Profile for John W > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Son
The Son

5.0 out of 5 stars Good enough to make a film, 10 July 2014
This review is from: The Son (Kindle Edition)
Well written with characters you can adhere to. Author at his best. A book that's very hard to put down.

Bite: The most gripping thriller you will ever read
Bite: The most gripping thriller you will ever read

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite infectious, 23 Jun 2014
A good book just a matter of personal preference by whoever is reading it and this one is not my cup of tea. I like a story to draw me in then race along with me in tow, but this book is split into three separate part stories that keep jostling each other to interrupt any flow although they are relevant to each other. As I said just personal preference.

As The Crow Flies (The DI Nick Dixon Crime Series Book 1)
As The Crow Flies (The DI Nick Dixon Crime Series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Cold and calculating, 22 April 2014
This is the first book I've read of the Nick Dixon series and although it appears that the author does his research it's the character that appears to let the book down. Dixon comes across as to cold or not a hero you can warm to like Connelly's Harry Bosch or MacBride's Logan. Will read another book before passing final judgment.

Chess Free
Chess Free

5.0 out of 5 stars A Chess Mate, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Chess Free (App)
Nice little app, with a level to suit beginners up to... well not quite grand master. My grandson had started to learn chess and being a fair player myself years ago i downloaded this so that we could play together when he came to visit. I started playing on it by myself after first downloading it and although i may be a bit rusty was surprised it beat me quite easily on a medium setting and i had to lower the setting to easy/novice to get back up to speed. After a few games I am gradually getting back to my best and have moved on to a higher setting. Very challenging, and is a great asset when my grandson visits. More than happy, recommended.

Album Cover Finder
Album Cover Finder

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant..., 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Album Cover Finder (App)
Found every cover I needed in my collection. Does what it says, so well recommended. Would gladly have paid for this app.

OLBG Sports Betting Tips
OLBG Sports Betting Tips

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing like the real deal, 24 Feb 2014
This review is from: OLBG Sports Betting Tips (App)
Firstly i'd like to say that i'm already an interactive member on the olbg site and have been for a number of years. Its a great site that i visit daily via my laptop. If you like most sports then this is the site for you, there are many members who are knowledgeable about all sports on this site who offer good constructive reasoning and advice within the forum and its all completely free. Also there are daily and weekly challenges where you can pit yourself against many of the other members and certainly win prestige and sometimes small cash prizes BUT this app does not let you into the main forum itself. As soon as i saw the app i thought yes i need that for my portable tablet so i can access the site via wi-fi whilst travelling so after downloading you can imagine my disappointment when i found out that the actual bulk of the site was not available. All you really get are the lists of matches that are taking place along with the relevant odds offered. This app is not for me, as i said a major disappointment.

The Amateur Poacher
The Amateur Poacher

5.0 out of 5 stars Was I born too late, 18 Feb 2014
Wonderful tales of bygone days. Superbly written with a vivid imagination and what can only be described as a true knowledge of country life a century ago. As a person who is old enough to remember many days as a youngster roaming safely through the countryside on balmy summer days taking in the wonderful sounds, sights and smells of mother nature, it brought back a life that I now sorely miss. Thoroughly recommended.

Rock Radio
Rock Radio

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Headbanging, 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: Rock Radio (App)
Something for everyone who downloads this app, easily the best one i've found, oh happy days (and nights) rock radio at its best, playing classics from your favourite decade.

Flightradar24 Pro - Kindle Edition
Flightradar24 Pro - Kindle Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Frightning info, 16 Feb 2014
I knew that air traffic near airports like Heath Row was pretty hectic but until I installed this app and actually had a visual of what was going on it made me realize that air traffic controllers are worth every penny they are paid. Often lie in bed in the mornings having a cuppa and watch the planes flying overhead (as I live just 6 miles from Birmingham Airport) wondering about their destinations. Now I can get all the information on screen and track the destinations. Unfortunately we've only had one clear day since I got the app so I hav'nt had the opportunity of seeing the planes then referring to the app for the information but obviously the app itself works fine in all weathers.

Virtual Fireplace
Virtual Fireplace

5.0 out of 5 stars Winter Warmer, 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: Virtual Fireplace (App)
Getting a bit carried away with the heading but a nice little app that gives peace of mind whilst operating. Not just the look of the flickering flames but its enhanced with the realistic sound of burning wood. Needs the lights out or dimmed for full effect, Did read somewhere where apps can be transferred from android tablets to smart tv screens, if so, the effect would be awesome.

Page: 1 | 2