogther and I for one had forgotten they existed, save for the occasions when I wanted to listen to some of the sweet melodies and heartwarming lyrics from Love Is Here. Out of the blue in autumn last year Starsailor came back with single In The Crossfire and I was amazed at what I heard - surely this wasn't the piano tinkering harmless indie band of yesteryear?

Whether it was the criticism they recieved after Silence Is Easy that motivated them to write this record or not I don't know but it really is quite remarkable. Evident here is the kind of angst and anger usually associated with Nirvana. Ok this no Nevermind but it sure is grungy at times and the lyrics have taken on a personal sadness and even a political edge. Starsailor have really moved on admirably from their last album, emphasizing their songs with guitar riffs now in a way I would never have expected from them. It's a real progression and one that could have backfired, but then they didn't have much to left to lose.

The album is by no means flawless, and it losses momentum somewhat towards the end which is why I could only award four stars. But it finishes with the superb acoustic, thought provoking, Jeremiah. Starsailor have certainly come back in a big way - surprising indeed.

Singles, The [+DVD]
Singles, The [+DVD]
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars You're the right stuff, get my head straight, going up town!, 3 Jun 2006
This review is from: Singles, The [+DVD] (Audio CD)
The thing about greatest hits/best of/singles albums is that they are usually released at a time when the band is in decline. The startling thing about Feeder The Singles is that right now, at this moment, Feeder have never been better. The three brand new singles included on this record are three of the best songs they've ever done, on a par even with their biggest hit to date, Buck Rogers.

After the latest studio album Pushing The Senses received a mixed reaction from fans and critics alike, many were left wondering if Feeder had anything left in them. The release of Shatter late last year literally shattered that notion and Feeder were back doing what they do best - rocking out with tremendous rock/pop attitude. Lost & Found follows in a similar vein and demonstrates aptly that Feeder have finally turned a corner and are back to their very best. Burn the Bridges is an anthem in the making, as is Save Us which has one of those memorable choruses, "don't say goodbye, I know you can save us" and a few guitar solos to boot.

There are plenty more reasons to buy Feeder The Singles even if you already own the five previous studio albums. Including the new songs, five of the twenty singles here were never a part of any of Feeder's original albums (although Just A Day and Shatter appeared on the Japanese versions of Echo Park and Pushing The Senses respectively). There are also two songs here which that been reworked or re-recorded. Suffocate is the little known sixth cut from Feeder's debut album that has been transformed for The Singles into an achingly beautiful song to end the album.

I also urge everyone to get the DVD version of The Singles as it includes all 26 Feeder videos ever made, from the bad ones where they wear orange suits to the good ones where they drive trucks down busy highways.

What I love about Feeder The Singles more than anything is that it takes you on a musical ride from beginning to end, like you would expect any decent record to do, but which is not often found in a 'greatest hits' collection such as this. It's a shame that Feeder still remain so underated but for me, Feeder The Singles firmly entrenches Feeder as one of the best indie/rock bands of the last ten years, and Grant Nicholas as one of the greatest song writers of a generation. Awesome.

Pushing The Senses
Pushing The Senses
Offered by jim-exselecky

4.0 out of 5 stars woohohohohhh, 3 Feb 2005
This review is from: Pushing The Senses (Audio CD)
Feeder returned in January with their indie-ballad Tumble and Fall. It wasn't quite the bang I was hoping for, but this album proves Feeder are still live and kicking, and they're gonna be rocking out for a while yet. Feeling a Moment is an absolute classic Feeder tune with an addictive chorous and is sure to be a massive single when it gets released as I'm sure it will. Bitter Glass is a solid rocking track and then Tumble and Fall leaves you feeling all warm inside.. Tender is pleasant without being memorable while the title track adds a little momentum.. Frequency and Morning Life are a pair of really gracious melodies that highlight Grant's talent for songwriting before Pilgrim Soul hits you with a wall of guitar fueled Feeder rocking style, that will be filling a stadium near you soon. Pain on Pain does a poor job of following it while Dove Grey Sands brings a tuneful, if a little abrupt, end to Feeder's 5th album.
This is an enjoyable, sometimes rocking, sometimes reflective, Feeder album that leaves you longing for a wee bit more Echo Park energy and Comfort in Sound craft.. but those were both awesome albums and Feeder have continued to weave some magic with Pushing the Senses, if not quite making the same impression.

Kasabian
Kasabian

5.0 out of 5 stars KASABIAN are here!!!, 6 Sep 2004
This review is from: Kasabian (Audio CD)
finally they have arrived. Kasabian have been around for ages but only today is their debut released and I'm pleased to say it does not dissapoint. I've waited in much anticipation for this album since I saw Kasabian live back in January. they were awesome then, and now this record lives up to every expectation. the big anthems of LSF, Reason is Treason and Club Foot are all here along with some more huge beats. their style is slick and heavy with emphasis in every song on drum beats and bass lines. just when you think the pace may have relented Kasabian hit you with another banging tune. there is no room for rubbish here, it's just straight down the line heavy beats and funky sounds all the way. a little experimentation is thrown in for good measure but the synthesisers always add to the music and intensify the experience. KASABIAN are here. and now we all know.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3