Profile for P. Phillips > Reviews

Content by P. Phillips

P. Phillips "Caveat Emptor" (Born: London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Police CYBERLITE men's quartz Watch with black Dial digital Display and black silicone Strap 13904JPBRD/02

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking, but was IS the time?, 29 Mar. 2015
This watch is distinctive because the black dial-face appears completely blank and unreadable in the majority of lighting conditions. Now I initially thought this issue would not affect the wearer too much, but I was wrong. Even in the daytime I'm having to press the watch "light" button to highlight the digits sufficiently. This is going to drain the battery way too soon. Other than that, everything else about this timepiece, the build quality and time-keeping I am happy with. And what's more, it really looks "Cool".

easyDigital - Red Sony Xperia Z2 Heavy Duty Strong Hard Protective Case Cover Dual Layer Protection Hybrid Case Cover with Built In Stand for Sony Xperia Z2 Screen Protector (Red)
Offered by EASYDIGITAL

4.0 out of 5 stars An "okay" good case, but I had to modify it too much., 29 Mar. 2015
Unlike a previous similar Z2 case I had bought on Amazon, this one had no wrist lanyard holes and the bulk of plastic around the earphone/mic socket made it impossible to fully insert my Sony STM10 stereo mic. I had to cut an ugly lump out for the mic to fit fully in. All these cases also have a large side slot exposing access for USB/charging and a SIM card. This is an ugly gap and makes left-hand holding of the Z2 feel odd as your thumb ends up pressed over the empty hole. It needs a rubber-flap to fill this space and I made one out of coloured 'Sugru' rubber. I also cut an access hole to the magnetic charger plate on the phone. It is so much easier using this connection method to charge the phone. I bought a USB charger lead that clamped onto this charge port and I'm surprised Sony never shipped this design of cable with their Z2 mobile.

eimo-Electronics 10-IN-1 STYLUS PENS PACK - iphone/ipad/tablet/SAMSUNG GALAXY BEAM i8520 - Green / White / Pink / Silver / Baby Blue / Black / Gold / Purple / Red / Blue - VALUE PACK-Original by eimo
Offered by eimo

4.0 out of 5 stars Great to have around the home, 23 Sept. 2014
I have a Samsung Note mobile and the S-Pen became irritatingly erratic conducting with the screen. I bought 2 boxes of these stylus pens and laid them around the house where I tend to use my phone. It also means they are to-hand when I'm using my Tablet, as well. Much cheaper than buying a replacement S-Pen and they are good quality and long lasting.

TP-LINK TD-W8960N 300 Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router for BT Connections
TP-LINK TD-W8960N 300 Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router for BT Connections

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy one for less than a pony. (slang), 23 Sept. 2014
A functionally good budget domestic router that also supports VoIP and works fine with my Sipgate service. The updated modern design has a much better air-flow and therefore improved cooling. It's predecessor ran too hot in my view, and therefore risked premature failure.

Kingston SDHC Memory Card 4 GB Class 4 Twin Pack
Kingston SDHC Memory Card 4 GB Class 4 Twin Pack
Offered by UkMobileAccessories

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap as Chips 4GB SDHC from Kingston, 23 Sept. 2014
These 4GB SD cards are a bit slow and low capacity but they are agreeably cheap. I use them (dozen+) to store a selection of Linux distros that I can boot from and test the OS support for various PC hardware. These Kingston cards have proved very reliable and genuine. No fakes at this end of the market.

World Peace Is None Of Your Business
World Peace Is None Of Your Business
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Stonking Morrissey Album, 23 Sept. 2014
Morrissey has pulled together some excellent musicians for the recording of this album. His voice is in fine form and has hints of vocal enjoyment I've not sensed before. Some tracks are great jive/dance numbers that are a perfect singer+band performance. The studio audio quality and mixing is, on the whole, faultless. These songs and lyrics are already amongst my favorite of his work.

Corsair CMXAF1 Dominator Airflow Fan Unit
Corsair CMXAF1 Dominator Airflow Fan Unit

3.0 out of 5 stars Is This Necessary?, 6 Oct. 2011
My Corsair Airflow fan system started to screech and sound dreadful in little over a year of operation but I found this could be rectified. This is a delicate procedure which I carried out on all 3 fans using a sharp blade (modeling knife) and tweezers.
Using the knife sharp edge, carefully lift and remove the plain black round label stuck under the fan motor, keeping it intact and sticky. This will reveal a small rubber plug that can be prised out with a sharp point or fine tweezers to expose the centre shaft of the fan. Now put 2 tiny drops of light oil into this hole to lubricate the fan-bearing. I used a wire to trickle the oil down into the bottom of this opening. Spin the fan with your finger to see if it rotates freely. It it doesn't then I would be loathed to add more oil due to the risk of an excess leakage. Better to just discard this unit rather than contaminate any electronics. Now replace the rubber plug to seal in the lubricant and wipe the surface area clean so that the black disc label can be firmly stuck back on. Voilà..! All should be peaceful from here on.
As other reviews have pointed out, the fitting of this cooler is risky, awkward and it's inclined to slide about. I also find the finger tightened bolts difficult to turn in the restricted space of my PC and extreme care is advised to avoid damage or electrical shortage to other components.
It is reassuring to have a draft blowing down on my over-clocked DRAM modules but I do wonder if this Corsair device is more trouble than it's worth. I shall confirm this if it starts to squeal again.

Logitech Squeezebox Controller
Logitech Squeezebox Controller

4.0 out of 5 stars Squeeze Tight, don't let the Bugs Bite., 27 Sept. 2010
I have had my Squeezebox controller for nearly 18 months now and it has been a typical Logitech product; reliable, of good build quality, but a bit pricey. Well now the cost seems to be getting more palatable and is certainly worth considering. If you are contemplating buying one of these then hopefully you are already familiar with the 'Squeezebox Server' software. You will require an up-to date installation of this server software in order to automatically pump the latest firmware into this device. I strongly recommend doing this to avoid the odd handset-reboot. I'm currently on firmware release 7.5.1-r9009 and it's rock-solid. The FOC Squeezebox server software is an impressive multi-platform facility for supporting streamed audio devices. However it's operational environment can be complex, especially if it's the users first-time steps into the wifi or 'Home' LAN world. Hence anger and frustration is often vented towards it in reviews and the associated device that is being installed.
This "Controller" is a wifi only device that has to be able to connect to your Router or "Access Point" to operate. Consider where it will be used:- Pressing the start button on my microwave oven will 'JAM' all wifi activity in my kitchen. Somewhat a little worrying for the chef!
The screen on my unit is difficult to view outdoors in modest daylight and is the main complaint I have with it. Better visible screen technologies might be deployed now by Logitech but I've seen no reports of this. On very large audio libraries the current menu selection process with this device can appear cumbersome but I'm sure will be enhanced on future firmware releases.
One thing that is not immediately apparent is that besides being a flashy remote wifi controller for your Logitech audio device it is also a personal wifi 'audio-player'. You can plug ear-phones into it and instruct the Squeezebox server software to pipe stereo music into your ears. For me it means I can relax outdoors on the patio hammock to enjoy my audiophile library, streamed music services or any Internet radio station that's out there. And the sound quality is very agreeable indeed.
I rate this product 4 out of 5 because it still remains at a somewhat premium price but the continued firmware enhancements have certainly been beneficial.

The Power And The Glory
The Power And The Glory
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars A Glorious & Powerful Remaster, 12 Jun. 2010
This review is from: The Power And The Glory (Audio CD)
CD Label : Alucard ALU-GG-011 (USA Import)
I have waited many years for this GG album to get the loving 'digital' restoration it deserves and now here it is! This release is superb and without fault. Re-Mastered by Fred Kevorkian at Avatar Studios, NYC from the original ľ inch tapes through 24bit 96k Hi-Resolution transfer; it is a wonderful resurrection of this fine 1970's album and captures surprisingly clear audio quality from the original recording. I find myself standing in front of the speakers, eyes closed and simply spellbound. What a remarkable team of musicians this band displayed.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2015 7:40 PM BST

As Day Follows Night (Digipak)
As Day Follows Night (Digipak)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Sarah Blasko, 7 Mar. 2010
If it hadn't been for her exposure on Internet radio (Dig Music,Oz), I may have never loved Sarah Blasko. Her pure gentle voice is exceptional. This talented artist has me captivated by her audible beauty. This, her third album, has been critically acclaimed in Australia and I'm delighted to see it released in the UK. Take a listen to this creative singer-songwriter. Maybe your ears will fall in love with her music like mine did.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2011 12:50 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2