Profile for Jacek S. Witak > Reviews

How to Survive Summer Camp
How to Survive Summer Camp
by Jacqueline Wilson

4.0 out of 5 stars My childs review, 8 April 2011
How To Survive Summer Camp is a book about a girl witch doesn't want to go to a summer school but her parents force her. The main character -Stella by mistake gets her hair cut off like a boy! At the camp other kids call her Baldy. She immediately gains two dormi enemies and a few enemy teachers.

At first I was very disappointed about the ilustrator. But later it didn't realy matter.

Confessions Of A French Baker: Breadmaking secrets, tips and recipes
Confessions Of A French Baker: Breadmaking secrets, tips and recipes
by Peter Mayle

1.0 out of 5 stars Look elsewhere, 17 Mar. 2008
I am a home baker with a few bread baking books "under my belt". I also love books that tell us about simple pleasures of life. Among them, other books by Peter Mayle.

When buying Confessions... I expected a few stories about the bakery, along the lines of Maggie Glezer's Artisan Baking, or Joe Ortiz's The Village Baker. I thought I would find a few trade tricks, or "secrets" that will help me bring out flavour more successfully. And, maybe as a bonus, one or two interesting recipies, not to mention the atmosphere that was in some earlier works by that author.

If you just began your bread baking adventure, you will not learn from this book enough to succeed. Try Joe Ortiz's The Village Baker, or Daniel Leader's Bread Alone, or Peter Reinhart's Crust and Crumb, or The Bread Baker's Apprentice (for the more detail oriented).

If you read a few bread baking books, and you tried several recipies, you will not learn much from this one. It focuses on direct method and white flour only, so ... look elsewhere.

If you think it will be just a nice story about good life in the south of France, a bit like Year in Provence, or Good Year (the film, not the book)... look elsewhere.

It's not even a good read. It seems a case of an author and publisher milking the former's (ailing ?) brand.

Don't buy it ... sadly look elsewhere.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2010 6:42 PM BST