Profile for Mrs. D. Kelly > Reviews

Content by Mrs. D. Kelly

Mrs. D. Kelly (Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom)

BRAND NEW FOR DELL INSPIRON 15 15R N5010 M5010 433XP 0FHYN5 NOTEBOOK LAPTOP ENGLISH KEYBOARD UK LAYOUT BLACK COLOUR
Offered by MyArmor

5.0 out of 5 stars On the tin, 16 Feb. 2014
Bang on. No problems, arrived as described, packaged well. The product was . . . as the cliche has it . . . Does what it says on the tin. Recommended.

The Data Warehouse Toolkit: The Definitive Guide to Dimensional Modeling
The Data Warehouse Toolkit: The Definitive Guide to Dimensional Modeling
by Ralph Kimball

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit dated, 16 Feb. 2014
Back in the day, this was one of my most-referenced references.

If you work exclusively in relational data warehouses, such as Oracle RDBMS, then it's indispensable. It is still brilliant, and if you want to be a serious BI practitioner, you need to /know/ this text back to front. You need to know it *today*.

But times have moved on. I haven't built a presentation layer for seven years that was based on a /relational/ data warehouse. I still build 'em; it's just that they're only feeders for multidimensional hypercubes.

Back in 2002 I used Analysis Services to build a hypercube with 100 million sales and stock facts for a big retailer. It had a couple of seconds response time. Three years later we were writing sophisticated predictive analytics with multidimensional extensions (MDX).

There's no mention of this in the book. Solid on ETL, great on some industry-standard structures (but see stuff by Len Silverston et al), there's no question any aspiring BI person needs to know everything in here. But it's not enough.

I want to see this book updated to describe how to create a physical non-indexed DW as a feeder for a hypercube. I want to see the power and speed advantages of hypercubes described. I want to hear about the dramatic improvements in the presentation layer possible through the use of MDX. I want to hear about the security and /organisational/ issues involved in allowing reporting developers access to the presentation layer.

In short, as a new edition, this seems to fall a bit short. Still recommended, but . . .

With Friends Like These
With Friends Like These
by Alan Dean Foster
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Golden age, 30 Dec. 2012
This is golden age SF in the spirit of Campbell or early Heinlein. Stuff like Why Johnny Can't Speed is just brilliant, Wolfstroker is a dark fantasy twist, and the title story is an utter gem.

I'd also recommend what I consider to be the companion story to "With Friends Like These", which has to be Tom Godwin's Mother of Invention, assuming you're sorta sentimental about your celestial bodies. It's in the Cold Equations collection on Baen.

Dell U3011 Ultrasharp 30 inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor with Premier Color
Dell U3011 Ultrasharp 30 inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor with Premier Color

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 8 Sept. 2011
I'm (amongst other things) a consultant programme manager/director, and I'm often responsible for creating business intelligence teams and greenfield BI organizations. That means I'm the woman responsible for design/speccing the enterprise architecture, which includes the infrastructure, which includes the desktops. I'm also a software developer in my own right.

Business intelligence means very large data models. These are both graphical and text, and typically contain huge amounts of detail. In the past, I've always made a point of dual screens, and the biggest ones I could get my hands on. A decade ago,that meant twin 21 inch CRTs. Today, that means 30 inch 2560*1600.

Four years ago, I bought Dell WFP3007s for all my staff. Their productivity was just excellent, way above the norm. After that, there was another client, same strategy, same results. And so on. Mucho screen = considerably higher productivity.

A couple of months ago, I bought a U3011 just for me! It sits alongside a little 24 inch 1920 * 1200 (NOT 1080p), and the combination is the display on my personal workstation. Goodness, this works a treat. I tend to use the little screen for admin, with Outlook and Firefox open all the time, and the Dell for actual real work. Sometime, I have a manual open on the little screen, rather than an overlapping window on the Dell. The Dell will also tilt into portrait mode and gee, there's *all* my code :-)

If you're a hacker and cut code for a living, you /really/ need one of these. If you're a manager and you want to get more out of your staff, buy them a bunch of these. Your people will love you and your boss will think you're a genius for getting a ton more work from your guys. Much cheaper than giving them a raise, too ;-)

FYI, I drive my U3011 with a vanilla personal computer (quad core/8GB/GeForce 8600 GT) and that works just fine. It's really snappy with no discernable delays. I haven't seen any dead pixels or bad colors or stuff like that. Regarding Dell the company, I dunno . . . I think their ordering systems are dreadful, but the couple of times I've called on after-sales service, it's been absolutely fine. I think they make good kit, and I will for sure buy from them again.

BTW, I recommend the Wacom Intuos4 Large pen/tablet combination as a graphics input device. I have no artistic talent whatsoever, but the combo of the U3011 and the Intuos4 works even for me!

The Lotus Eaters (Desert Called Peace)
The Lotus Eaters (Desert Called Peace)
by Tom Kratman

5.0 out of 5 stars Civic Virtue, 5 July 2010
Others (especially on Amazon.com) have recapped this story and the previous two in some detail, so there's no need for me to do that here.

Rather, I'd like to review the implications of History and Moral Philosophy. This is the course that young Juan Rico and everyone else is required to take in high school. One of its central theses is that political power may only may legitmately be entrusted to those who have demonstrated their willingness to support and defend the body politic - with their lives, if necessary. Only in such a way can individuals have shown true committment to the shared values and culture that make up a nation, and thus moral virtue. The history part comes in via the fact that such societies survive . . . and ones where the citizens don't care enough to defend them . . . don't.

Classically, there's Greece and Rome. Today, there's the European Union and the USA. Kratman fictionally interposes a third, Balboa. Through the three books (so far) he's evolved Balboan society from a corrupt third-world oligarchic dictatorship, to become much closer to the H&MP ideal. There's a huge range of 'shared universe' possibilities right there.

The really interesting question, to me, is this: given that this series is actually socio-political commentary on the the current state of the world, is it possible to see a real-life Balboa?

That question is quite important. Kratman's Caliphate and Mark Steyn's book America Alone, have both 'predicted' a Eurabia based on a combination of demographics and moral collapse in Europe. I don't like either future history, but I wouldn't put money on any other outcome. The only bulwark against a new Dark Ages then, is the moral philosophy of America (and possibly England, although again, I wouldn't put money on it).

As far as the story arc is concerned, I think this opens up many possibilities. Will the Anglians rebel against the Tauran Union? There were hints of that already. What of the internal divisions in the Federated States of Columbia? Can we see Santander joining Balboa? It seems to me that there's a host of stories here, possibly along 'shared universe' lines.

Finally, I'd like to see a non-fiction book: Kratman's History and Moral Philosophy. Jeepers, that would sure put the trixie amongst the moonbats!

Donna Kelly
(for the record, Canadian-English with a healthy sprinkling of American)

Data Analyzer 2002 Win32 English Intl CD
Data Analyzer 2002 Win32 English Intl CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Remember VB 1.0?, 8 Jun. 2003
I remember VB 1.0 I was project leader 12 years ago on a job that needed a GUI visualisation front-end (the core was a telephony application to be written in C). I could have had the front-end custom written in Motif with Unix workstations, but that would have been prohibitively expensive.
VB had been on the market for just one week, and I knew it was ragged and not mature. But it did the job. And it was dirt cheap.
And so with Data Analyzer. Sure, it's ragged and immature (no cross-tabs in the grid, for example). But at less than 200 bucks a pop, it's BI for the masses. Will it do the job? Maybe 70% of it. Compared to zero for most business users currently, that's a quantum leap. And all this thin/thick client business? Since when did a business user care about the techie stuff? Am I going to see about installing en masse into my clent base? Absolutely!
Are tools like Business Objects etc competitors? I put BO into my last two clients. It's fabulously powerful. But it's also several thou per seat! The one to worry about is Crystal Analysis. In my view, this is direct competition. Especially when I can put DA onto a hundred desktops for about 6K with volume discounts.
I expect to see DA bundled eventually. Probably not into Office, more likely into the SQL Server bundle. This one is a stayer. If I were an ISV Partner, I'd be losing sleep.