Profile for J. Magill > Reviews

Harmony Guides: Knit Edgings & Trims
Harmony Guides: Knit Edgings & Trims
by Kate Haxell

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay., 13 Feb. 2014
I was a bit disappointed in this as I have all the Harmony guides and found them excellent. There was nothing different enough to have me itching to start a new project and out of the 150 designs I only liked one. Yes, seriously. Obviously everyone has different tastes but this isn't one of their better publications. My advice - buy if you can get a cheap copy on Amazon.

50 Fabulous Knitted Borders
50 Fabulous Knitted Borders
by Rita Weiss

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Find!, 13 Feb. 2014
This is better in my opinion then the much more expensive Harmony Guide Knit Edgings & Trims. Some very unusual designs and at least 6 of which I am going to incorporate into my Winter sweaters. A great little inexpensive cheermeup and an excellent addition to the knitters bookshelf.

Cables Untangled
Cables Untangled
by Melissa Leapman

2.0 out of 5 stars Not For Me!, 13 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Cables Untangled (Paperback)
All the cable designs (and there are some nice ones) were on charts. Usually you get both chart and written instructions. If like me you don't like charted designs avoid.

Continuous Cables
Continuous Cables
by Melissa Leapman

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice cables but all on charts!, 13 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Continuous Cables (Paperback)
I would have given this book 4 stars for content but I was very disappointed to see that they were all on charts - my pet hate and always seems a cheap alternative.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2014 12:19 AM GMT

Draper 69349 600-Watt Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
Draper 69349 600-Watt Handheld Vacuum Cleaner

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad!, 24 Nov. 2012
This is okay but no more. Picks up crumbs easily enough and has quite a good suction, the only thing it struggled with was picking up hairs from the carpet no matter how many times I went over the same spot with the brush head on. I didn't have a problem with the tools becoming detatched during cleaning but it did get pretty warm and it was only on for 'testing' for about 4 mins or so. The biggest drawback I found was that it needed emptying after every use and the filter needed cleaning/washing. Having said all that though there are some pretty dire hand held vacuums out there judging by a lot of reviews I've read so if you can get a cheapie I would say give it a go.

"Vogue Knitting": Very Easy Knits
"Vogue Knitting": Very Easy Knits
by Trisha Malcolm

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Timeless Designs, 26 Oct. 2012
I loved this book which is full of timeless designs and will definitely delight the 'chunkies' out there like me. The yarns are mostly no longer available but alternatives are suggested. Luckily I have a huge stash of vintage yarns including the fabulous Mohair Lungo. Something for everybody may be a bit of a cliche but is true in this case - even a couple of lovely designs for the kiddies. Most of the designs can be knitted up in no time using big 9 or 10 mm needles. There are some beautiful cropped cardigans - mad men style - which should go down well with the younger end. Simplified instructions make most projects achievable by the novice knitter. There are at least 6 designs I am def going to make for myself especially the beautiful cowl neck sweater in mohair which is TDF. No doubt there will be some reviewers moaning about the designs being boring but we are talking Very Easy Very Vogue and it is exactly what it says on the tin!

Glove Box Engine Starter with Emergency LED Light, USB Charger & Battery Charge Checker

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally rubbish, 26 May 2012
Bought this on ebay as it sounded just what I needed. It would have been fab if it had worked. Useless instructions. I'm getting my money back - and ringing the garage.
STOP PRESS! It actually got my flat battery going! I think it had only just gone flat because it was still turning over. Plugged this in and left it for half an hour removed it and was amazed when the car started! So it saved me the cost of calling the garage out which has paid for itself. Despite this success I am pretty sure it wouldn't start a really flat battery but might be useful to leave in the car for an emergency torch.

Knitting New Scarves: 27 Distinctly Modern Designs
Knitting New Scarves: 27 Distinctly Modern Designs
by Lynne Barr

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing....., 10 April 2012
Sorry, the people who give this book rave reviews with a five star rating ought to put down their knitting needles and get out more! Absolutely nothing to get excited about at all - unless you love mediocre rib designs heading off in different directions. Having read some of the more glowing feedback I was expecting amazing designs and couldn't wait to delve in - instead I flicked through the uninspired pages thinking that there MUST be something different or at least one scarf I liked or even quite liked. Then I reached the back page and thought I must have missed a few pages. Er....no! BORING!! And worse than boring, the yarns aren't even available over here. I agree with the reviewer who said the best design was on the front cover - it is. Much much better books out there - try Nicky Epstein or try and get this book from the library. That way you can return it without parting with your money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 31, 2013 3:24 PM BST