Profile for Harald > Reviews

Content by Harald

Harald

Page: 1 | 2
Lenovo Ideapad 100-15IBY 15.6 inch Notebook (Intel Celeron N2840, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, DVDRW, WLAN, Camera, Integrated Graphics, Windows 10 Home) - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Team, 27 May 2016
INTRODUCTION:
I gave my wife 2 years ago an old Acer notebook which did fine for her web surfing and Youtube, Facebook, Skype user pattern. Recently I ordered her a set of Bluetooth phones which did not sync. Then I saw the GBP 199 notebook offer and thought that this is the right opportunity to buy here a new computer. I ordered the Ideapad-100 two days ago and it arrived today (after a 3.500 km long journey). 5 stars for Amazon's quick delivery. The package contains the notebook, the power supply and two sheets of paper - that's it.

THE DEVICE:
The Ideapad-100 is plasticky but not looking too cheap. The case material is textured what prevents fingerprints - nice. To my astonishment the keyboard is really great, sturdy and with a good keyboard layout. The touchpad is small but has separate "mouse" buttons. Everything fits well and looks solid. The screen is bright enough but glossy. The CD/DVD drive is fast and silent. The hard-drive is quiet and since I chose the Celeron variant (with intention) there is not much heat and therefore no fan noise. 5 stars for the device so far.

FIRST START:
I started the notebook, registered Windows and played around a bit with Win 10. I came quickly to the conclusion that this was a lost case. The notebook was slow, the OS feels bloated, reacts sluggish and it would have taken a full day of configuration and (de-)installation work to clean up and prepare Windows for a reasonable system response (so far even possible with Win 10). 0 stars for the Windows setup.

RESURRECTION:
Since I have no time for fixing and maintaining a poorly designed OS I downloaded Ubuntu MATE 16.04 (Linux) and burned a DVD with the OS image. For booting from the DVD drive the so called "Nova" switch needs to get activated (read the paper sheet with the explanation of the buttons). First I tried Ubuntu MATE from DVD. After a few minutes of testing I got the impression that all basics would work and started the installation. I did not bother to install Ubuntu next to Windows (to keep Windows on the hard-drive in a dual-boot setup) - there was no point for me to preserve such a crappy OS. So I let the installation program wipe Windows from the hard-drive. The installation process asks for an UEFI password creation and then the normal 1 minute Ubuntu installation setup started. The wireless connection worked flawlessly what allows the installation program to update several system files already during installation. I entered the basic installation information (user name, password etc.) and then the installation process started. 30 minutes later everything was installed on disk and the notebook could be rebooted. Long story short: Everything worked out of the box. Wireless, Bluetooth, Audio, Webcam, Touchpad - all the often critical things were working perfectly. The notebook was feeling now like a completely different device. Booting is blazing fast, no delays, no sluggish system response, everything works fluid. Although the battery is small (24 watt hours) Ubuntu indicates 4.5 hours run-time on battery. That is sufficient for my wife. Verdict: 5 stars for Ubuntu and the notebook performance.

FINISHING TOUCH:
Ubuntu has already ALL software on board which my wife needs. Only Skype needed to get added. On skype.com I downloaded the Ubuntu 12.04 version and installed the .deb file with a double-click. Skype installed flawlessly and the call test showed that audio and video were working straight away.
My wife loves the simplicity and logical structure of Ubuntu.

Mission accomplished :-)

So with accumulated one hour work I installed the notebook for my wife and she has now a fast and reliable system with tons of free software and she must never be afraid of viruses, trojans and other malware. No hassle with anti-virus software and other Windows crap-ware.
Updates are done automatically by Ubuntu on a daily schedule. The LTS release has a free update service until year 2021.

VERDICT:
Many reviews are reporting problems with the Ideapad-100. I understand that when Windows is used. For me the culprit seems to be the insane operating system from Redmond (Win 10). With Ubuntu MATE 16.04 the Ideapad really shines. I never had such an easy Linux installation where everything worked immediately out of the box.
For GBP 199 you can get a great notebook so far you are willing to ditch Windows 10 and switch to Ubuntu MATE. Ubuntu has already all software "on-board" which most users of such a bargain notebook want to use. If there is something missing, simply install Synaptic (Google for it) and you get access to 30,000 free software products.

The Lenovo Ideapad-100 and open source software are clearly a winning team. Highly recommended :-)

Icy Box IB-AC643 Internal Mounting Frame for 2x 2.5 inch SSD/HDD to 3.5 inch Bay

Does what I expected.

CTM Unisex Cotton Web 1 1/2 Inch Adjustable Striped Belt, Khaki
CTM Unisex Cotton Web 1 1/2 Inch Adjustable Striped Belt, Khaki

5.0 out of 5 stars But was easy to shorten, 2 April 2016
Too long for me. But was easy to shorten. Look and material are good.

Blue Spot 6pc Mini File Set with Pouch
Blue Spot 6pc Mini File Set with Pouch

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 April 2016
Perfect product for the small price.

Really Useful Filing Box Plastic with 10 suspension files A4 19 Litre W290xD255xH395mm Ref 19C&10susp
Offered by Choice Stationery Supplies Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 April 2016
Good product. Looks solid and everything fits well.

Toshiba PA4292E-1HL0 2TB DT Series SATA 6GB/s 3.5 Inch Desktop Internal Hard Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars I think it is a Hitachi built drive - and that is good. I got tired of Seagate and Western Digital, 2 April 2016
Works fast and silent. I bought it for its solidity. I think it is a Hitachi built drive - and that is good. I got tired of Seagate and Western Digital. Those drives already died quickly. My Hitachi drives (and also my old Samsung drives) never let me down.

iPhone 4S Case, ULAK Apple iPhone4/4S Case Silver Luxury Chrome Hybrid Hard Case Cover With PC Bumper for iPhone 4S (Brushed/Silver)
Offered by Pandamimi--The Great ULAK Case Company

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 April 2016
Great product. Very solid. Fits perfectly.

Car Mount, Vena AIR55 [One Hand][Air Vent] Universal Car Mount Holder for iPhone SE 6S 6 Plus 5, Galaxy S7 S6 Edge S5, LG G5 G4 Smartphones (3.5"- 6.3" inch)
Offered by theWireless USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 April 2016
Great product. Easy to install. Works perfectly.

De Buyer 5610.32 Mineral B Element Round Frying Pan, 32 cm Diameter
De Buyer 5610.32 Mineral B Element Round Frying Pan, 32 cm Diameter

5.0 out of 5 stars Built for a life-time, 2 April 2016
Solid product which helped me to replace the toxic Teflon pans. After a careful seasoning the pan produces great results (e.g. baked potatoes are a dream). Nothing sticks. Although the pan has a thick bottom it heats up very fast. I did not expect that. The only disadvantage is the weight. I can't turn the pan with one hand to move its content to a plate. But that is the price to pay for its solidity.

Wahl Adjustable Mains Hair Clipper Kit Silver / Black 79305-1017
Wahl Adjustable Mains Hair Clipper Kit Silver / Black 79305-1017

5.0 out of 5 stars I got tired to waste time going to a hair dresser, 2 April 2016
I got tired to waste time going to a hair dresser. Using the Wahl hair clipper is easy - cutting my hair by myself works well and requires only a few minutes time. The shape of the attachments is quite forgiving regarding the angle the clipper is hold (while cutting). The result is fine. The device looks and feels robust and the small bag is a nice plus to store the clipper with the accessories.

Page: 1 | 2