Profile for Dr. J. Reade > Reviews

Content by Dr. J. Reade

Dr. J. Reade "Ev*Et*PRMT" (Shropshire)

Unsolved London Murders: The 1920s and 1930s (True Crime from Wharncliffe)
Unsolved London Murders: The 1920s and 1930s (True Crime from Wharncliffe)
by Jonathan Oates

5.0 out of 5 stars A very well written book, 10 Nov. 2013
I am very much enjoying this well written and researched book. The field of True Crime is filled with books which rehash well told cases again and again. Not the case with this book. What is presented here is new ground - cases not reported in most books and all are freshly researched with new information sources.

The writing is also evocative in that it brings alive the decades it reports on. As such it is also important social history.

Thank you to the author - I will be searching out more of your works.

The Voynich Manuscript
The Voynich Manuscript

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was after, 20 July 2013
This Kindle book is high quality scans of each page of the manuscript

For the price I paid (£3.99) this is very good value in my view

Displays beautifully on my I-pad

A great way to access this enigmatic flora

Murderous Birmingham (Executed of the Twentieth Cent)
Murderous Birmingham (Executed of the Twentieth Cent)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great piece of social history, 2 May 2011
A detailed account of the murders of Birmingham that resulted in the person responsible being executed in the 20th century.

This book offers a description of the crime, the court case, the appeals and the outcome of each case. These are well written, clear and free from errors and contradictions (something that is not the case in works of a similar kind by other authors).

But, to me, it is as important as a social history of the times when the crimes were committed. It offers a valuable window to how life was at various points in 20th century Birmingham. The streets, pubs and other places mentioned still exist, but society has changed completely since the times of these crimes. It is wonderful to experience how things were, even if it is via the tragic events described.

I highly recommend this book.

A note on the Kindle edition: largely it is presented very well. There are a number of hyphens wrongly introduced into words and, in one or two places, a duplicated sentence. Given the price I paid for the Kindle version (less than £1.50) I feel these are acceptable as the work still reads perfectly well.

On the basis of this title I have bought others by the same author, covering other areas of England.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 11, 2012 2:41 AM BST

Darkness Under the Sun
Darkness Under the Sun

5.0 out of 5 stars Great atmosphere, 5 Jan. 2011
I had not read anything by Koontz before and downloaded this along with a whole load of other texts that were being offered free at the time.

The story grabbed me right away, kept me engrossed and will stay with me for a long time. I don't like reviews that give away the story so all I will say is it is very atmospheric and fundimental too. Reminded me of the wonderfully dark film "Night of the Hunter".

This is a short story ... but it is long enough to get inside you and stay there.

My first Koontz but it won't be my last.

Moxie Girlz Arttitude Airbrush Fashion Gallery
Moxie Girlz Arttitude Airbrush Fashion Gallery
Offered by gosling toys

1.0 out of 5 stars This product does not work!, 30 Dec. 2009
This product claims to contain a working airbrush. This is not the case. It is telling that commercials for the product do not show the airbrush in action. A pump blows air over the end of a pen and only succeeds in drying the pen out. Very poor design and clearly 'not fit for purpose'. Am considering contacting the manufacturers regarding this.

The Rough Guide to Cult Fiction (Rough Guides Reference Titles)
The Rough Guide to Cult Fiction (Rough Guides Reference Titles)
by Paul Simpson

5.0 out of 5 stars A "must have" book, 4 Sept. 2006
This little volume is a real gem. Full of information on authors, books and more, it is the ultimate "dip into" read.

So many books are covered here - and I think that everyone should find at least a handful that they have not read.

And this is the main roll of this book - as a pointer to other works that might be of interest.

Also each book/author is linked to influences and what they have influenced - allowing readers to follow streams of cult fiction as they develop and evolve.

Also included are tips on writing a cult novel if anyone should wish to try (although surely trying to write something to be cult might stop it from being one).

I would recommend this book to anyone who has ever enjoyed the buzz of Naked Lunch, Gravity's Rainbow or Nausea.