Profile for J. Cracknell > Reviews

Content by J. Cracknell

J. Cracknell "james_the_brains" (Bristol)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3

4.0 out of 5 stars consistent stuff, 4 Dec. 2002
This review is from: Weathered (Audio CD)
a few listens of "My Sacrifice" and I bought this album in the hope I would find more of the same. essentially, I did. It's still my favourite song on the album, but the melodies and vocals on the other tracks are equal to it. I would quite simply describe this as emotional rock music and sweet vocals (provided by Scott Stapp), but there's more to it than that. Features include Cherokee Indian praying, a boys' choir and a female singer also called Stapp (presumably the wife/sister of Scott). One of the best tracks is "who's got my back?" which, although takes about 4 minutes to get going, does eventually lead to a quality crescendo. Nothing beats "My Sacrifice" though - thanx to Survivior Series 2001 for bringing me this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautifully random, 4 Dec. 2002
This review is from: Toxicity (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the recommendation of my friend. He also warned me of it's randomness. Well on first listen you can see what he means, it just sounds like twisted pick'n'mix rock music and insanely loud screaming. Despite this I played it again, and again, and again, because I knew here was something special. The songs open up, like a clearing fog, or something. Very high tempo heavy riffs, followed by slow melodic intervals that break up the music so well. The lyrics follow the theme with equally random lines, such as "pull the tapeworm out of your ***". I think only the band themselves can explain those. I had heard one of the songs before buying Toxicity, but Aerials is not such a good guide to the rest of the album. After hearing the thirteen tracks before it, Aerials sounds plain and boring in comparison. Amoung my favourites are Chop Seuy!, Prison Song, Psycho, Atwa... in fact I could name most of them. The vocals of -whoever it is that sings- carry the songs so well, perfectly switching between shouting warbbles and sweet harmonies. Probably the best example is Prison Song: "They tried to build a prison! - for you and me, oh baby,". Really I cannot describe anymore how this album sounds. Just find out for yourself. enjoy!

A Rush Of Blood To The Head
A Rush Of Blood To The Head
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars BETTER than Parachutes, 17 Sept. 2002
nuff said really. This album is bigger, better, louder than Parachutes, which itself was a fantastic album. Each song rises to a crescendo, with piano, guitars and drums combining to great effect.
Quite simply, anyone who likes music should buy this album.

In Utero
In Utero
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars All in all is all we all are, 29 Jun. 2002
This review is from: In Utero (Audio CD)
After hearing Nevermind and loving it, I bought another Nirvana album, In Utero. I loved Nevermind the first time I played it, but it took a couple of plays for me to like In Utero. The first thing I noticed was that a few of the songs are very similar to the ones from Nevermind. The opening to "Rape me" is almost exactly the same as that of "smells like teen spirit". As "Dumb" is to "Polly". But this doesn't make them bad songs, both are in fact very good and even made me laugh.
In general, the songs on In Utero aren't as tuneful as those from Nevermind, but still enjoyable. My favourites are "Serve the servants" , "Heart shaped box" , "Rape me" and "All apologies". Actually I think "All apologies" is definately the best track on the album.

Overall not as good as Nevermind, as it probably wouldn't appeal to so many people, but for those who love rock this is a fantastic album.

2002 FIFA World Cup (PS2)
2002 FIFA World Cup (PS2)
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

4.0 out of 5 stars the FIFA World Cup in all its glory., 6 May 2002
Before this the last football game I bought was FIFA 2001 on the Playstation. When I played FIFA World Cup 2002 (for the PS2), most of the problems with 2001 had been sorted. The gameplay has been changed significantly. The power bar and the airplay system makes the game more of a simulation, the through runs feature works very well and the effectiveness of special moves has been brought down. You now need to think about your attacks, timing runs and weighting passes. The power bar allows you to score a diverse range of goals from outside the area and crossing has to be a lot more accurate.
So the gameplay has been changed for the better, but what always attracts me to FIFA games is the presentation, graphics, commentary, music, sound effects and FMV sequences. None of these dissapoint. The atmosphere is the best yet, with crowd specific chants and you really feel like it is the world cup. I was amazed by the graphics, I was actually recognising players. The commentary is from Motson and Gray. Andy Gray provides a lot of statistics and history on teams but repeats himself too often. The official World Cup anthem is used on the menus, intros and even goal celebrations which dramatises the whole game. Even a consolation goal is celebrated like a last minute winner.
What lets the game down is the lack of options. Only Friendly and World Cup modes are offered. There are bonus features like an interview with Motty but with the change in gameplay, a training mode would have been greatly appreciated. Winning the world cup unlocks hidden teams but you can still only use them in friendlies. I am a huge fan of the world cup and this game is hugely enjoyable for that aspect. But if you want more than the World Cup, buy FIFA 2002.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3