Profile for DNP > Reviews

Cocktail Audio X10 with 1 TB HDD
Cocktail Audio X10 with 1 TB HDD
Offered by AV10

5.0 out of 5 stars A great device that does what it claims, 22 Aug. 2012
I was very unsure what to expect of the audio quality of the X10 as as someone with over GBP 2,500 of audio equipment this is important to me. I ripped all the CD's in a loss less format and this took surprisingly little time (less than five minutes per CD) though I would not want to rip high quality mp3's which take 1.5 times the length of what is being recorded to digitise. The sound quality is amazingly good. It is completely unlike my CD player which produces warmer tones as the reproduction of the X10 is crystal sharp and provides fabulous clarity to any vocals. To begin with I must confess I preferred the warmer tones of my CD player but I have now changed my mind and actually prefer the X10. I am not sure how it sounds using its internal amp and seperate speakers but put through another amplifier it works well.

What don`t I like? Simply put you have to do pretty much everything via the remote control. There are half a dozen controls on top of the unit but oddly these will not even allow you to eject a CD. Whatever you do don't lose the remote as you will be completely stuck without it.

One other minor grip is that the search function defaults to an album listing which is pretty hopeless when you have hundreds of albums loaded into it. You can switch to artist listings but it then immediately defaults back to album listing afterwards.

All in all very happy with it, would recommend it to anyone looking for compact versatility, and I prefer it to the Brennan (which is also more expensive).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 19, 2013 11:00 PM BST