Profile for Joshua Pittman > Reviews

Content by Joshua Pittman

Joshua Pittman

Growth Hacker Marketing: A Primer on the Future of PR, Marketing, and Advertising (APenguin Special from Portfolio)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 27 April 2014
More please. Direct, lucid and easy to read. If you're in marketing or a complete beginner this should point you in the right direction.

7 Proven Strategies RESTAURANT MARKETING Strategies To Increase Your Restaurant Business Today!

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter Rubbish, 2 Jan. 2014
This book is about as helpful as a drunken conversation with a marketing guy at the pub. Given it's title, you would expect 7 strategies to market your restaurant but there isn't a single coherent strategy in the book. It is filled with "claims" and absolutely no evidence to substantiate them. The rest is just random bits of vague, unhelpful information. My favourite was "Using twitter is as easy as opening a new account, creating profile and beginning to gather followers." Save yourself the time, frustration and disappointment.

The author even wastes a whole chapter to say that bad reviews need to be responded to immediately. Let see how long it takes to respond to this one.

Restaurant Marketing Primer: 82+ Ideas to implement now
Restaurant Marketing Primer: 82+ Ideas to implement now

1.0 out of 5 stars A Complete Waste of Time, 29 Dec. 2013
It's just a collection of 82 random ideas that range from the relatively actionable to the ultra vague. Most of the idea overlap and are just co-promoting, giving things away for free and throwing events. There is absolutely no sense of progression or any semblance of an overall strategy. To be fair, I should have been more wary of a book that has a picture of a book for its cover.

A Life Stripped Bare: My Year Trying To Live Ethically
A Life Stripped Bare: My Year Trying To Live Ethically
by Leo Hickman

3.0 out of 5 stars MEASURABLE CHANGE, 7 Sept. 2013
I found this book interesting.

It was a peek into the life of a middle class family struggling to change their consumer ways in the heart of London. It humorous and honest and it dragged you into the sticky complexity of what "ethical" even means in todays world, without bogging you down.

As someone who loves reading about lifestyle experiments I was quite shocked that there was absolutely no quantification of how successful the experiment was. There was no way to know which of the changes Leo made were the most effective and how effective they were. I think this is quite important for people who want to replicate the experiment and I'm surprised that at no point did the Author make an attempt to map or track his progress.

To be fair tracking lifestyle changes and quantifying ethics is harder than it seems...but thats exactly why it would have been interesting to do it.

Apart from that I thought the book was great.

It explores a range of lifestyle facets that tie into what constitutes an ethical life and it pokes at the complexity of trying to get other people to change with you.

If you've tried lifestyle experimentation before then this book won't appeal to you but if you are new to the game (and you're a middle class family with a newborn living in london) then its a wonderful introduction.

The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich
The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich
by Timothy Ferriss

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've ever read, hands-down., 1 Jun. 2013
Great read, unlike any other book I've read. I never liked business books till I read this. The content is interesting but its the way the author thinks that makes this book.

Opening Skinner's Box: Great Psychological Experiments of the Twentieth Century
Opening Skinner's Box: Great Psychological Experiments of the Twentieth Century
by Lauren Slater

4.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Slater, 1 Jun. 2013
I learnt more about psychology in this book that I did from a 3 year degree in the subject. A great read for psychology students and people new to subject. I would definitely give it to my kids, if I had any.

On The Map: Why the world looks the way it does
On The Map: Why the world looks the way it does

3.0 out of 5 stars Maps: the pivot upon which the world so diligently spins, 1 Jun. 2013
I thought it was an interesting bird's eye view of how maps have shaped culture. I particularly liked the modern stuff about google maps but none of it would have been impressive had it not been put into context. I read the book as I watched the BBC's Maps: power, plunder and possession. If anyone would like to read a summary of the book I wrote a short piece here: http://www.eclecticjosh.com/post/47768334997/a-short-history-of-maps
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 4, 2013 12:04 PM BST