Profile for Rob > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Nikola Tesla: Imagination and the Man That Invented the 20th Century
Nikola Tesla: Imagination and the Man That Invented the 20th Century

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 6 Jun 2013
It is said there is no such thing as a free lunch. Well, Sean Patrick has proved that particular adage wrong by offering 'Nikola Tesla: Imagination and the Man that Invented the 20th Century' as a free download. It is only 42 pages long, but it's one of the most interesting pieces of writing I've read in a long time.

The author describes the concept of 'Genius' in such a vivid and concise manner that I just sat nodding my head in complete agreement as each detail was revealed. It's no exaggeration to say that this piece has made me examine certain aspects of my own life. I'm no genius, far from it, but after reading this I now think about things in a different way. There's a fine line between doing something the right way and doing something the wrong way - understanding the subtle differences is the key to success.

The crux of this book is the brief, but highly detailed biography of Nikola Tesla, the mysterious and largely forgotten scientist/inventor. It's beautifully written and drew me effortlessly into the fascinating world of one of the few men in history who could truly be regarded as a 'Genius'.

I'm guessing this book is probably a tease for Sean Patrick's Awakening Your Inner Genius, and if it is, it worked for me. I immediately purchased and downloaded it for the princely sum of 77p. (You're underselling yourself, Sean.)

Nikola Tesla. Great story; great writing. Grab your free lunch while you still can. You won't regret it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2013 5:37 AM BST

Bellewear Large Silk Women's Scarf Maroon Multi One Size
Bellewear Large Silk Women's Scarf Maroon Multi One Size
Offered by Spring & Leader

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 16 Mar 2013
I bought this for my wife's birthday because, well, it looked good. As my knowledge of fashion, scarves in particular, could be written on the head of a pin, I only have my wife's reaction to go by.

She loved it.

Apparently, it had a mysterious wispy quality to it and this particular silk weave was "excellent". It was also a good length and held its shape well. At this point, I just nodded and smiled as she went into the ins and outs of scarf wearing. Look, if she'd wanted to discuss Windows 8 or Intel i-7, I'm right there, but she didn't; she just went on and on about this scarf until my eyes glazed over.

To the ladies; I think this is probably a good buy. To the guys: you can't go wrong with this scarf (any colour) buy it for your partner and, believe me, you won't regret it. I will say no more!

An Indian Housewife's Recipe Book (Right Way S.)
An Indian Housewife's Recipe Book (Right Way S.)
by Laxmi Khurana

5.0 out of 5 stars A little gem..., 5 Nov 2012
I'm probably the worst cook in the world, but God knows, I try. Every time I go into the kitchen and put on my stripy apron (wife bought it for me - her idea of humour, I think) the family disappear. I don't know where they go but they have it down to a fine art now. I've tried locking the doors, but they always manage to get out.

I've bought all the books; Jamie, Marco, and Gordon have all tried their best to help me. Books by these wonderful chefs, all with detailed instructions, on-trend recipes, and fantastic pictures, have been strewn across the kitchen among the pots and pans and general chaos - all to no avail. You know things are bad when the dog slinks off and hides somewhere when he sees me moving towards the kitchen.

I tried to cook an Indian curry once. Of course, nobody wanted to be in the same room as it, let alone eat it. When I tipped the unwanted sauce down the sink it burnt a hole in the plastic outlet pipes. The repair bill was horrendous, making it probably the most expensive curry ever cooked, anywhere, by anybody.

And then I found 'An Indian Housewife's Recipe Book' by Laxmi Khurana. There are no extravagant pictures, just a preparation and cooking time, a simple list containing required ingredients and a method of cooking. And there's more than a hundred recipes to chose from. It actually looks too good to be true.

It isn't.

I picked out one of the recipes, 'Fresh Chicken Curry' - page 96. There are thirteen ingredients and just six stages in the method list. And then I waited until everybody was out and cooked it. The hardest instruction was 'stir continuously for five minutes.' Even I could manage that.

It was ready in about an hour and a half. I let it sit for another hour and then put it into a large bowl and wrapped it in kitchen foil. When the clan arrived home I told them our neighbour, Mister Lokhani, had dropped off a chicken curry. (He does this occasionally. I think he took pity on me after he heard about the curry and the outlet pipe thing.) They all dived in and devoured the whole lot in about ten minutes. The comments were excellent and I just sat back and smiled inwardly. They were saying things like, '..if only you could cook like this, dad.' And '...this is how a curry should taste.' And '...hey dad, ask Mister Lokhani how he does it.'

Even the dog came out of hiding. He just stood by the kitchen door, staring at me. He knew. Had he been a few years younger, he probably would have taken me down. Good job he's a benign Labrador and not a Rottweiler.

Can't wait to present the family with Mister Lokhani's next effort - 'Dry Bhoona Lamb Chops' - (page 82).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2014 6:10 PM BST

HSINI Original 8 x Universal Capacitive Stylus Pen for ipad 1 & 2, iPhone 4, HTC, Tablet pc, Asus Tablets, Advent, Samsung Galaxy, Mobile Phones, PC, Blackberry Playbook & Phones, Android and all other Capacitive Screens Devices - Universal Stylus Touchscreen pen - Assorted Colours

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, but..., 4 Nov 2012
These Stylus pens are fantastic value for money, but there are a couple of points that should be noted if you are thinking of buying them.

Within days of purchasing the Kindle Fire I quickly realised that no matter how many times you clean a touch screen, grubby fingerprints smear all over it. After about an hour the screen looks like something a two-year-old has had their hands on for a couple of weeks. It didn't take me long to work out that I needed a stylus pen.

The first stylus pens I looked at were priced at £12.99 and £8.99. Now, I may be a novice at this tablet touch screen stuff but that looked somewhat overpriced to me. I mean for those sort of prices I'd want a Kevlar barrel trimmed with gold and platinum edges, not to mention a NASA approved rubber tip at the end of the barrel.

As I didn't see those particular specifications I went for a pen priced at £4.99. It was okay, but if examined closely, it really is just an empty biro barrel with a rubber tip on the end. It probably cost about 25p to make. So, with mark up and shipping, a price of £1.99 would have been more reasonable.

And then I spotted these 'Universal Stylus Touch Screen Pens' priced at £2.96 for EIGHT! For those who haven't bothered to work it out, that's about 35p each. (I know, I know!) So I placed the order and then compared them to my £4.99 pen - and there was very little difference. Same size, same barrel, and same clip on the end, but there was one significant difference, and it turned out to be crucial.

The tip at the end of these pens is softer than the one on the end of my more expensive version, which means the metal barrel on the cheaper one is closer to scratching your screen. If you want to use these 'Univeral Stylus Pens' for scrolling sedately around your tablet, they are excellent value for money and do the job perfectly. However, if you play Temple Run or Breakout or any game you find yourself jabbing the pen at the screen trying to jump over walls and chasms, a slightly more expensive pen with a more robust tip is definitely required.

I've given these pens fours stars because they are excellent value for money, but just be aware of their limitations. Remember you're jabbing these things into a piece of kit that could have cost you anything between £150 and £500. Scratch the surface of your tablet while you're engrossed in a game and I guarantee you'll wish you'd paid just that little bit extra.

Walking Dickens' London (Shire General)
Walking Dickens' London (Shire General)
by Lee Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wealth of Knowledge, 16 Oct 2012
I have used Lee Jackson's 'Dictionary of Victorian London' website for research purposes over a period of several years. What Lee doesn't know about Victorian London, isn't worth knowing. He's written and published several books, both fiction and non-fiction; 'Walking Dickens' London' is the latest.

It's only 136 pages long, but it contains more detailed information than you would find in a book three times the length. There are eight walks included, taking in most of central London, from Mayfair to Riverside. Every page contains several scenes of Victorian life as it once was and either a beautifully produced photograph (or two), a line drawing or a map outlining the route of a particular walk.

I have lived in London for thirty-five years and believed I knew the place inside out. Wrong. After using this book to investigate the hidden nooks and crannies of a great city, I now realise I have been walking around with my eyes closed. Somebody once said, 'We look, but we don't see.'

How true.

Most books are read then discarded. This particular book will be in my pocket every time I'm out and about, just in case I come across some Victorian location I hadn't noticed before, because I can almost guarantee that Lee Jackson will have been there before me - and written entertainingly about it!

Logitech M305 Wireless Mouse - Midnight Garden
Logitech M305 Wireless Mouse - Midnight Garden
Offered by Simpatico Network srl

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 16 Oct 2012
As another reviewer said, it is just a mouse but he really likes it. And that's fair comment. If you spend any length of time at a computer the mouse is the one thing you use the most. If it doesn't feel right it can be very frustrating. Thankfully, this Logitech M305 although very small, (half the size of the one I've replaced) feels very comfortable in my rather large hands.

For such a small, commonplace item the M305 is beautifully designed. The rubber sides stop it from slipping in your hand, which means you get the pointer exactly where you want it on screen. It only needs one battery and you can switch it off when not in use; it also seems to power down if you don't use it for a while. I've had this mouse two months, using it every day, and I haven't had to change the battery yet. That may seem like a small point but my last mouse used up two batteries every couple of weeks.

I also love the tiny nano receiver. Another well designed item. Stick a normal sized receiver in the side of your laptop and there's a good chance it will take a knock, damaging both the receiver and the USB port. That's not going to happen with this little thing; in fact, it almost disappears when you plug it in. And there was no messing about with software installations - just plug in and go.

I discovered something else about the wheel on the top of the mouse. (This probably happens with most mice/mouses, but I'm not very tech-minded, so I haven't noticed it before.) When you go into the navigator tree in some programs, all the directories are slightly to the left and you can't open them unless you scroll across. With the M305 just nudge the wheel to the left and everything is centered.

Finally, and having no bearing on anything, the Midnight garden pattern looks cool sitting next to the computer. A cool mouse - who'd have thought it?

Prestige Dakota Cordless Jug Kettle, 1.7 Litre - Black
Prestige Dakota Cordless Jug Kettle, 1.7 Litre - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Why are kettles such a problem?, 15 Oct 2012
Kettles are the bane of my life. I've had FIVE different ones in the last two years and this Prestige Dakota (sounds like an 900cc motorbike, doesn't it? If only!) is the SIXTH. After three or four months of normal usage, used just by myself and my partner, every kettle I've had developed some sort of fault. If it isn't the leaking, or the broken lid, or the faulty switch, then the beautiful, red and blue light display disappears. Manufacturers, how difficult is it to design a kettle that will see out its first year? I mean, come on, get a grip.

The last one, from Argos, lasted 3 months before the filter fell off the spout and wouldn't fit back on. Returned it to them and was told by the sales guy, 'Yeah, that happens a lot with this kettle.' What? Then why did you sell it to me? Why hasn't the manufacturer been informed? And why am I standing here arguing with you about a kettle when I should be at the match?

You know, I even thought about buying one of those cheap camping kettles - horrible white plastic things, but a bargain at only a fiver. See, when that goes wrong you just throw it away and get another one out of the cupboard. If you went through four in a year you'd still be in pocket. It ruins the lines of the kitchen, of course, but only one person in this relationship cares about that - and it isn't me!

So, what about this Prestige Dakota Cordless? Well, I've only had it three weeks, but the good news is - it's still working! It seems perfectly fine. A bit loud when boiling and, as somebody else pointed out, it's a bit fiddly trying to pour the water in even with the lid fully open. But, it's actually no better or worse than any other kettle of a similar price. One thing it does have, however, which I don't think has been mentioned elsewhere is that it's ambidextrous; it can be used by either a right or left-handed person. It has the cup markings and lights on either side, so if you do happen to be left-handed (like my partner) then it can be swiveled on its base to accommodate you. Pouring boiling water down the front of your jim-jams because you're cack-handed is not a good thing.

Look, it's a black kettle (mind you, even that's not true. The sides actually look as though they've been spray-painted by Damien Hirst) and it's doing the job for me at the moment. If I manage to get past the six month mark without a problem, I'll come back here and change the four stars to five.

If I don't update this in six months you know I've been out and bought one of those whistling tin kettles that my grandmother used in 1939. She never seemed to have any problems making huge pots of tea.

And what have we got in 2012 - modern technology, that's what. Don't you just love it...

Update: 27/08/13.

Thanks to Doll-face in the comments section for reminding me that I didn't update the above review. Well, ten months later and I haven't bought a 1939 Whistling tin kettle after all because, against all odds, the Prestige Dakota Cordless Jug Kettle is still going strong.

In truth, I am now in worse condition than the kettle.

Looking through into the kitchen I can see it sitting there in all its impervious Art Deco glory, mocking me. The iridescent blue lights still glowing strongly on either side of the handle as it boils the water, the spout filter still firmly attached and doing its job and the lid still in good working order, opening and closing (the way it bloody well should!) without coming away in my hand. The fact that I live in the London area and have to de-scale the thing every month does mean that the element remains in a fairly good condition; don't de-scale regularly and you could build a small wall with the grunge that gathers inside the kettle.

Okay, it's a bit noisy when boiling and slightly awkward pouring water into it because the lid doesn't open fully - it is, however, no better or worse than any other similar priced kettle in this respect. The fact that after nearly a year the lights, filter and element are all still doing what they are supposed to do means it is definitely worth buying. When this thing eventually rolls over and dies I will certainly buy from Prestige again - they do seem capable of making a kettle that remains in my kitchen slightly longer than the usual six months.

My God, that Zen meditation helps when you're dealing with bloody kitchen appliances!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2013 10:28 AM BST

I Love The Noise It Makes
I Love The Noise It Makes

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 Oct 2012
The last time I saw Declan Sinnott in concert was April 4, 2012, at the Royal Festival Hall, London. As ever, Dec provided wonderful support for Christy Moore, never missing a cue or playing a bum note in a two hour performance that adhered to a setlist that Christy made up as he went along. At the end of the concert, as he always does, Dec stepped to one side and allowed Christy to take the plaudits.

'I'm not having that,' said the wife, and she marched off down the aisle towards the stage armed only with a pen and the concert tickets, and offered them up to Dec. Of course, he signed the tickets, and 'The Boss' appeared to be having a chat with him. When she got back I asked her what they had talked about. 'Oh, this and that. Do you know what? He's a really nice guy.'

And that's the point. Dec has played on, and produced countless records for other musicians - he's supported Christy Moore for more than ten years - but he has never sought the limelight for himself. Well, with the release of his very first solo album 'I love the Noise it Makes', (a quote attributed to John Lennon, apparently) that has changed.

Dec produced this album and wrote, or co-wrote, all the songs on it and I really don't know how to categorise it. It's not Irish, it's not folk, and it's not country. I think there's a slight nod towards Robert Johnson, John Lee Hooker and maybe even Eric Clapton, and that's never a bad thing. Whatever the influence, it is the best selection of songs I've heard for a long time, all played and sung in Dec's own inimitable style. I've listened to it several times now and there isn't a single track that I don't like.

Some of the songs on this album made me smile, a couple of them had such poignant lyrics they took me to another place, and one actually reduced me to tears. At that last concert at the Festival Hall, Dec, as he always does, performed one solo song. It was called 'Sun Shine In' and his rendition entranced the whole room - it was a masterful performance. I then spent the next few weeks searching the internet trying to find that particular song, without success.

'Sun Shine In' just happens to be the first track on this album - and it was worth the wait.

If you like laid-back, intelligent music, listen to these twelve songs from a master craftsman. You won't be disappointed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2013 2:08 PM BST

Mesh Lumbar Back Support for Office Chair Car Seat etc
Mesh Lumbar Back Support for Office Chair Car Seat etc
Offered by UK Home & Garden Store Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Sep 2012
I have to admit I was very sceptical about this product. How can something costing a couple of quid be of any use? I spend up to eight hours a day in front of a computer and I suffer a lot of lower back pain - even after purchasing a relatively expensive 'Manager's Chair' I still suffered.

With not much to lose, I ordered this back support and put it on my chair, and, much to my amazement, it worked. Place it lower down or higher up the back of the chair, round about the area the muscles in your back start to bunch up, and you'll notice the difference right away. And, for the first time in ages, I actually felt comfortable.

This Lumbar Back Support isn't badly made, in fact, it's quite sturdy, but it isn't going to last for years, especially if you are in that chair every day. So, for the sake of a couple of quid, I've ordered another one, just to be on the safe side.

It works. Give it a go...

LINDY Rotating Notebook Stand Suitable for 15-17 Inch Notebooks
LINDY Rotating Notebook Stand Suitable for 15-17 Inch Notebooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Aug 2012
Recently, while typing a very long piece of work, I felt stiffness and pain in both wrist joints, which is probably the beginning of RSI, and I decided I had to do something about it. I use a Lenovo laptop with a 17.5" screen, which is a heavy and bulky piece of kit - not the sort of computer, you would think, ideally suited to sit on top of a rotating plastic stand. (I had a vision of this 600 quid laptop I've only had for a month slipping off the stand and vanishing down the back of my desk. Explain that to the missus!)

But I decided to take a chance on this product - and it turned out to be the best buy I've made this year. This Lindy stand is very well designed and manufactured, and no matter how big your laptop the two clips at the front of the base ensures it will not slip off; believe me, it's firmly held. You can also adjust the angle of the keyboard from flat to almost 40 degrees, which is a lot of leeway to find your perfect angle. The base rotates through 360 degrees so you can make sure you are looking directly at the screen; do you ever wonder why you get a crick in the neck after a long session in front of the screen?

More importantly, after using the keyboard at a comfortable angle for a week, the pain in my wrists has eased. Probably won't go away completely, but at least I can live with it now. If you are thinking about buying this stand, don't hesitate, it's a good buy. Spending eighteen quid on this item probably won't have much impact on your life, but a Repetitive Strain Injury most definitely will.

Page: 1 | 2