Profile for S1ark > Reviews

Content by S1ark

S1ark

Glasslands (Halo (Tor Hardcover))
Glasslands (Halo (Tor Hardcover))
by Karen Traviss

1.0 out of 5 stars Such a disappointment, 3 Mar. 2012
I have been a Halo fan for over 10 years now. There is not a game I have not played or a piece of literature I have not read. Whilst everything previously associated with Halo has been superb this is ghastly in comparison. This book has taken everything we loved from Halo and ruined it spectacularly. From the fantastic characters established by Nylund to the gripping storyline's we have all enjoyed reading. This book has ruined it all. My main gripe is what Traviss has done to the characters in specific Halsey. It is almost as if Traviss had never read any of the other Halo canon... Oh wait she has not as she herself stated. In addition she also said that she loves to focus on characterisation. How it relates to this book is highlighted in an interview which Traviss stated "Then I rebuilt the characters using psychological profiling techniques." She then when on to say "The result is that you'll see characters you think you know portrayed differently, perhaps too differently for some fans' tastes". This is the crux of the issues. The characters have changed too much that you can no longer relate them to previous books. Therefore this book would be better to stand on it's own rather than link with Nylund's classics. Whilst this characterisation may work well with other novels she has written such as Gears of War, she can't come into the Halo universe after 10 years and start changing everything the fans have come to know and love. Herein however lies the issue. Was Traviss directed to write this book in a particular way, in which case the blame would lie with 343? Or has she just decided to write these books with her particular style?

I apologise now that it seems i'm having a go at the author but after waiting such a long time to find out what happens after Halo 3, this was a massive disappointment. However if like me you enjoy the Halo universe then regardless of this you will buy the book as I did after reading many negative reviews. Subsequently since this is a series of 3 books I will probably buy the next two. While this doesn't necessary mean I will enjoy them they are, at the end of the day, part of the Halo universe and one of which I have come to love which is why this book let me down so much.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2012 10:06 AM BST