Profile for trieste > Reviews

Pintoy Wooden Drum
Pintoy Wooden Drum
Offered by Crocodile Stores Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars it is well built, but only has 2 tones..., 17 April 2014
This review is from: Pintoy Wooden Drum (Toy)
I got this as I was inspired by a friend's child's "Plan Toys: Solid Drum" - At the time the Plan toys drum cost about 6 pounds more, so I went for this cheaper option. It is solid and well made, but I made admit I was a bit disappointed as the drum only has two tones; basically the two areas on the upper side of the "W" cut sound almost identical (but not quite, it actually grates a bit). Now I kind of wish I purchased the plan toys one which is tri-tonal, and sounds much nicer (and is now almost the same price). I suppose you get what you pay for at the end of the day. Nevertheless it is a well made nice looking product and my daughter certainly enjoys it! (I suppose I should buy myself a proper drum kit if I want to play! )

Tidlo Wooden Magnetic Wobbly Stacker
Tidlo Wooden Magnetic Wobbly Stacker

4.0 out of 5 stars good quality, 21 Aug. 2013
well made and fun - touch expensive but you get what you pay for... I would buy a similar product again in the future.

Lonely Planet Norway (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Norway (Travel Guide)

2.0 out of 5 stars sparse information, 21 Aug. 2013
I am a long term LP user, but this was was my first KINDLE version purchase... I was deeply unimpressed, both with the guide and with the kindle formatting. The guide itself was sparse to the point of rendering itself practically useless. It only gives cursory information about the main tourist spots, nothing at all "off the standard tour", and poor information on practicalities. As an example, Selja island and its beautiful ruins is mentioned in one sentence, the next sentence talks about a different village 30km away at the end of the peninsula and the following sentence mentions Senja town on the mainland. No information about the irregular boats (1 a day) to the island, or the fact that they only run weekdays til mid-August or that the cost is 30 euro a person - all information required to make the decision as to whether and when to make a long day trip out to the location. That was just one example. In addition, while some town maps are broken up into separate parts to make them visible in the KINDLE format, none of the regional maps are, which makes finding the location of location of e.g. park head offices on a separately purchased road map very difficult... Altogether a major disappointment - I will not purchase another kindle format guide, and probably will avoid LP, at least for European trips...

Sony VAIO X13 11.1 inch Laptop (Intel Atom Z540 1.86GHz, 2GB, 128Gb SSD, WLAN, WWAN, BT, Webcam, Win 7 Professional)

1.0 out of 5 stars worst laptop I have ever owned, 23 Dec. 2010
I am a heavy laptop user for work, and have owned 2 IBMs and this is my second Vaio, I also have a Toshiba netbook for home. I had owned this Sony for 6 months, I purchased it attracted by the light weight and slim design - don't let it fool you though, it is quite simply the worst, most poorly built, most unusable laptop I have ever owned.

Where do I start?

1. Keyboard... I don't mind small keyboards, I can usually adjust quite quickly. But take a look at the keyboard photograph on the amazon page closely and look at the large long symbol shift key on the lower right. Don't find it? That's because it's NOT THERE! Instead Sony have shrunk the shift key to a minute button... next to the cursor UP ARROW. I promise you, this will drive you crazy especially if you work on two or three machines as I do, and especially if you use linux as I do. Every time you need a capital letter, you hit the up arrow by mistake (it's exactly where the shift normally is) and suddenly you're editing your previous linux command, or the line above in your Word doc. (Basically, I have the feeling that Sony never actually try to use their own products, the last sony I had placed both the USB ports right at the front left corner of the keyboard where you rest your hands, meaning that you could have a mouse or anything plugged in and comfortably type at the same time.)

2. Flimsy... beyond belief. Want to know how long one of the screen hinges lasted before cracking and breaking? 4 weeks... I thought my previous Vaio was bad as the screen only lasted 2.5 years, and the keyboard was starting to go at that point, but at least it made it out of the guarantee period. Not that it matters, since Sony in this case anyway told me that any faults with the laptop structure are not covered. So I have a laptop with the screen hanging by one hinge...

3. Slow... Forget about watching any video full screen. I can even watch films on my 280 euro Toshiba netbook, but the Sony has to have a mini window in the corner unless you want 3 frames per second... you would expect better from a £1300 machine...

4. Battery poor... My toshiba network makes 9 hours on a charge, the shop told me the sony netbook lasts 7 hours, I find I'm lucky to get 3.5...

In summary, not a machine I would buy again or even keep.

By the way, I think there should be a box in Amazon reviews where reviewers have to state how long they have owned and used the object they are reviewing. I get the feeling that a lot of reviewers (like the 5 star one above mine) enter their review immediately after getting the object out of the box. The keyboard issue alone would be noticed in 5 minutes by anyone actually using this laptop (unless they use it for games, which I doubt, as the graphics card can only handle minesweeper).
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2011 10:29 AM BST

Russell Hobbs 18036 Breadmaker with Fast-Bake Function - White
Russell Hobbs 18036 Breadmaker with Fast-Bake Function - White

2.0 out of 5 stars poor crust and reliability, 10 Dec. 2010
I have owned this bread machine for just over two years.

I would say the plus points are
1. Simple to use
2. Nice range of programs
3. Does jam (although I haven't used this program)
4. Not expensive

The negative points are
1. Even on the dark setting, the crust is very pale
2. The reliability is poor, after two years the rotor arm dropped out the bucket, which now needs to be replaced at a cost of £20
3. It does not seem possible to turn off the "add soft ingredients now" beep alarm, which means if you put it on overnight to have fresh bread in the morning, it wakes you up at 5am!!!

Considering these negative points, especially the short life span of the bread bucket, I would take a look at alternative products and certainly would not take another machine from this manufacturer in future.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2015 7:02 PM GMT