Profile for K Powell Edwards > Reviews

Content by K Powell Edwards

K Powell Edwards (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Quietly Confident: How to Think, Feel and Communicate Calmly and Confidently in Situations that Matter to You
by Mr Terry Gillen

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent guide to confidence that could be used as a portable coaching or training guide, 17 May 2016
I’ve known the author for several years. He is an experienced author and trainer, and delivered the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development’s extremely successful ‘Positive Influencing Skills’ course.

I know he invests extensive time and effort into his training and writing so I was interested to learn what he had to say in his latest book ‘Quietly Confident’

The sub title of the book is ‘How to think, feel and communicate calmly and confidently in situations that matter to you’.

The author starts the book with ‘Essential Terms’, where he identifies key phrases used in the book, together with explanations.

Chapter 1 ‘Something worth thinking about’
This chapter firstly covers thinking and its impact. There is a short questionnaire to self-assess levels of confidence, and from this we are invited to reflect on which questions registered most, which were most uncomfortable and which we would most like to change. The author then offers a Quick Start Guide, with seven suggestions to start behaving more confidently.

Chapter 2 ‘Confidence, reality, chickens and spirals’
This chapter is designed to help the reader understand important principles about confidence. It describes what confidence is, and puts confidence under the microscope where the reader is invited to consider how much confidence is wanted and in what situations it is wanted.

Chapter 3 ‘What’s stopping you?’
In this chapter we are told about the five features of brain processing that affect confidence:-
• The effect of evolution
• Giants and rules
• Paradigms and programs
• Your fiddling filter
• A gremlin in the machine

This chapter was a useful reminder of what gets in the way with my own confidence, and I will revisit when I am not feeling as confident as required.

Chapter 4 ‘Making the brain work for you – how to feel confident’
Following on from identifying the brain processing that affects confidence, this chapter explores how to amend the programming in the brain, in the subconscious.

Focusing on how to think confidently, the author identified five important concepts ‘that form the key to tagging new instructions onto existing programs’. We are advised how to switch our reference point, to redirect our motivation, use perceptual positioning, to reframe, to use positive words and several other ways we can make our brain work for us.

Chapter 5 ‘Making your behaviour work for you – how to behave confidently’
This chapter focuses on how to behave confidently. Included in this chapter are four simple tips that ‘have a disproportionally big effect’ (smiling, walking with a purpose, making eye contact, sit and stand like a newsreader), along with other tips, such as modelling, making requests, handling put downs.

Chapter 6 ‘How to be a radiator rather than a drain’
This chapter covers how to behave to make other people feel good, practice quietly confident behaviours, attract positive behaviour from other people. It focuses on behaving as a radiator, rather than as a drain, and the impact of behaving in this way.

Chapter 7 ‘Magnificent you’
In this chapter the author asks ‘How can you make what you have learned (in the book) a way of life?’ The chapter covers quiet confidence and the cumulative effect, habit, discovering new lands, the tipping point and what do you want? - all ways that the information in the previous chapters can be put into practice.

Chapter 8 ‘Final thoughts’
This short chapter picks some quotes from people that proved to be wrong (and demonstrates how the way our brain is programmed can get in the way) and positive sayings.

To summarise
This is not a big book (143 pages) however it is packed with information.

It could be described as a portable coaching or training guide to

• pick up when something is getting in the way of thinking or behaving confidently:- “Oh that’s why that’s happening, how can I deal with it so it’s not causing me problems?”

• revisit for some inspiration and support when an extra dollop of confidence is required, for example, going for an interview, making a presentation, dealing with a challenging situation.

The Liquid Thinking Survival Guide to Change
The Liquid Thinking Survival Guide to Change
by Damian Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars A well structured approach to applying best practice when managing change, 9 Dec. 2014

This is a book about surviving change. 'Project SURVIVING CHANGE'. The chapter headings indicate what they cover
• Changing Room - Introduction
• Chapter 8 Change your Mind
• Chapter 9 Ring the Changes
• Chapter 10 Circle of Change
• Final thought and Appendix

The book has a strong sporting theme. Several forewords and testimonials are from people involved in high level sports and many stories and role models involve sports people.

The layout is more magazine than book, ring bound, square shaped, lots of graphics and colour. There are numerous exercises to apply the learning.

I will be honest. The book stayed on the shelf and I delayed reading it. In hindsight, the reasons for my procrastination were

• The strong sports theme. My instinctive response was 'I'm not in the sporting world'
• The exercises. I knew I would be obliged to invest effort in working through the exercises if I were to read the book as required.

Then I had a short holiday in the Lake District and decided to take the book with me. Away from the distractions of life, chilling out, I started the book, and finished it in two days.

It is an easy and enjoyable book to read. The layout, colour and graphics add visual interest. The stories engage. Damien has a fluid writing style. Very soon the book had underlines, notes and completed exercises.

I'm a serial book and article reader, conference attendee. I've researched performance for a master's level thesis. I know about change management.

What this book gives the reader is a well structured approach to applying best practice. The recipe is clear, practical, applicable, interesting and engaging. Deceptively simple with activities that can be used by anyone who wants to improve their performance, confidence and credibility.

I learnt new things. One of the most impactful learning's was about perspective. Damian Hughes relates the story of the Beatle George Harrison, who, when song writing, agonised for hours over a single word. This delayed his progress. When writing his classic song 'Something', according to George Martin, Harrison had written the first line but couldn't find a suitable second line. His progress was stymied. John Lennon, who knew about the importance of perspective completed the second line with a phrase that made no sense, but that scanned, and advised Harrison to use this as a strategy to move on, make progress, that he could return and revise later.

As a fledgling book writer I will be using this learning frequently. As a Beatle fan it is a learning that helps to change my focus to a more positive one.

Clarity: Clear Mind, Better Performance, Bigger Results
Clarity: Clear Mind, Better Performance, Bigger Results
by Jamie Smart

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts, 14 May 2013
I mulled over what rating to give this book and decided 2.5 star (3 star is the nearest option 'Its OK') as I had very mixed feelings about it.

Plus points are that its readable, easy to digest, great use of stories, metaphors and examples to make the points. I found points that made me think and reflect, so of use.

Minus points are that there is no concrete 'how to'. It's like a thesis with conclusions but no action points - instead you will need to attend one of his courses to learn how to do Innate Thinking (registered trade mark) I presume.

Also minus is that I felt slightly manipulated by this book. I get the impression that the question came into Jamies head - how can I write an international best seller - no 1 on Amazons best seller list? What has to happen?

So offer free downloads/conference places to my mailing list if they buy the book from Amazon on a certain day. So many did that it became a no 1 best seller. I'm still waiting for the promised downloads, even though I have emailed the company more than 4 times. Never mind I've served my purpose in helping Jamie achieve his objective.

Then, in the book, after each chapter offer free extra learning and support via a web site.

This takes the form of going to each chapter for the information. For each chapter you have to either submit a 'Like' or comment to access the support/extra material. Definitely no thing as a free lunch with Jamie!

Ironically, whilst purporting to offer clarity, Jamie uses language to muddy the waters where it suits him. 'Better Performance' 'Bigger Results' Better than what? Bigger than what? said my meta model response. This lost him credibility with me, suggesting the approach was 'No matter it's not clear, it will get me sales,' which wouldn't matter too much except the book purports to be about clarity.

The Art of Connecting: How to Overcome Differences, Build Rapport, and Communicate Effectively with Anyone
by Claire Raines

5.0 out of 5 stars Readable, applicable, practical, 19 Feb. 2013
The subtitle of this book summarises what it's about:- "How to overcome differences, build rapport and communicate effectively with anyone"

In the first chapter we are introduced to four people who are Masters of Connection. We learn what makes them so. What they have is distilled into a model - the Core Principles of Connection.

The Core Principles are:-
* There's always a bridge
* Curiosity is key
* What you assume is what you get
* Each individual is a culture
* No strings attached

The authors explore each principle in detail.

The following chapters explore how anyone can use these principles to connect.

In relation to our own behaviour in any situation where we want to build a connection, we need to clarify our intention, notice our own reaction, search for similarity, use cues, and experiment and adjust. An example demonstrates how no matter how different we are to our audience it is possible to make a connection using the core principles.

We are given a technique to help us connect with others - looking at the situations from three perspectives - `the passport to flexibility'.

A chapter is dedicated to working with differences in groups, very useful reading for managers, team leaders, trainers and facilitators.

To help us get practising the authors give three scenarios to consider - `challenging real-life work situations that deal with differences'.

There are seven learning activities "if you are a leader in search of team building or workshop activities that help people to close the diversity gap, this chapter is for you".

Finally the reader has the opportunity to self assess current connecting effectiveness.

Who is the book useful for?
Anyone who is interested in enhancing their influencing and rapport building skills

Positives
* Easy to read, clear language, jargon free
* Practical
* Lots of real life examples
* A versatile, easy to use model
* Fully detailed learning activities

KAVAJ leather case "Berlin" for the Apple iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2 (Retina Display) and iPad mini cognac brown - genuine leather with stand-up feature. Thin Smart Cover as premium accessory for the original Apple iPad
Offered by KAVAJ

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 25 Dec. 2012
I bought this for a planned ipad white mini purchase thinking it would go nicely with white. I actually got a black Ipad mini. No matter, this Kavaj case does the job perfectly. It looks fabulous - very smart, feels fabulous - soft leather, lovely texture and both protects the Ipad plus has a handy stand mechanism. I got it for £25 as the Kavaj web site has a promotional code and I think it was great value for money. I highly recommend this product

Voice of Influence: How To Get People To Love To Listen To You
Voice of Influence: How To Get People To Love To Listen To You
by Judy Apps

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 21 Oct. 2012
If you are looking at ways to use your voice more effectively I recommend this book. Its thorough, practical and accessible. From this book you will discover how to use your voice to get the outcomes you want. Im a trainer and presenter plus focus on communicating with credibility, and I know that the voice is a tool that can be used to support this. Indeed, if the voice is not congruent with non verbal communication and words, the credibility is undermined so it is something to be aware of and spend some time on.

Eliza Tinsley High Back Leather Faced Executive Armchair 2007ATG/LBW
Eliza Tinsley High Back Leather Faced Executive Armchair 2007ATG/LBW

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfy good looking chair, 21 Oct. 2012
For the price its comfy (though my experience with similar products is that the seat cushion wears out so this remains to be seen). It looks good as well

USB Cup Warmer and Mug Warmer with 4 USB Ports
USB Cup Warmer and Mug Warmer with 4 USB Ports
Offered by Universal Color

2.0 out of 5 stars Didnt last long, 21 Oct. 2012
I was given a similar product five years ago so when looking for another hub went for this. However the one I bought only lasted about a month and then it didnt work as a hub - its main purpose - so I returned it and got a refund. Not sure if I was unlucky or the quality is not what it should be

Just Dance 3 (Wii)
Just Dance 3 (Wii)
Offered by Ent-Plus+

5.0 out of 5 stars Some improvements on previous just dances, 21 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Just Dance 3 (Wii) (Video Game)
Having bought JD 1 and 2 and read reviews I knew what to expect
I liked having more dances and the programme was a welcome change. I use this for enegising and having exercise rather than as a serious way of planning my keeping fit. Its fun, addictive (once Ive made the effort to start I stay on it longer than planned) and easy to use - so fits my purpose

Spear & Jackson Razorsharp Geared Hedge Shears
Spear & Jackson Razorsharp Geared Hedge Shears

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shears for the money, 1 Aug. 2012
A disclaimer -the shears replaced ones that are years old so anything was likely to be an improvement.

I found these shears to be light to use (as a female with not so strong arm muscles) and sharp enought to cut through some quite thick stems

Im very happy with them and consider them good value for money

Page: 1 | 2 | 3