Profile for Ferrin Sanders > Reviews

Content by Ferrin Sanders

Ferrin Sanders (Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates)

Return To Treasure Island - The Complete Series [DVD] [1986]
Return To Treasure Island - The Complete Series [DVD] [1986]
Dvd ~ Brian Blessed

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Show If You're Lucky Enough to Get It!, 6 Jan. 2009
Action, adventure, comedy, gorgeous scenery, authentic-looking costumes and settings, romance, and the most beautiful musical score I ever heard in my life! "Return to Treasure Island" features all that and has the added plus of containing zero profanity. It is safe and enjoyable for all ages (well, probably too much fighting for small kids, but at least there's no gore).

I taped this wonderful 10-part mini-series off the Disney Channel back in the 80s. My husband, 2 sons, and I watched it over and over again until the tapes wore out. In recent years I have repeatedly checked on Amazon to see if it was out on DVD and always came up disappointed. Nothing was available except old, used video tapes. How could something this good just disappear? Finally, to my great joy, I found it on the UK Amazon site and I was able to see my husband's face light up on Christmas morning when he opened his gift.

I'm sure glad I bought this DVD set when I had the chance because I see that it's now unavailable again (didn't last long!) except in high-priced re-sale. It never showed up on the American Amazon site because it still hasn't come out in region-1 format. We are an American family currently living overseas and all the DVD players are region-free where we are. Once we move back to the States, we will have to buy a region-free DVD player in order to play these DVDs since they are in region-2 format (not US format). Well, hopefully by then, "Return to Treasure Island" will be availble in region-1 format. When/if that happens I hope they will add subtitles. I love the pirate talk (so quirky and funny), but a lot of the dialogue is hard to understand. It would also be nice to have some bonus features (background info on the making of the movie). A series this good deserves first-class treatment!