Profile for Bookworm > Reviews

The History of Christian Europe
The History of Christian Europe
by G.R. Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read., 7 Jun. 2015
This is another excellent and very readable book for anyone wanting to become more familiar with the 2,000 year history of Christianity. It covers the various schisms such as that which occurred with the Latin and Orthodox churches, and later, with the Protestant reformation. What struck me as interesting was discovering that many of the breakaway Protestant churches found themselves re-inventing the wheel, i.e when they held councils to discuss matters of theology, which had already been discussed by the Catholic Church at similar councils centuries before. Obviously, such a long piece of history (2,000 years) means the author can only gloss over some events, but it gives enough of an overall view to go on to understanding further study better.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Mac/CD)
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Mac/CD)

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe there was something wrong with this version, but ..., 7 Jun. 2015
Maybe there was something wrong with this version, but the controls seemed very hard to operate, compared to other Aspyr games (eg Call of Duty) and sometimes the characters got stuck on levels and I had no idea how to move them on.

Call of Duty (Mac)
Call of Duty (Mac)

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this game, 7 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Call of Duty (Mac) (Video Game)
I loved this game, played it for several months, fighting my way across Europe until one night I awoke mumbling something about 'check the perimeter... mortars..." and my wife made me pack it in!

The Clifton House Mystery - The Complete Series [DVD] [1978]
The Clifton House Mystery - The Complete Series [DVD] [1978]
Dvd ~ Sebastian Breaks

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this. I had never seen it as a ..., 7 Jun. 2015
I loved this. I had never seen it as a child, but it's just the kind of ghost story / TV series I think any child or young teen would enjoy. Of course being a 1970s series, it lacks the kind of special FX and high-octane adrenalin rush that seems to characterize every kid's movie these days. It's just a different style and should be enjoyed for what it is.

Richard III: The King in the Carpark + Richard III: The Unseen Story [DVD]
Richard III: The King in the Carpark + Richard III: The Unseen Story [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-see for all those with an interest in Richard III, 7 Jun. 2015
Loved this DVD, it covers the whole story of the discover of Richard III's remains in the carpark and the multi-disciplinary approach taken to ensure the identification of the remains was proven beyond all reasonable doubt. I would like to have seen a bit more about the steps taken to identify the probable site of Richard's burial, I felt this was glossed over in the opening minutes of the DVD. Apart from that, excellent.

Ghost Stories from the BBC: The Stalls of Barchester / A Warning to the Curious [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Hardy
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars MR James' fans will enjoy!, 7 Jun. 2015
It was my father who long ago gave me a copy of MR James' ghost stories one Christmas. I often thought they'd make great short films and these adaptations are a very good effort. The style of TV back in the 60s and 70s was 'slower' than it is today, but in a way that suits the tone of MR James' books better. though I think they could be redone using more modern CGI and SFX without necessarily having to lose any of that 'cosy' feeling.

Fathom Five (Piper)
Fathom Five (Piper)
by Robert Westall
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars The further adventures of Chassie McGill, 7 Jun. 2015
I read Robert Westall's "The Machine Gunners" when I was in my teens and I loved it. Not only did he seem to have a real insight into the mind of a child, but he had such a skill with words I still re-read the book from time to time for the sheer pleasure of it. "Fathom Five" takes up the adventures of "The Machine Gunners" Chassie McGill (the main character) but I don't think it's as good. It lacks the same skill with words, though I don't know why that should be so, and it seems to just plod along. I suppose one problem is that if you've read "The Machine Gunners" you will associate Chassie McGill with 'the gang' - Audrey, Nicholas, Carrot Juice, Cem and even the bully Boddser Brown. And in "Fathom Five' McGill seems a bit lost with this supporting cast.

Ghost Story [DVD] [1974]
Ghost Story [DVD] [1974]
Dvd ~ Penelope Keith
Offered by FREETIME

3.0 out of 5 stars Weird, mildly entertaining., 7 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Ghost Story [DVD] [1974] (DVD)
A fairly weird ghost story. I suppose it was typical of the kind of experimental movies that were made in the 70s, but today it seems both gauche and dated. The scenery of India (where it was filmed) is lovely, though it looks amazingly like England most of the time.

Final Cut Express For Dummies
Final Cut Express For Dummies
by Helmut Kobler

4.0 out of 5 stars A pretty good introduction to Final Cut, 7 Jun. 2015
A pretty good introduction to Final Cut. Even though Final Cut Express lacks some of the features (and codecs) of Final Cut Pro, the interface is much the same, and anyone could use this book to get familiar with either system. The exercises are all in NTSC which is a pity for PAL regions, they could have done a hybrid DVD for the exercise clips. These days HD has taken over anyway, so I suppose it wouldn't make much difference.

The Roman Catholic Church: An Illustrated History
The Roman Catholic Church: An Illustrated History
by Edward Norman

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, factual read, 7 Jun. 2015
Not bad, a pretty good and readable account of the history and motivations Catholic Church. These days many people seem to have very little actual grasp on either history or motivation of the Roman Church, perhaps taking Dan Brown's fictional novels as fact, so it is worth reading this book to be well-informed on one of the most significant religions to emerge in human history and understand how it helped shape our world and society.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3