Profile for Ms. Nancy Buckland > Reviews

Content by Ms. Nancy Buckland

Ms. Nancy Buckland "foxymissb" (Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Front Roe: How to Be the Leading Lady in Your Own Life
Front Roe: How to Be the Leading Lady in Your Own Life

4.0 out of 5 stars A FROW view from a girl with Brit style!, 29 April 2015
Louise Roe is a hugely engaging writer and when it comes to fashion, she has a great working knowledge of all things style. I am older than her 'Plain Jane' fan base, but I still love the show, and I was interested to pick up her tips. I bought this as a hardcover book and I am glad I did. It is beautifully put together. As well as sections on style, fashion and beauty she also looks at health and lifestyle, which I really enjoyed. There is a lot to read in this book, which I like, and it is very encouraging to be able to look at your own wardrobe before you hit the shops. This would make a lovely gift for the avid fashionista in your life. My only tiny gripe is that a lot of the language is aimed at the U.S. market, which I understand, but it would have been lovely to have a Brit-style version. Overall, Ms. Roe has earned her stripes as a writer and ace stylist, and I look forward to her next work.

Men in White Suits: Liverpool FC in the 1990s - The Players' Stories
Men in White Suits: Liverpool FC in the 1990s - The Players' Stories
by Simon Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars From the terraces to Armani: a brilliant view of LFC in the 90's........, 22 April 2015
I bought this book by Simon Hughes on the strength of his previous one, which was a great read about Liverpool Football Club during the 1980's. I am an Evertonian, as it happens, but I read this with great interest as I remember the time very well, even though us Blues were busy worshipping at the Shrine of Big Dunc on the other side of Stanley Park. Simon is a really engaging writer. He has an in-depth knowledge not just of the club but of his home city and its culture, and it comes across in his work. As well as spending time with some of the big names of the era, he also interviews players whose names might have escaped the media's glare, and their stories add a great deal to what will always be known as the era of the Spice Boys. Snapshots in time tend to just focus on the highlights and lowlights, but actually hearing about real-life experience of life in the team makes this book come to life. A theme running through the book, of old meets new, really reflects not just the changes in football and the city, but in the whole of the country at the time. Footballers, pop stars and actors were now all thrown together, and some of them even got invited to Number 10, which set a standard that has only grown as times have moved forward. Simon has the ear of the people he is speaking to, and their trust to do a great job, which he does very well. The foreword by Jamie Carragher also really sets the scene. If there is a trilogy, then I am not sure my Blue heart could read, even more than it has to, about that night in 2005, but I hope the author writes about what we now call the Noughties just the same. As for the white suits? Well, it was only a few short years after that a certain Mr. Beckham was wearing ladies' sarongs and nobody was surprised, but at the time they were a real talking point, and have remained so. I actually think they created a moment. Not the greatest in the club's history in terms of wins, but a time when young men on the terraces really started taking notice of style. And at the end of the day, it was only fashion, and not a life or death, or something far more important than that. Well done, Mr. Hughes, on another great shot.

Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Happier Life
Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Happier Life

1.0 out of 5 stars A load of huff and puff!, 1 Aug. 2014
The reason that Arianna has more time to relax and have more time to herself is because she can write a book this short and I paid good money to read it. For someone who is a writer and an accomplished woman, this should have been a fascinating and informative read. Sadly, it lacked in any real content and to call it thin is an understatement.

How I Nailed It!: Leighton Denny
How I Nailed It!: Leighton Denny

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful tale with nowt taken out!, 1 Aug. 2014
I work in the beauty industry and have always been a fan of Leighton and his work! I thought I knew a lot about him - I didn't! This book isn't written with frills and flounces, it is a tale of an ordinary kid from Bradford who ends up leading a lifestyle of the rich and famous. What is interesting, though, is how he got there. Leighton doesn't skirt around the truth but tells his life exactly as it has happened. it is funny, blunt, honest and what I would call a real romp of a story. From being a forklift truck driver, to learning his craft on cruise ships, Leighton does not paint a picture of an easy ride to the top, so for anyone starting off in their career this would be a fabulous read. Leighton's tenacity pays off and you have to admire him from it. He is still just a boy from Bradford, though, and anyone who can fit a guy called Granville in his story, alongside Joan Collins, Jade Jagger and jam roly poly has me turning every page with interest.

Stories I Only Tell My Friends
Stories I Only Tell My Friends

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, so you're Rob Lowe? Now try and impress me............., 7 July 2014
Like many young female fans, I had the 1980's Rob Lowe poster, I watched The Outsiders, loved Class and had St. Elmo's Fire on a loop. This autobiography is at its best when sharing his stories about his younger years - Lowe had an unconventional upbringing. As a kid he wants to be an actor, and so it is a strange twist of fate that brings him into contact with Hollywood. I enjoyed hearing about his teenage days - hard to believe the girls weren't flocking around him, but he explains it well enough. It is kind of sad that so many actors from The Brat Pack never got to show their talents later on in their careers, in a way that would fulfil the potential they showed. For Lowe who was as talented as he was, and is still, handsome, he found it hard to shake off that 'pretty boy' tag enough to have the career that Brad Pitt has enjoyed. I was disappointed there wasn't more detail about his TV career, and of course, the story does hint at scandal but there isn't really any here. You get the feeling that is out for respect for his wife and young sons, which is fine. We are just so used to brutal and frank. I am still a huge fan, and to me About Last Night will always be something magical. Perhaps I am better off not knowing too much.......................PS If you think Rob is handsome you have never seen his dad!

Prison Time
Prison Time
by Shaun Attwood

5.0 out of 5 stars What really happens when wolfish ambition goes wrong.............., 15 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Prison Time (Paperback)
If you have already been reading this trilogy, then you will know that this is going to be the toughest set of chapters. Shaun Attwood, who has chronicled his tale in his previous two books has by now covered his time as the small town boy from the North West of England, who goes on to be an ambitious stockbroker in the U.S. After the hedonism of his earlier lifestyle, Shaun has been on a path to living a life of high finance and then crime. This book deals with the time when you think there will be no end in sight: the author's incarceration in one of America's toughest jails. Shaun never veers from the deeply shocking truth, and whilst his time in prison comes after he has been involved in activities that are punishable by law, you can't help but wondering what you do, how you would feel, and how you would cope if you had to trade places. I was most shocked by the amount of people who lose their freedom through untreated mental illness - it is something again that Shaun deals with in this book, even if it is an unpalatable reality. Shaun is a hugely intelligent writer who sweeps you along with his story, and you never want him to give up. His rich observation of real life characters like T-Bone is heart wrenching at times, but you won't want to put this book down. You want to stay with Shaun and find out what happens, and if he finds light at the end of a very dark tunnel. The sign of a truly good book is that it makes you question yourself, your own life and your own character long after you have read the last page. It so easy to judge another person's life, but this book throws up so many questions and dilemmas. This is a truly remarkable third part to the trilogy, and a fitting end to what started off as a very personal prison diary, which shows the warmth of the author from start to finish.

The Storyteller
The Storyteller

5.0 out of 5 stars A question in ethics, a lesson from history and an enthralling tale............., 9 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Storyteller (Kindle Edition)
As a young child in the 1970's the Holocaust was still a huge talking point in the media, although I never remember it being discussed at school. As a former history teacher, I have read as much as I can on the subject, not from a mawkish point of view, but I have always felt that if you can pass the message along, then people may hopefully never repeat the lesson - considering the world we live in today it may be falling on deaf ears. I haven't read Jodi Picoult for a while, and I picked this up just as a bit of light reading, without noting the synopsis. I am sure that historical purists would shudder at this novel, but the heart behind it, and the intriguing tale that untangles itself, is hugely compelling. While the modern day stories of Sage, a damaged young woman who has lost her parents, and Leo, and FBI agent committed to hunting SS Nazis, it is the histories of Minka and Josef that unveil the most. Minka is a survivor of the Holocaust, and Sage's grandmother, and Josef, a former SS guard who lives out another life in the U.S. and befriends Sage at a grief counselling group. The Holocaust will always be such an emotive subject but Picoult brings some human touches that from our place in time we find hard to understand: Minka is protected by a senior SS guard in the ghetto where she lives, and yet is appalled by the behaviour of the Jewish elder in charge of overseeing the ghetto. Josef's story is horrific in parts, but it does in some way explain what on earth went through the minds of young men who went from teenagers to mass murderers in less than a decade. The book never shies away from what the Jewish people went through, but it is in the ordinary details of everyday living that capture the story and make it interesting. It is how people survived and went on to live again. I won't spoil the quandary or the ending, but it is a long time since I have enjoyed book this much. I don't think as long as I live I will even understand how this atrocity happened, but I shall never want to stop reading, or learning more. It doesn't matter whether it is from a Nobel peace prize winner or a novelist, it is a lesson that needs to be passed down through every generation. Well done Ms. Picoult.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 30, 2015 7:41 AM BST

Mostly Cloudy With Some Bright Spells
Mostly Cloudy With Some Bright Spells

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly engaging tale!, 31 Jan. 2014
If you have a long term illness then this book will be of interest to you. If you are fighting fit, and just want an engaging read that will make you laugh and cry in equal measure then I can't say enough about this gem. Juliette has what most young women at the time would have dreamed about - a job on a fun magazine, travelling the world, and meeting her favourite sportsmen and footballers. Juliette is no wanabee WAG, by the way. She is a richly intelligent, funny and self-depreciating character, and when you begin to read her story you can't help but laugh at some of the situations she gets herself into. However, after being struck down with serious illnesses Juliette doesn't shy away from what pain, in every sense, involves. Her dark and witty humour never leaves her, though, and it is this that makes this work special. When Juliette has periods when she feels slightly stronger you have to admire her will, as she lives life to the fullest effect. After reading this book I felt encouraged by Julia's honesty, and you can't help but be warmed by the relationship she has with her parents and brother. There is no ending to a book like this, so I hope Juliette will follow it up. I shall watch and wait.........

The Body Book
The Body Book

5.0 out of 5 stars See past the Perfect Body and get some great healthy, fitness and being-a-woman advice!, 26 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Body Book (Kindle Edition)
I splashed out on the paperback of this, and it was well worth it. The fact that Cameron looks pore-perfect on the cover would usually make any woman feel insecure. I work in the beauty industry and I know how hard it is on girls and women to look at images of perfection. However, with Cameron in the driving seat you know you are in for a good read. There are few pictures in the book, and they are amazing, but they are really inspirational rather than 'look at me.' The words work their magic. Cameron leaves no stone unturned and she is quite happy to share her own insecurities, and is not scared of shying away from taboo subjects, even things you might not talk to your best friend about. For a Hollywood actress, her attitude is down-to-earth and you can imagine sitting talking to her about anything. She is a proper girl's girl. A great buy and a brilliant present!

Just One Evil Act: An Inspector Lynley Novel: 15
Just One Evil Act: An Inspector Lynley Novel: 15

1.0 out of 5 stars The end of a Lynley era for me, 14 Nov. 2013
I have long been a fan of the Inspector Lynley series. I know that writers have to move forward but there are some keys aspects that readers always enjoy - Lynley's obvious wealth that contrasts with his love for his job, his strange but very loving relationship with Havers, and the fact that the pair of them will go on adventures to solve crimes, often bending the rules along the way. After the truly awful 'What Came Before He Shot her' I hoped that a classic Lynley book would be just what us fans needed. Firstly, we have Lynley pursuing this farcical romance. Then we move onto the plot about Hadiyah. George has built the relationship between Havers and the little girl and his father so sensitively over the years. When she goes missing it gives the perfect chance for a storyline about her search, which you hope Havers will be at the frontline of, ready for action. Instead you get what all authors do when short on story - take it abroad. The moving of the story to Italy, involving a cast of characters that you do not care about, is just adding insult to injury. By this point there are far too many characters to speak of, and to be quite honest, you give up hope of caring. It is a long book, and I was already giving up just a quarter of the way through, but I stayed with it. If I could ask for my money book I would and itis was great sadness that I will not purchase another Lynley mystery. I have been such a loyal and avid reader but sometimes you have to know when to throw in the towel.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2014 1:42 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6