Profile for rivadireno > Reviews

Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Someone Who's Been There
Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Someone Who's Been There
by Cheryl Strayed

5.0 out of 5 stars A voice you need in your life, 31 July 2013
I bought this book on an impulse, after reading about Cheryl Strayed, and I'm so pleased I did. Her voice is so warm, and so real, and her words feel both fresh and wise. The letter from a 'Living Dead Dad' and her response may genuinely be one of the most moving things I've ever read. I never really anticipated buying a book of advice columns, but as you read on, Sugar becomes a character in her own right, sharing more about herself as she untangles a series of very human predicaments. I'm sure you'll find something you'll relate to in some of the letters here. As soon as I finished the book I went and bought Wild, another book by Cheryl Strayed. You'll be sad when you finish it - you feel the need to hear her voice again.

The Price of Freedom
The Price of Freedom
by Andy Skeen

5.0 out of 5 stars What would happen if Scotland broke away from the UK?, 31 July 2013
This review is from: The Price of Freedom (Paperback)
If you've ever wondered what it would look like if Scotland broke away from England, this is the book for you. It draws a compelling picture of the UK on the brink of civil war, exploring the rumbling political machinations on both sides. The author's obvious military knowledge lends the novel a real plausibility. Highly recommended for English and Scottish readers alike! Warning: may give rise to a hankering for whiskey and haggis...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2014 7:31 PM GMT

The Sportswriter
The Sportswriter
by Richard Ford

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeously sad, 14 April 2010
This review is from: The Sportswriter (Paperback)
This is a gorgeously sad, introspective and melancholic novel, and I absolutely loved it. Richard Ford is such a brilliant and sincere writer. It takes you to a very honest place and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

When We Were Bad: A Novel
When We Were Bad: A Novel
by Charlotte Mendelson

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant story and fantastic characters, 11 May 2008
I'd never read anything by Charlotte Mendelson before, but I picked When We Were Bad up after seeing it was shortlisted for the Orange Prize. It's a brilliant story about a family beginning to unravel; each character being in the grip of a secret crisis. Mendelson's characters are fantastic - so layered and real it's hard to believe they don't actually exist! It's a hilariously witty and warm book, but most of all, it's incredibly honest - about the secret motivations that lead people to do things that may get them in trouble. I couldn't put it down, and read the whole thing in one weekend. I definitely recommend it!

Hotel World
Hotel World
by Ali Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant..., 11 May 2008
This review is from: Hotel World (Paperback)
I loved Hotel World; it's a truly brilliant book that made me feel lucky to be alive. Ali Smith has a writing style that's beautiful, original, but most strikingly, incredibly warm, and full of hope. Buy this book!