Profile for Ms. L. E. Spurr > Reviews

Content by Ms. L. E. Spurr

Ms. L. E. Spurr "lara-s" (Durham, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Decent One [DVD]
The Decent One [DVD]
Dvd ~ Vanessa Lapa

5.0 out of 5 stars Stark and Unforgettable!, 15 Jan. 2016
This review is from: The Decent One [DVD] (DVD)
This film is extremely creepy and gradually builds to a horrifying finale which is truly sickening. Anyone not familiar with Holocaust Studies should maybe watch this first for a lesson in how human self-delusion, antiquated superstition and basic callousness can lead to unimaginable atrocity. Superbly made in a rather sparse and stark style, this was unforgettable!

Blue Magic Argan Oil Herbal Complex Leave-In Hair Conditioner 390 g
Blue Magic Argan Oil Herbal Complex Leave-In Hair Conditioner 390 g
Offered by BeautySpires

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Leave-in!, 15 Jan. 2016
Great leave-in, gives great moisture and softness, I use it before the Blue Magic Conditioner Hairdress every day and it's keeping my bleached locks in great condition! Will definitely buy this again!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Magical Hippy-smelling Hair Grease - defo a Holy Grail!, 15 Jan. 2016
This is amazing and literally transforms my hair instantly! I have fine, curly and dry european hair which I've been gradually lightening and dying back to blonde from brunette and this has really helped me keep the condition - it gives amazing shine and really defines my curls. I use it as a sealer after moisturizing with the Blue Magic Argan Oil with Herbal Complex leave-in conditioner. At night I'm using Africa's Best Organic's Growth and Strength Oil as a hair food, but I've ordered the Blue Magic Hair Food to try as well. This product (plus the others I've been using) has made my hair look better than it did before I bleached it, and has a sort of hippy scent to it (? vetiver) which has really grown on me. It's very gooey so I have to rub it between my hands to soften it, but it's easy to apply and works just like it says on the pot - magic! This has to be one of my all-time favourite hair products!

Africa's Best Organics Growth & Strength Oil 235 ml
Africa's Best Organics Growth & Strength Oil 235 ml
Offered by BeautySpires

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for dry, thirsty hair and smells gorgeous!, 15 Jan. 2016
I use this as a hair food at night and it leaves my dry, curly bleached european hair in lovely condition. I've been trying to get my hair to "Luna Lovegood Blonde" and after one bleach and two blonde box dyes over the last few weeks my hair is quite thirsty and in need of serious pampering - this makes hair feel instantly softer and smoother and smells nice as well - like some sort of fruit. Would definitely buy again!

PERMANENT HAIR COLOUR CREAM HAIR DYE COVER YOUR GREY HAIR COLOUR 9.9 (PIGEON BLONDE)
Offered by hairnbeautyshop

4.0 out of 5 stars Great colour and conditioning, shame about the strong smell!, 5 Jan. 2016
I used this a week after bleaching to tone down brassy tones in my lightish blonde hair, and it has definitely worked! I didn't go the shade of the model on the box (probably because I had too many orange tones) but I'm still pleased with the result in terms of not being quite such a vibrant warm blonde shade! I wanted to lift my colour slightly as well, and this did lift it probably about a shade and a half (I didn't want to bleach my hair again to avoid damage, and thought it better to just lift to the level I want gradually with box dyes now, since I'm so close to my target colour and all). It was easy enough to use, despite the pack not coming with a bottle, since I just mixed the developer sachet and colour cream up in a plastic tub and then applied it by what I call the "squidge method" (ie, just plaster it on and squidge it into the roots - it worked anyway!) It was a nice creamy formula, but very strong smelling - the smell reminded me of L'Oreal Recital which I try to avoid nowadays because it has such a strong ammonia smell and can make my scalp feel a little tender - this dye has had the same effect, and it's only for this reason that I haven't given it a full 5 stars. It's basically good value for money I reckon, and left my hair feeling quite nice. The little packet of conditioner struck me as rather too meagre and thin to really have any effect when I first poured it out and applied it, but it turns out that it's one of those ones which actually make your hair feel fabulous once it's rinsed out, despite it's rather unimpressive texture. I'm not sure I'd use this dye again myself (I think i might need ammonia free colourants nowadays really), but it's definitely not a fail IMO, and gave a nice even colour. You get a fair amount of product in the pack too (it was difficult to gauge initially because the packs have grams rather than mls on them), so I bought two packs to be on the safe side - I did open them both as a matter of course and the two together were more than enough to give a really generous application on my shoulder length hair (you get about twice as much as in, say, a Mellor and Russell box dye which only really has enough to cover the hair of a pixie!) I've just done the colour this morning, so can't comment on its staying-power, but will update on that in future.

W7 Vamp Me Up Halloween Makeup Set
W7 Vamp Me Up Halloween Makeup Set
Offered by Headprom

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value and I use it regularly!, 28 Dec. 2015
This is a great set and not just for Halloween! Because I have very pale skin I've found the face paint useful as a concealer (it's the same kind of formula) and on any areas that I want to brighten (I use Laval Secret Beauty Foundation in either white or opal as my base with their white powder over the top.) I use the black eyeshadow to shade and sometimes to line my eyes, and I layer the black lipstick over the red to make black cherry. I've yet to try the nail polishes but I've used w7's before and it's not bad, so these will be useful additions to my collection.

151 Products Ltd 5 X Interior Dehumidifier
151 Products Ltd 5 X Interior Dehumidifier
Offered by BargainShop_London

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value dehumidifiers!, 28 Dec. 2015
A great pack for my caravan - these work really well and I can definitely tell the difference when I put one in a wardrobe or corner because it just eats up any musty smells! Will definitely be buying again when these run out - great value for money!

Smart Blonde High-lift Hair Lightener & Ash Blonde Conditioning Toner
Smart Blonde High-lift Hair Lightener & Ash Blonde Conditioning Toner
Offered by The Official Smart Beauty Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Lightener!, 28 Dec. 2015
I've just used this today and am very impressed. I've been dying my hair for around 18 years and have bleached it many times at home. I've used many of the lighteners available in the shops (L'Oreal Superblonde, Belle Blonde, Garnier Nutrisse etc etc) and this one is by far the best. It left my hair in excellent condition (you can smell the conditioning oils in it), whereas in the past a lightener of this strength would have left me with a frizzy, permanently damaged mess. It also lightened my hair to the desired level in half an hour, which is a first (I have medium ash brown hair naturally which usually takes around 40 - 50 minutes to lighten to a pale golden blonde ready for toning.) The mixture was easy to use and didn't go dry and chalky quickly, making it easier to spread through the hair (rare for a lightener!) Because I'd recently tried to darken my hair with indigo and henna which had taken particularly on the ends of my hair (and yeah I know it says on the pack not to use this over henna, probably because the results are unpredictable) there was some bluish "pondweedy" streaks left in places - completely my own fault of course because I'd gone against package instructions, but not entirely ugly IMO. As others have said, the toner in these packs isn't the best and you might as well just use a purple silverizing shampoo and conditioner afterwards which would have the same effect (Jerome Russell toners are better really, shame their lighteners aren't as good as this one!) It did condition my hair nicely though and smelled pleasant. I therefor haven't got my final colour yet and will likely use a permanent light ash blonde over the top of this in a few days to get the look on the front of the pack. I've never got quite so close to the exact blonde colour I want with one bleaching however, and it's for this reason that I'll definitely be using this one again to do my roots. Some may not like the format as a tint brush application, but after years of struggling not to overlap bleach onto already bleached hair using a nozzle-bottle applicator, I taught myself to use a tint brush and two mirrors so I could see the back of my head when doing root retouches (once you get the hang of it it's just as quick and easy really). I just used a plastic bowl to mix the developer and bleach powder and applying the mixture onto the ends first wasn't too bad. Getting it onto the roots afterwards wasn't easy though as it's difficult to part the already covered hair (doing the roots last is necessary to get an even colour as the hair nearest the head bleaches faster due to body heat). In the end I just "squidged" the rest of the mixture all over my head and luckily it was pretty much even after the development time was completed. I have shoulder-length hair and it took two packs to do my whole head and I just say had enough to do a generous application. I might just get the basic Smart Blonde lightener minus the toner next time (either that or just get this pack again and leave the toner on for about 15 minutes rather than the recommended 3 for the ash blonde shade as stated in the instructions.) I'm very pleased with it anyway!

Shell Shock [DVD] (aka Triage) [2009]
Shell Shock [DVD] (aka Triage) [2009]
Dvd ~ Colin Farrell
Offered by Qoolist

5.0 out of 5 stars A Harrowing Tale portrayed with Spectacular Performances, 7 July 2014
This has to be one of the most moving films I've ever seen, with stellar performances by the whole cast, but in particular by both Colin Farrell and Christopher Lee. I really wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was because this seems to be a rather obscure film which I'd never heard of before seeing it listed here on Amazon whilst looking at something else. However, I'm glad I found it because it is a real gem of a war film which strikes right at the heart of how people try to cope with traumatic experiences and the terrible choices they may face in war. I've never seen survivor guilt protrayed quite so intensely or convincingly as this. Brilliant!

The Evil Inside/The Corridor/State Of Emergency [DVD]
The Evil Inside/The Corridor/State Of Emergency [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hannah Ward
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars A great value set with loads of food for thought..., 6 July 2014
I only paid £1.99 for this set altogether (including postage) and was really pleased I bought it. I thought every film was good, but briefly here's my impression of each one:

The Evil Inside - this is a subtle and very scary portrayal IMO of one young woman's experience of severe psychosis, bullying, and the selfish, ignorant cruelty of others. Some viewers may feel some aspects of it are nonsensical or even farcical (you may find yourself wondering at one point "why don't they just go out of a window?!") but then psychosis very rarely makes a lot of sense to an outside observer. I'll watch this again.

The Corridor - takes a while to build but this sci-fi horror is well worth the time and trouble, because once again there is a theme of insanity, plus possession by some sort of superior intelligence which seems to bring out people's dark side. I think I'll need to watch this again to get the best out of it.

State of Emergency - this was an excellent zombie film which I watched through my fingers in many parts. Not particularly gory, but the building of tension was very artfully done. The story focuses more on the survivors and how they cope with a life-threatening crisis. I've always felt that the zombie genre raises some sort of ancestral memory (not just ancestral but current for people in some parts of the world) of epidemic disease, famine etc during which ordinarily sane and civilized human beings may be reduced to animal level. Another one to watch again I think!

All in all I think this set offers excellent value for money for what you're getting - they won't be everyone's cup of tea for sure, but I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and subtlety of all three of these movies, which perhaps weren't big budget but more than made up for this in story and atmosphere.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4