Profile for Mr. MO MCCARTHY > Reviews

Content by Mr. MO MCCARTHY

Mr. MO MCCARTHY "Mike" (Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Strictly Ballroom Dancing
Strictly Ballroom Dancing

5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Dancers Disc, 25 Jan. 2014
I have purchased at least ten ballroom dancing discs but if I had known about this disc I wouldn't have had to buy any of the others.
It is truly the ideal dance disc covering both ballroom and latin dancing. The 26 tracks are strictly instrumental (no singing) performed by the Columbia Ballroom Orchestra including music for the Waltz, Foxtrot, Tango, Quickstep, Viennese Waltz, Cha Cha Cha, Samba, Rumba, Jive and Paso Doble.
The rythum played for each track is exactly in accordance with that stated in the standard texts.
Well worth the what it costs.

Latin Boss - The Centenary Collection
Latin Boss - The Centenary Collection
Offered by mrtopseller

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of material, 15 Nov. 2013
These CD's bear the mark of having been put together by someone with a distinct lack of knowledge of Latin American dancing. Most of the tracks are simply named without reference to the dance they are suitable for ( rumba, samba, cha cha cha etc) Those that are labelled are more often than not wrongly labelled.

OK as wall paper music or for non dancers.

Ballroom Dancer [DVD]
Ballroom Dancer [DVD]
Dvd ~ Slavik Kryklyvyy
Offered by Dogwoof Ltd.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 15 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Ballroom Dancer [DVD] (DVD)
I saw their last rumba on UTube (you know the one). In the event the material doesn't contain much dancing and doesn't reflect the undoubted genius of these two dancers.
It was a drab ponderous account of a relationship breaking down with the partnership breaking down irrecoverably and the two principal characters going their separate ways.

Mad Men and Philosophy: Nothing is as it Seems (The Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series)
by William Irwin

3.0 out of 5 stars Characters analysed, 15 Nov. 2013
The book was well thumbed ( more than I had expected)

It comprises a collection of essays written by American academics most of which seem to me to lack insight and are written as vehicles for the various writer's hobby horses. Quite readable but they don't add much, if anything, to the enjoyment or understanding of the story.

Mostly written by average kind of guys who have little or no experience relevant to the subject.

Mad Men - Season 6 [DVD]
Mad Men - Season 6 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jon Hamm

5.0 out of 5 stars season 6, 15 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Mad Men - Season 6 [DVD] (DVD)
Best TV series ever, totally absorbing. Very believable, beautiful sets, The story captures the tone and texture of the era with edge of the seat realism. Powerful dialogue.

How to Play Croquet: A Step-by-step Guide (Jarrold Sports)
How to Play Croquet: A Step-by-step Guide (Jarrold Sports)
by Nigel Aspinall

3.0 out of 5 stars Rules of the game, 24 Oct. 2013
I have a big(ish) garden lawn which doesn't get much practical use now that my children have grown up and moved away. I had an idea that it would be a good idea to invite friends on a sunny afternoon to play croquet, drink gin and tonic, eat sticky buns and gossip.

This was an ideal book to learn the rules of the game since I have never played before.

All About Compost: Recycling Household and Garden Waste (Organic Handbook)
All About Compost: Recycling Household and Garden Waste (Organic Handbook)
by Pauline M. Pears

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative "How to" book, 24 Oct. 2013
We all think we know about compost and to an extent that is true. I bought this book because I have just started composting in a plastic garden compost container. I learned enough in a short time to ensure that I was starting on the right track.

The Temptress: The scandalous life of  Alice, Countess de Janzť
The Temptress: The scandalous life of Alice, Countess de Janzť
by Paul Spicer

5.0 out of 5 stars Facinating atmospheric story, 24 Oct. 2013
This was a beautifully presented hardback book in near perfect condition. The story held me in thrall throughout. The personas of the several larger than life characters seemed to come to life in its pages. The narrative and descriptive writing had a beautiful simplicity.

On the negative side, some of the pictures were not very interesting and they were short on detail. Also I would have liked to have more information as to the lives and the condition of the native Kikuyu.

The Illustrated Poems of John Betjeman
The Illustrated Poems of John Betjeman
by David Gentleman

3.0 out of 5 stars Worladay sort of used book, 24 Oct. 2013
I expected this book to be printed on higher quality paper with better illustrations. I think I could have bought something better and more lovely.

Oriental Rugs: A Buyer's Guide
Oriental Rugs: A Buyer's Guide
by Lee Allane

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Title, 24 Oct. 2013
I bought Tribal Rugs together with Oriental Rugs: A Buyer's Guide. I was disappointed to find that they are both the same book with different titles.
The book is a work of scholarship suitable for academic study. As such it did not fulfil my needs since what I needed was a suitable reference work to enable me to distinguish between types and quality of carpet to enable be to make a more informed decision in buying a replacement carpet for my conservatory.ally needed something shorter and with more commercial type information that was more accessible.
I really need something shorter with more commercial type information that was more accessible.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5