Profile for Harald > Reviews

Flying
Flying
Price: 7.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 31 Dec 2012
This review is from: Flying (Audio CD)
This record is not for the lovers of the meaningless and conventional hardrock which UFO started to produce when Mick Bolton had left the band (in 1973). This record is dominated by Mick Bolton's guitar playing. You love it or will hate it. For lovers of Psychedelic Rock such songs like Flying, Star Storm and Prince Kajuko are even after 40 years brilliant masterpieces. Flying is hypnotic and epic and Star Storm totally spaced out. This record is unique, it has no stylistic predecessor nor successor (what is a pity). Only bands like Kyuss or Monster Magnet started in the 90's walking in the foot-steps of the 70's Space Rock. Next to DoReMi from Hawkwind (also highly recommended) UFO 2 is a must for Space Rock lovers.

Blood Of The Nations
Blood Of The Nations
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Addictive!, 5 May 2012
This review is from: Blood Of The Nations (Audio CD)
Although I was listening to Accept since the 70's and having been always in love with songs like "Princess of the Dawn", "Balls to the Wall" or "Metal Heart" I never had a very strong relationship to this band and to their records. Most albums had too many fillers and there was always a lack of consistency in their releases. And since they split from U.D.O I never spent longer any attention to Accept. With a delay of two years I just discovered "Blood of the Nations" and two weeks ago "Stalingrad". What shall I say? These two records are 100% masterpieces. This is the perfect fusion of the old Accept style, a better song-writing than ever, a new ambitious singer with plenty of energy and soul and a fantastic production. Accept is still Accept but the material is walking through all facet of Classic and Power Metal. Without showing significant plagiarism you get the feeling that Rainbow (Stargazer), Judas Priest (British Steel, Painkiller), Manowar (Metal Kings) and the old Accept with U.D.O got melted into a perfectly balanced and very well mastered production (great work from Andy Sneap). The guitar work is mind-blowing. Great punchy bass play and kick ass drums. Mark is for me the most astonishing discovery. I see him on the same level with Rob Halford in his British Steel days. Long story short, Blood of the Nations is for me the best Classic Metal record since Metal Kings (thanks to Ross the Boss for that). Blood of the Nations and Stalingrad are quality beyond style and sub-genre taste. I will listen to these records the next 50 years - highly addictive stuff :-) So if you like Metal you need to have these records.

Fujifilm FinePix JX350 Digital Camera - Black (16MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera for that price, 28 Sep 2011
Recently I forgot for a trip to Germany my Panasonic DMC FX550 at home. Since I wanted to shoot many pictures with/for my son I was looking for a cheap point & shoot camera. The offer of 90 Euro for the Fuji Finepix JX 350 seemed reasonable to me since I was in the past always happy with my Fuji celluloid cameras. I did not regret the purchase. I was shooting approx 300 pictures in Germany and many of these pics had a good to acceptable quality. I used solely the 8 MB 4:3 image mode and the Auto program setting. For videos I used the 640 pixels mode. The handling and user interface are great. This camera is very easy to use and very compact with rounded edges so that it fits into every jeans pocket without causing any discomfort. The LCD is bright enough for allowing me to work under day-light conditions. The 5 x zoom lens with a 25mm wide-angle allows to use the camera for a wide range of motives. The shutter delay is acceptable for such a cheap camera. The auto-focus is not the fastest what requires always to wait 1/2 second longer than my shooting impulse is dictating me. I needed some time to get used to this. If the auto-focus gets enough time the images are sharp and crisp. The colors are OK although I got under low light conditions slightly reddish results. Video quality is good and more than a gimmick. The face recognition works great. I couldn't figure out if there is any positive influence of the image stabilization. Since I bought the camera and used it straight away after charging the battery I did not dig too much into the settings and programs. Compared with my SLR cameras I have always a problem with the slow response of such point & shoot cameras. My FX550 point & shoot compact isn't much better. Basically I expect from a point & shoot camera average results under many given conditions with little delay. For my taste in still too many shooting situations point & shoot compacts don't produce the expected results. My FX550 is clearly better in producing good results in a reliable manner. But for all situations where you can shoot with the JX 350 several pictures of one motive the camera is great. If you want that every picture will have a sufficient quality you should invest more money. In my case the JX 350 saved my Germany trip. And the handy format and small price of the JX 350 is motivating me to take the camera now more often with me than I would do it with my Panasonic DMC FX550. For that price the camera is offering a great image quality and doesn't require a study to use it.

Panasonic Lumix FX550 Digital Camera - Black (12.1MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid point & shoot camera, 28 Sep 2011
I bought this camera one year ago and I was never disappointed. The user interface and handling are top although the camera is like a brick. The build feels very solid. In my jeans I prefer the Fuji Finepix JX 350 because it has rounded edges. The image quality of the FX550 is perfect for such a small sensor, even low-light pictures are OK with an acceptable amount of noise. The colors are very neutral under most lighting conditions and the pictures are usually sharp and crisp. After switching on, the camera is quickly ready to shoot. I don't know if it is my memory card or the camera but the delay is sometimes annoying when you need to take several pictures in row manually - but the FX550 is still faster than my new Fuji Finepix JX 350. I am using the FX550 mostly as a point & shoot device but sometimes I am shooting pics with the manual settings for getting a more creative touch. All creative and program settings can be reached easily and most of these are self-explanatory. Helpful is the extra button for disabling/enabling the screen information which avoids to walk through a menu for getting an uncluttered screen. The 5 x zoom allows to take extra-wide pics (25 mm) what is great for landscape pics. Additionally to the step zoom button a full zoom/zoom reset button is located close to the shutter button what allows an easy max. zooming or zoom reset. The touch-screen is nice but in the playback mode I am running too often into the zoom mode when I simply try to swipe to the next picture. That is annoying. The battery life-time is about 300 pictures (with a lot of zooming and reviewing) what was always sufficient for me. The macro capability is also sufficient. My last 3 Canon point & shoot cameras broke down quiet fast. The FX550 gives me the impression that it will last. The FX550 is still available for small money. I simply can recommend it if you are not a participant in the megapixel race.

Kick Out The Jams
Kick Out The Jams
Price: 7.62

5.0 out of 5 stars High Energy, 15 Jan 2011
This review is from: Kick Out The Jams (Audio CD)
If there would be an award for an high energy Rock assault - this CD is the favourite for rank 1. Besides the first two Stooges records Kick Out The Jams defines the whole initial spectrum of Punk, Garage Rock, Psychedelic Rock and Hard Rock. This is a 40 minutes Rock & Roll explosion which defined already the end of Rock music because no other band was able during the following 40 years to top that level of anarchy, noise, raw power and spontaneity. Next to Hawkwind's Space Ritual this CD is for me the best live Rock recording of all time. The magic of that era won't come back and bands of today simply can't reproduce this kind of music. It is a lost art. The funny thing is that after more than 40 years Kick Out The Jams sounds amazingly fresh and modern. Starship is my favourite track - a weird piece of Psychedelic Punk Rock - still impressive with its ecstatic raw power, nuclear energy and mind-floating calm sections. If Heavy Rock is for you - this record is a must to buy and needs to be played as loud as you can manage it. I still have only the vinyl so I can't say anything about the sound quality of this CD. But the vinyl is great. Aggressive but clear. Loud but differentiated. Distorted by not painful. Noisy but music. An amazing wall of sound.

Doremi Fasol Latido
Doremi Fasol Latido
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Music for the 5th dimension, 15 Jan 2011
This review is from: Doremi Fasol Latido (Audio CD)
I am a true music lover and I went through many different phases, metamorphoses and styles in my life. I am very much in DJ-ing (progressive house) and clubbing and I don't listen longer Rock. But if there was one piece of Rock music what was standing out all the time (now since 38 years) then DoReMi from Hawkwind. I listened this CD since 1972 several thousand times and it passed the test of time. This sonic attack still sounds so fresh (not from my old vinyl but from this CD) and modern (naturally for Rock lovers only). DoReMi is the ultimate statement of raw, psychedelic and energetic Space Rock. I have no clue how they did it at that time. It can't be better today. With Lemmy on board the spaceship Hawkwind dived into the 5th dimension - tran(s)cendental - phantasmagorical - supernatural - celestial - simply perfect. After this CD and the Space Ritual was nothing left to do for the best Hawkwind line-up of all time. A phantastic musical snapshot of a great era of British Rock. For me clearly the greatest CD of the last millenium.