Profile for Adam Lake > Reviews

Content by Adam Lake

Adam Lake (London)

Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4)
Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4)

2.0 out of 5 stars Sickly, 22 Jan 2014
The whole thing feels terribly forced, it's like the author sat down with a guide book for Florence, Venice and Istanbul and decided to cram in every tourist attraction for the sake of it. Not an awful book but certainly begun to feel like a chore.

Power Trip: A Decade of Policy, Plots and Spin
Power Trip: A Decade of Policy, Plots and Spin

4.0 out of 5 stars Actually very good., 16 Oct 2013
The first few pages convinced me that I was going to find both the author and the book annoying but actually I have to say I really enjoyed it. Dare I say it I actually found it all quite touching. McBride clearly has some issues but I think that all in all this is a great book written by someone who has seen a lot. Great stuff.

5 Days in May: The Coalition and Beyond
5 Days in May: The Coalition and Beyond

2.0 out of 5 stars Light on detail. Unusually partisan., 13 Aug 2013
This book lost me when in the opening cast list it describes David Cameron as the 'fourth successive Tory leader to not win a majority'. Fact I know but it gives a clue to the unnecessary partisanship that is seen throughout this book. I can cope with reading a book that follows an ideology that I disagree with but this book doesn't attempt to delve into anything of substance and tend to rely of the superficial sort of 'he said she said' politics that just bores ordinary people. It read lead a twitter stream and not a book and for something that was published 3 years after the event you would hope for a bit more insight and humility.

This book sadly offers nothing new and what is repeated is done so in quite a mundane and boring way.

Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell Trilogy Book 1)
Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell Trilogy Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, I hated it, 13 Aug 2013
I feel like such a philistine writing this as so many have enjoyed this book but I have to say that it just didn't work for me. The main issue is that the style that it is written makes it incredibly difficult to follow what is happening and who the action is following. This meant that I found it very difficult to emotionally attach myself to the characters and to be honest I often found myself meandering through the text and then giving up and getting a cup of tea.

Maybe it's just me but sadly I do not rate this book. Sorry

John Major: The Autobiography
John Major: The Autobiography

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 13 Aug 2013
I found this a really interesting read from a historic perspective. Reads well, slightly long winded at times but certainly worth going to.

Live From Downing Street
Live From Downing Street

4.0 out of 5 stars Really interesting, 8 Jan 2013
Great gossip and a decent brief history of parliament. Enjoyable. Some great little stories hiding in there too, I work in parliament and found this pretty revealing,

MI6: Life and Death in the British Secret Service
MI6: Life and Death in the British Secret Service

4.0 out of 5 stars Best book on the secret service since Spycatcher, 8 Jan 2013
This is a really decent book full of a mixture of anecdotes and gossip from the secret service for the last 100 years. He does meander sometimes which can make you lose chain of though but in the main this is a really good book. What marks it from others is that it lifts the lid on recent operations and is certainly a lot more candid than similar books. Very happy.

Losing My Virginity
Losing My Virginity

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read but too worthy at the end..., 31 Aug 2012
I'm a bit of a junky when it comes to biographies, especially ones concerning business or politics. This book did not disappoint. For a Virgin virgin this book is a really interesting insight into the creation of the Branson Empire.

My only negative is that the last quarter really bored me. The business bit is so much more intersting than hearing about how he's trying to save the world, cure disease and stop global warming. Less candid and more dreamy.

All in all though very happy to recommend what has been a really good read on the whole.