Profile for cornishlee > Reviews

cornishlee

Razer Deathadder Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Razer Deathadder Ergonomic Gaming Mouse

4.0 out of 5 stars Replacing the Microsoft Intellimouse 2.0, 3 Oct. 2014
With my new laptop experiencing serial difficulties with Bluetooth connections, I decided it was time to replace my much loved Microsoft Intellimouse 2.0. With Microsoft having replaced that model at least four times, and now not making anything similar at all, that proved quite difficult.

Eventually, I decided to plumb for this mouse and I think I probably made the right choice, even if it's not perfect. Use of a pair of vernier callipers tells me that this mouse has the exact same dimensions as my old one but it feels smaller. I suspect this may be due to the subtly different shape, with my little finger splayed more. It is also, of course, lighter than my old mouse since it doesn't contain any batteries. I have to say that I actually miss that weight but I suspect I'm probably in a minority in liking my tools to have a bit of weight behind them.

The five button layout is familiar from my old mouse but I do miss the sideways scroll feature of the middle button on the Intellimouse. Although this mouse can be used in a plug and play way it's also possible to download configuration software (Razer Synapse) from the manufacturer's website. Sadly this can't add the sideways scrolling function that I miss but it does at least allow me to turn off the obnoxious glowing light.

Overall, this feels like a fairly well made peripheral and it's to be recommended to anyone wanting an ergonomic mouse that doesn't need all of the macro buttons present on many 'gaming' mice (I do feel like the big manufacturers are ignoring a sizeable market here). Unfortunately, if you need your mouse to be wireless then you'll need to keep looking further but this is at least unobtrusive (or can be made to be so after downloading that configuration software).

Mionix Zibal 60 (PC DVD)
Mionix Zibal 60 (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, quality keyboard, 3 Oct. 2014
Having had a lot of problems with my bluetooth connection on my new laptop I eventually reached the decision that I had to replace my old 'Microsoft Keyboard Elite' with a wired unit. Decision made, I knew I wanted something that was both good quality and discrete. It took a little research but I'm very happy with the Mionix Zibal 60. It seems that keyboards generally fall into one of three categories now: 1) the cheap kind that are no different from those included with an entry-level desktop PC; 2) split-layout keyboards and 3) gaming keyboards.

There was no way I was going to pay money for something in the first bracket. There's also no way that I'm learning a new way to type, so the split layout boards were also out. Gaming keyboards, meanwhile, typically look ridiculous and have a host of unnecessary macro keys. The Zibal is different, then, in looking like an ordinary keyboard and not a prop for a Rick Wakeman concept tour but offering top levels of build quality. The font used for the keys is normal and the layout is standard, all of which you can tell from the picture.

The keyboard ships with the backlighting turned off by default, so if this is something that might put you off then don't let it. It's a plug and play keyboard so there are no drivers to install or settings to configure. The single additional key present acts like the function key on a laptop and gives access to some basic media keys on the function buttons and also control over the back-lighting, should you want to turn it on (if you do, there are three levels of brightness as well as options for all keys lit, none or the gamer's favourite 'WASD' lit). It would be nice to add a couple more options to this configuration, for example hotkeys for the character map and the calculator (one of the few macro buttons I used on my old keyboard) but as a plug and play device this isn't possible (edit: I've since learned that there is an existing option within Windows 7 to assign keystrokes to launch applications).

I'm not interested in the various input options that this keyboard offers but others might be, so I'll offer a couple of notes. Firstly, yes there are two USB sockets on the back of the keyboard but it's worth noting that to use it you'll have to use two USB sockets on your computer - one to plug the keyboard in and one to power the USB 'hub'. What this means is that it's not a viable option for someone seeking to significantly boost the number of USB sockets they have via an integrated hub, rather it shifts two sockets from your computer to your desk, which may at least be of use to some people whose USB sockets are otherwise difficult to access. The two USB plugs (powering the keyboard and the 'hub') split from the end of a heavy-duty braided cable which emerges from the centre of the back of the keyboard. Also splitting from the end of this braid are two 3.5mm audio jack plugs. These are used for audio out and mic in. I've never used a headset or other microphone so I don't know how common this setup is but it seems a little awkward to me and, being removed from the keyboard I can't see how it would be any more convenient than the sockets already on your computer.

Overall then, this is a keyboard which seeks to do little more than be the best quality simple keyboard (the optional palm rest is a solid piece of plastic that feels comfortable even if it lacks the cushion of my old keyboard). I think there's a niche for that and I'm part of it. One final comment: the keys. If this doesn't sound too strange. Typing hasn't been this comfortable since I don't know when. The action of the keys really is that much better than pretty much any other keyboard I've ever used.

If anyone reading this still wants to find out more, I found the following review helpful in making my mind up: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/peripherals/input-devices/keyboards/mionix-zibal-60-1036635/review

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading description., 11 Dec. 2013
Wish I'd paid attention to the other review on here. I bought this because I have an Animal watch which takes an 18mm strap and at present this is the only 18mm strap that they offer. When it arrived I was dismayed by the huge width of the strap - 33mm. Only after that did I notice the instructions on the back of the pack to reduce the width of the strap with a pair of scissors.

Animal used to make quality products. Now it seems that they don't fully support their own products and I'm left with a watch strap design I don't like and which I have to bodge to get to fit my watch. I'll be avoiding them in future.

Graham Webb Brit Style Wax Pomade 50 ml or 1.7oz
Graham Webb Brit Style Wax Pomade 50 ml or 1.7oz
Offered by Sam Store US

1.0 out of 5 stars 'Brit Style'?, 9 July 2013
Apparently the manufacturer's definition of the term is rather different to my own - you can forget any ideas about tweed. It's not made clear in the product description that this product is blue and sparkly. Frankly, I don't want my hands and hair to be glittering like a fairy all day and this is now going straight in the bin. A complete waste of my money - and it wasn't cheap.

Aluminium Free Aloe Vera Deodorant Stick
Aluminium Free Aloe Vera Deodorant Stick
Offered by Aroma

1.0 out of 5 stars It burns, 8 Jan. 2013
Contains zinc ricinoleate which resulted in my skin being painful, red and peeling. A quick search on the web reveals that this is a not uncommon problem. If you don't have an allergy to it then the deodorant probably works fine but it could be a painful experience finding out! Incidentally, I have also used deodorants by Tom's of Maine and Green People and experienced the same problem with each of them. l'Occitane are the only company I have found so far which avoids the chemical, which is the active ingredient in each of the others, unfortunately their products are considerably more expensive.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2015 1:19 AM BST

Global Game Gear GGG0002 18 Foot Wireless Extension Cable for Nintendo Wii
Global Game Gear GGG0002 18 Foot Wireless Extension Cable for Nintendo Wii
Offered by SortedBits

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor service and poor quality, 4 Jan. 2013
I don't normally mention the service - after all this is meant to be a product review. Since this is explicitly a third party listing, however, I think it's valid. The company sent me an email advising next day delivery via City Link, containing a tracking number. The item eventually turned up five days later via Royal Mail. That was very odd behaviour.

When the item did arrive I immediately noticed that it wasn't the item pictured in the listing, it was in fact this one: 18 foot long Sensor Bar Extension Cable for Nintendo Wii. That wouldn't be the end of the world if it worked though, and it doesn't. Judging by the other two reviews on here it would seem to be a case of pot luck with this product - it's only a cable with a plug on either end so if it doesn't work that means the plugs (sealed, so you can't get in and have a look) aren't connected properly.

I've now purchased an Officially Licensed Wireless Sensor Bar (Nintendo Wii U). It's considerably more expensive but works fine.

Europa Minor Notepad Wirebound Elasticated Ruled 80gsm 120 Pages 127x76mm Black Ref 3012 [Pack 10]

5.0 out of 5 stars By far the best notebooks I have used, 26 Mar. 2012
I first bought some of these in an airport a few years ago. When I ran out I looked around and ended up buying the Moleskine reporters notebooks instead. I'm so glad that I have found these again. They're slightly smaller than the Moleskine book and so fit in your pocket better. The fact that they are spiral bound means that you can write fully to the top of the page on both sides easily and, lastly, they're a lot cheaper than the Moleskine (the only comparable product I could find - ie. a small, top edge bound bound notebook with a fastener).

All round, if you need to carry a notebook in your pocket for any reason then is by far the most practical product I have found - and at a very good price too!

Talk Now Learn Mongolian: Essential Words and Phrases for Absolute Beginners (PC/Mac)

2.0 out of 5 stars You need good ears for this, 21 Feb. 2011
I've used other Eurotalk language DVDs in the past and generally been quite satisfied with them. Those have all been for languages which use the Roman script, however.

The big problem with this software package is that it uses the Cyrillic alphabet for all Mongolian words. If you're used to the pronunciation of this alphabet, that's fine. I'm not and it presents a big problem to me, as it leaves me reliant on hearing the words and approximating them with no visual guide. I know there's no single agreed way of writing Mongolian using Roman characters, but some sort of attempt to do so, alongside the standard Cyrillic spelling would be a great help for most Western learners.

Sandisk 32GB Extreme Cruzer Contour - Retail Pack
Sandisk 32GB Extreme Cruzer Contour - Retail Pack

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product let down by lack of key-ring, 26 Sept. 2010
I had one of these for over a year (maybe 18 months, I can't remember). In all that time, I used it most days and I carried it in my pocket constantly (including when carrying out fieldwork in extreme conditions) and its performance was undiminished and its surface unmarked.

Unfortunately, I lost it last week (in a UK pub, of all places). I'm convinced that this would not have happened had it had a method of attaching it to my keys.

Having lost it once, and being slightly concerned about the security of my research data, I'm now trying to decide between replacing the drive like for like, or getting a Corsair Survivor, which looks rugged, has similar performance and encryption and DOES have a way of attaching it to your keys, but is much, much bulkier.