Profile for Paul Richards > Reviews

Great Escape
Great Escape
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Not firing blanks, 5 Mar 2009
This review is from: Great Escape (MP3 Download)
The thing I love about the band and the album is the uncanny ability to write reasonably short and simple songs which acquire their own richness through repeated listening. I first saw the band a couple of years back when they were supported by the grossly under-rated Milburn. The band had a likeable and infectious quality about them that was superbly reflected on the first album. This album was worth the wait. I caught my 8 year old daughter playing the Cd through her karaoke machine yesterday and singing out Science in Violence ignorant of the fact I was killing myself outside the room. The opener really gets the blood racing although its message seems to be lost on me - I blast it out my car to the annoyance of the village residents! I doubt they want to hear the songs I like;
well tough. The song The Great Escape finds the band in a non-critical way in "That's Entertainment" territory and yet the band bring something unique to the song. All the tracks lead in the right direction my particular favourites being Winter Calls and Romeo and Julie. Lookout for the additional bonus track after For The Meantime - sounds Oasis like and rocks - this bonus track seems to be becoming a trademeark - listen for it a minute or so after the end of each album. Keep it up lads - and I recommend seeing them live where the songs take on anthemic proportions.

These Are The Facts
These Are The Facts

5.0 out of 5 stars DOES NOT REQUIRE A LISTEN TO RATE, 7 Sep 2007
This review is from: These Are The Facts (Audio CD)
Roll up roll up- the hard-working and productive Milburn in follow up album shock. Yes, only a mere 12 months after Well Well Well comes an album which judging by the recent tour promises to deliver just like its predecessor. What is especially pleasing is the fact the band is not putting out older songs but actually writing new ones, something many of the "it" bands should take note of. If it avoids and "filler material" accusations then it is about time they actually get some recognition from the media although I would hate the day to arrive when seeing them meant looking at a screen a 100 meteres away. Good luck to the lads.

No Love Lost
No Love Lost
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 32.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Rifling not Trifling, 29 April 2007
This review is from: No Love Lost (Audio CD)
Like a little saddo I was there on the day of release fresh from seeing the band a couple of times, once notably supported by Milburn. They are a crack unit delivering an easy and reliveable listen and delivering the goods when it comes to live performances. Who cannot be moved or nod sagely to the lyrics in Narrow Minded Social Club(I have kids!) or want to leap about like an idiot to Robin Hood? I really hope the band can sustain this level of songwriting when it comes to the next album. In a selfish way I almost hope they don't make it big as otherwise I would dread to think of a dumbing down album circa Razorlight- saw them recently and none of the "fans" near us knew Dalston!

Well Well Well
Well Well Well
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Album will be great, 7 Sep 2006
This review is from: Well Well Well (Audio CD)
This is a class act from Sheffield. I have seen them twice and am going again in October. The album is worth the extra few weeks wait if the songs I've heard so far are anything to go by. Also, they will put some limited editions out in the first pressings to whet our appetites.

Brewster, Roll Out the Barrell and What You Could Have Won are bound to please. It is a shame Dancing On the Kitchen Floor is omitted. Good luck to this likeable band who deserve success.