Profile for B. A. Chatzis > Reviews

Content by B. A. Chatzis

B. A. Chatzis "06bac" (London)

Dungeons & Dragons Starter Box (D&d Boxed Game)
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Box (D&d Boxed Game)
by Wizards of the Coast
Edition: Misc. Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect introduction, 23 Dec 2014
I would like to iron out a few issues that some of the negative reviewers have had before explaining why I believe this product deserves the 5 stars I have given it.
People are complaining about a lack of counters and maps etc, but those are not required to play, they are just an added bonus that many DMs enjoy to use in their campaigns. There is no character generation either as it was designed with a "pick up and play" attitude for beginners. It seems that the ideal group to benefit from this starter set is made up of a DM with some experience in playing the game, spectating the game, or just prior knowlege of the game, and a group of complete beginners to play the characters. The pre generated characters are there to simplify the rather daunting learning curve, and to get players straight into the action. For further customisation, wizards of the coast provided a free pdf to download from their site with the character gen rules in. I was a huge fan of the lack of counters included as it forced my group to start the campaign using just our imaginations to portray the combat scenes. Sure it may have been slightly less accurate, but this edition is all about role playing and enjoying the game instead of "meta-gaming". I had a huge success introducing 4 friends into the world of dnd with this product. I believe this is due to the fact that they turned up, sat down, were given their sheets, read over them for five to ten minutes, listened to the rules and quickly got stuck in. The campaign itself is lots of fun with twists and turns in the story as well as being a great buffer to starting a hoard of the dragon queen campaign!

Final Fantasy XIV: Standard Edition (PC DVD)
Final Fantasy XIV: Standard Edition (PC DVD)
Offered by rockaway-records

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of the actual game., 31 Aug 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Hiya,
so as everyone knows there have been a fair few issues regarding servers in this game. SqEnix didn't anticipate the demand at all. People can talk about how they had stress tests, but lets be honest - the majority of the people who bought the game, bought it after release so were not part of the stress test.
I personally haven't found it too much of an issue. The longest I had to wait to log in was about 15-20 mins. But it is being fixed!
I remember the issues with GW2, the bugs in that. People say how smooth that was on release, I'm inclined to call them about equal to be honest.

Now, the game itself.
I've come from trying out many MMORPGs such as the forementioned Guild Wars 2, Tera, Star wars the Old Republic and World of Warcraft. I have also tried others, like Defiance. I always found that after a few hours play each I'd find myself bored. Sure there might be the odd "NEW" factor, but I was never gripped. Thus, I always ended up back on battle.net renewing my sub..

Well, I think I've found my new alternative. I love story driven games, ones that make me enjoy the levelling process. Games that make me feel like I'm contributing, that give me a reason to want to kill a mob etc, or to find out what happens next in the story.
Out of all MMOs I've tried, this is the first to really grip me.
The first couple of hours I literally was just walking about the starting town, learning about the lore and exploring the different places.
Its amazing. Stunningly beautiful and seriously well made.
I decided enough was enough and it was time to get my combat on, so got the quests, got my hunter log, and went out to burn some bugs!
Well, the combat system is fantastic looking, logical and pretty easy to get to grips with. Cast bars are easily seen, with timers etc, HUD is well laid out. Killing little bugs has never been so interesting.

There are literally hundreds of ways to get xp. From the FATEs - similar to the events in GW2, the hunter log, quests, dungeons, daily things. All fantastic.
The whole mechanic seemed daunting at first - so many classes you can play, so many proffessions you can do. On 1 character!
But its such a dream to play that you pick it up seemlessly.

I love it, and can not wait for the next main patch - due in November apparently :)

Happy gaming.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 1, 2013 1:27 AM BST

Halo 4 (Xbox 360)
Halo 4 (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic from a long time fan., 11 Nov 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Halo 4 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I remember playing Halo 1 as a kid, about 12ish, maybe younger. I never had an xbox - parents got me a GC instead. I remember going to a mates house and instantly begging to continue our coop campaign. We must have completed it 3-4 times. I dreamt about the animation when you rifle butted someone. It was THE gaming experience.

I pre ordered this game a bit weary. 343 had re-made the first halo which doesn't show at all what sort of direction they were heading in. When their mini web series came out I got HYPED. I started reading the Halo books etc. I saw a few trailers showing this new species/race and was worried. Had 343 decided they were going to rewrite the Halo franchise? Did they feel like they needed to prove something so bit off more then they could chew? No. I digested it in 1 sitting with a friend. Because the Coop skips the intro mission it cuts around an hour of gameplay off - it took us 6 hours to complete. Those 6 hours were some of the best ever I had playing a game. The story managed to tie in with the Halo books and previous games pretty well. The new race was exciting and didnt feel like any sort of gimmick. When we first picked up one of the new weapons I nearly dropped the controller from the awesome animation. This game is filled with fantastic combat and a great story. For Halo vets, to people new to the series (though I'd recommend some background reading to be honest). The online play seems fantastic also, but I havent played enough to really say. I urge you to buy this game, seriously. All my hesitations were put to ease within the first 30 seconds of gameplay, and I am already planning on another run through with the same mate next time he's over.