Profile for lianne coates > Reviews

Content by lianne coates

lianne coates (Bangor, Down United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
15 x Ultra Early - 10mIU Wide Width Pregnancy Test Strips (tests up to 6 days earlier)
Offered by Home Health (UK) Ltd
Price: 5.60

1.0 out of 5 stars very poor, 13 Mar 2014
I had used 5 as my period was four days over. on the 4 day it showed a positive after trying for 1 1/2 years I was over the moon. went to gp only to be told their test was negative and it was a false positive (which hardly ever happens). but it does with these tests which makes this period extra upsetting. would not recommend as hers your hopes up for no reason

Breaking TWIG
Breaking TWIG
Price: 1.87

2.0 out of 5 stars wouldn't jump to read this author again, 13 Feb 2014
This review is from: Breaking TWIG (Kindle Edition)
It was a depressing book where no one stepped on to help an obviously abided child. and it wasn't an overly optimistic story. left me feeling flat

Yard Sale
Yard Sale
Price: 1.94

4.0 out of 5 stars lovely story well told. made me read another of her books, 20 Jan 2014
This review is from: Yard Sale (Kindle Edition)
good book spanning the generations. nothing bad to say about this. I was frustrated in places that the character of Grace wouldn't open her eyes to her reality but that is life and that is how many 1950s housewives responded to their marriage

A Redbird Christmas
A Redbird Christmas
by Fannie Flagg
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars feel good happy, 20 Jan 2014
This review is from: A Redbird Christmas (Paperback)
another feel good book by Fannie. maybe not the depth of some of her other books but I really did enjoy it.

Return to Ternberry
Return to Ternberry
Price: 1.95

3.0 out of 5 stars only good if you have read yard sale, 16 Dec 2013
it was nice to catch up with old characters. but as a stand alone novel wouldn't recommend it. wish Carly had of been focused on more

Nora, Nora: A Novel
Nora, Nora: A Novel
Price: 6.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes me know why I love deep south female authors, 6 July 2013
I am not always the biggest fan of Siddons but she created a lovely setting for a young lonely girl to figure out who she is and how she feels about the people she loves. I really liked the way Siddons protrayed a distant father who actually comes to life as a kind single father trying to do his best for his daughter even though he is being told constantly that he is doing it wrong. I thought this was this was a small side part in the story but actually most touching part of the story.

Yellow Crocus: A Novel
Yellow Crocus: A Novel
Price: 2.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Through sadness and adversity there was love and optimism, 6 July 2013
I liked how the book explained the social context to the reader and explained how life could be different if people stood up to conformity and made it different. The main protagonist did not accept the current status quo and challenged despite her position as a female in a patriarchal world.

The Peach Keeper
The Peach Keeper
Price: 4.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Magical and heartwarming, 6 July 2013
This review is from: The Peach Keeper (Kindle Edition)
When I started reading this book I kept thinking Magic?? I want a good story that could actually happen. However as I read on i realsied that the friendships in the book can actually happen and little bit of magic in everyday life just adds to it. It made me look for more of Allen's books and I read The Sugar Queen after and was glad when the magic re-appeared.

The Sugar Queen
The Sugar Queen
Price: 4.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet in every way, 6 July 2013
This review is from: The Sugar Queen (Kindle Edition)
What a comforting read of friendship and love and difficult times in different relatioships. And as always with Allen a little magic for good luck. Allen makes even her strong charcters have lovable weaknesses that have to be overcome. Its set in the autumn waiting for winter and I loved reading it while the rain hit the window and I had a cup of tea in my hand. Made we long for winter and and library in my house.

The Kitchen House
The Kitchen House
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I meatier book than Yellow Crocus but very good, 6 July 2013
This review is from: The Kitchen House (Kindle Edition)
This book has similar themes to Yellow Crocus. Themes included the children born of the 'masters' of the plantations, the hopeless position of slaves, the uneasiness in the people when there is no clear position for them, white children rasied by slaves who they loved so much but were then told as adults to treat as slaves, and the damage that disinterested parents did. It was a frustrating read at times as you are willing the slaves at times to speak out as it will change everyone's lives for the better but knowing that they were not in a position to do so. It painted a picture with words and brought you into that time and place. Emotionally difficult but worthwhile read.

Page: 1 | 2