Profile for Melanie Bagshaw > Reviews

Content by Melanie Bagshaw

Melanie Bagshaw (UK)

More Winning Recipes from Our Members and Leaders: Over 60 Recipes Low in Points (Weight Watchers)
by Becky Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Making weight loss easy!, 15 Feb 2010
I love this book! All too often my diets have fizzled out through eating nothing but vegetables and salad which, with even the best will in the world, are boring and I soon get fed up of eating.
Filled with some wonderful recipes that are delicious and yet low fat. The tagliatelle is an absolute favourite, so good non-dieting friends have made it and my other half loves it. My mum purchased the book after seeing the choice of recipes inside. All I've tried so far have been easy to make and absolutely scrumptious. You really don't feel like you are dieting when eating these sorts of meals.
I have a wide selection of Weight Watchers cook books and this is by far one of the best. It is an A4 sized book aswell, not one of the 5inch square ones, so good value for money. The strawberry cheesecake will be my next adventure. Definitely a major contribution to my current weight loss success.

Cloverfield [DVD]
Cloverfield [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lizzy Caplan
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars 1 hour and 10 minutes I will never get back!, 15 Jun 2008
This review is from: Cloverfield [DVD] (DVD)
Being a big fan of scary movies I had high expectations following the adverts for this film - I was completelty disappointed.

The first 35 minutes of the film is nothing more than footage of a party for one of the main characters emigrating. Then the monster arrives (please note this film is only 1 hour and 10 minutes long so nearly half of it is gone before the monster makes an appearance).

The film is shot in a Blair Witch handheld camera method and this is ok, but be aware it is a bit all over the place so sit well back from the screen.

There is one bit of the film that warranted it receiving 1 star and this is the effect of a bite from the monster, but this could have been done more effectively for the viewer.

Generally I felt this film was lacking a lot really, there is no attempt to explain how the creature came about, the end left me feeling that it was unfinished and that there hadn't really been a story.

This film is probably scary if you are primary school age, but for anyone over the age of 12 Teletubbies is probably more effective at spooking.

The film is a complete waste of money and had I known I wouldn't have bothered buying it. If you can wait until it comes on TV you will then see that everyone giving it 1 star have been very generous (mainly because you can't give 0 stars) but those giving it 2, 3, 4 or 5 stars must have watched something different to me.

I can generally find something good to say about most films, but not this one. It is garbage.

No More Homework, No More Tests
No More Homework, No More Tests
by Bruce Lansky

3.0 out of 5 stars Too American for young children., 6 Aug 2007
This book has some excellent poems in - especially ones revolving around excuses for homework being late.
The biggest and most significant downfall with this book is that the language is American - recess, cootie-head, pacifier - and so the humour of the poem is lost on children because of explaining what the different words mean.
I bought this book because I can remember a poem from school
'No more homework, no more tests, no more sitting behind those desks' - I thought this poem would appear in this book and sadly it does not.
Overall an ok book but there are much better poetry books out there!

Revolting Rhymes (Picture Puffins)
Revolting Rhymes (Picture Puffins)
by Roald Dahl

5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing, Amusing, Amusing!, 6 Aug 2007
This is an excellent poetry book by one of the best children's writers of all time.
Never aging or boring Road Dahl brings a new light to those fairytales we all know and love.

By far the best is Little Red Riding Hood and the Wolf . . .
'The small girl smiles. One eyelid flickers.
She whips a pistol from her knickers.
She aims it at the creatures's head
And bang bang bang, she shoots him dead.'

Admittedly not for really young readers because there is the killing of the wolf and 'sl*t' is mentioned in cinderella, but I read this book at primary school when I was 8 or 9 and I was so fond bought my own copy as an adult and still love it just as much today.

Pop Up 3D Cards
Pop Up 3D Cards
by Emma Angel

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Straight Forward & Inspiring!, 22 Jan 2006
This review is from: Pop Up 3D Cards (Paperback)
This book is great! It's filled with basic ideas which you can create or adapt to suit the receiver. It's bright colours, more modern than other books on the market and covers a variety of occasions. Templates are available in the back. A great book which I would recommend to anyone who wanted something a bit different!