Profile for G. E. Hearn > Reviews

Content by G. E. Hearn

G. E. Hearn "grahamh1965" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Decrescent 2 in 1 Universal Stylus & Writing Pen with High Quality Silicone Tip for Capacitive Touch Screen Devices and Tablets including Apple iPad 2, 3, 4, Air & Mini 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Tab2 & Note 10.1, BlackBerry Playbook, Google Nexus 7 & 10 and more - White
Offered by Decrescent

5.0 out of 5 stars Great! Highly commended., 11 Oct 2014
Great product. Combine it with a Parker Gel refill (It's the same fit as the Parker Jotter's refill) and you'll have something that writes as well as it styluses! Well made, durable non-yellowing white finish and very durable but soft stylus point.

Kent Q6100 Extra Large Microfibre Drying Towel
Kent Q6100 Extra Large Microfibre Drying Towel
Offered by OneStopTradeShop

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have!, 11 Oct 2014
Unbelievably good. I can wash and dry (streak free) my Mazda MX-5 in 15 minutes start to finish using this.
I've always been a big fan of a large genuine chamois, but this beats it hands down. Try one. You'll be amazed. I was.

TECHGEAR® - OTG USB Adapter Cable for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100 & P3110 - On The Go 30 Pin to Female USB Adapter
Offered by TECHGEAR Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful!, 11 Oct 2014
Wonderful! I can now use a full sized keyboard with my Galaxy Tab 2. And watch media direct from a USB memory stick. Probably one of the most useful things I've bought this year. Highly commended.

Samsung Notebook Cover for 7 inch Galaxy Tab 2 - White
Samsung Notebook Cover for 7 inch Galaxy Tab 2 - White
Offered by Shine Maz

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fit (As you'd expect from the tablet's manufacturer), 11 Oct 2014
Great fit (As you'd expect from the tablet's manufacturer). Grossly overpriced when first released, but now that the Tab 2 is history these can be picked up for a bargain price.
A particularly nice touch is the magnetic strip inside the lid which latches onto the case back and makes a great viewing stand at just the right angle for watching movies or the TV apps.
I've since bought two more to keep as spares. A bargain. Get at least one while you still can!

Cross Ballpoint Pen Refill, Fine Blue, 2 per card, (8512-2)
Cross Ballpoint Pen Refill, Fine Blue, 2 per card, (8512-2)
Offered by C-GEAR

5.0 out of 5 stars Original is usually the best., 11 Oct 2014
Great! The old refills lasted for years on end, so I have no hesitation in buying the genuine article again to replace them.

Monteverde Fine Point Capless Gel Refill for Parker Ballpoint Pens - Blue (Pack of 2)
Offered by Pilotfish Pens

4.0 out of 5 stars Please read!! Trouble writing? It caught me out too., 11 Oct 2014
Not quite as good a fit as the genuine Parker, in so far as sometimes it doesn't retract properly, but writes well enough. I've since transferred these into a couple of "Decrescent" touchscreen stylus / ball-point pens that I have where they work fine as there's no facility to retract them (The cap clicks on and houses the rubber stylus point).
I've now ordered genuine Parker gel refills for the retractable pens, even though I really wanted a fine point in blue, which Parker seem not to manufacture.

One thing to be aware of, and it caught me out too:

These refills are sealed from the factory with a tiny, tiny blob of some sort of plastic over the end. Pull off the protective plastic tube and fit to your pen as you would a Parker, and you'll find it writes terribly. Hold a piece of tissue in your thumb and forefinger and pull off the tiny white end, and you'll find a normal looking stainless point. Try writing with it again - Perfect!

I honestly think that this oversight may have led to the huge number of unfavourable reviews that this product has unfortunately garnered. Although the casing may be a little sticky in terms of retracting, as far as actual writing goes, it can't be faulted.

FiiO E06 Portable Headphone Amplifier
FiiO E06 Portable Headphone Amplifier

4.0 out of 5 stars A very worthwhile improvement for personal audio., 29 Dec 2013
Well, I'm writing this review a little by accident really.
I ordered an E05 (With the metal case) However, Amazon sent me one of these, with a paper label stuck on the box that read "E05" when it's clearly an 06.
Anyway, overcoming my initial temptation to return it, I figured I may as well at least give it a try.

First impressions are not exactly favourable. The plastic body and ill-fitting sliding switches impart an air of general cheapness. It looks like something that's fallen out of a Christmas cracker. Hard, shiny plastic with rough edges where both halves of the body meet indicate that no-one's even thought of de-burring the mouldings. Okay, it's only twenty quid, but even so. Not looking good so far...

Upon plugging it in, however, it redeems itself in no uncertain terms.
My hearing is not terribly good thanks to a past that featured lots of motorbikes, concerts and electric guitars. On most MP3 players I have to crank the things up as loud as they'll go just to get a reasonable listening volume. The trouble with this of course is that it then runs into huge distortion, so I have to back off and get as loud as I can without too much loss of sound quality.

A decent pair of earbuds help here. I've been using the outstandingly good Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones - Black for years. So much so that I "Bulk buy" three pairs or so whenever the price drops below a tenner. When I kill a pair, I bin them, then take a new set out of the drawer and carry on.
(Tip of the day: Only buy EP630's that are "Sold by Amazon". There are so many Amazon Partners out there selling fakes).

This device won't turn your player into some sort of output monster, but what it does do is to provide a very worthwhile jump in available grunt. Consequently, you need a far lower volume setting on your player, with the resultant improvement in sound quality that this brings.
Well, technically it's not an improvement, is it? It's just a lack of degradation caused by excessively working the inbuilt amp. If you run at a lower power setting then you don't have so much compression and distortion.
Turn the player down a bit, crank the E06 up and you will notice an enormous improvement in the quality of your music. As I write this I'm listening to Propaganda's "P-Machinery (Beta mix)" from here: Noise And Girls Come Out To Play:A Compact Introduction To Propaganda and I can hear elements of the track that I have never heard before on a portable player. Things like Claudia Brucken breathing between singing lines, for instance. Amazing.

What using this device has taught me is that the Creative EP630's (And, by extension, most likely many other earbuds) can handle far higher volumes than most personal MP3 players can produce. My feeling is that I've wrecked several pairs simply by under-driving them into distortion and forcing them to handle square-wave signals.
I honestly believe that a headphone amplifier such as this (or any similar model) and a decent set of earbuds is probably the biggest improvement you can make to the sound of your MP3 player.

So yes, after an unfavourable start, I'm pleased I bought it. Would I buy another if this one was lost? Quite possibly. I've no complaints with how it works or the outstanding audible results, but I would most likely be tempted to find a model from higher up the range with a bit more metal in the construction. But that's just my personal feeling.

If you want something that just does the job that it was designed for very well, if you're not bothered about the plastic casing and if you don't want to invest a larger outlay then yes, I'd recommend this unreservedly.

PERSOL - PERSOL PO3020S 24/31/57
PERSOL - PERSOL PO3020S 24/31/57
Offered by sunglasses4us

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic. You can't go wrong., 16 Nov 2013
If you've never owned a pair of Persols before, you're in for a treat.

Nothing is as well made or as comfortable. For the same price as some silly Tupperware shades with an "O" on the frame (No names, no pack drill!) you can own a design classic.
I've always been a RayBan man since the 80's but these days there are so many clowns wearing fakes that I've decided to put away my many pairs of various Wayfarers and break out the Persols again.

I have several pairs going back many years, but I thought I would treat myself to the 3020s this time (The last pair I bought were the "James Bond" edition 2720S back in around 2006).
The 3020 is a little different. It has the general vibe of the original RayBan Wayfarer, but built to a superior standard and with the trademark Broad Arrow hinge on the frame and the "Meflecto" system on the arms which means that they mould to the contours of your head.

Having some "Wayfarers" made by Persol (Like these frames) is a little like having Aston Martin make you a mountain bike, or having Raymond Blanc make you cheese on toast. You're getting a design classic shape, but made by the World's best.
Persols have been worn by everyone from Presidents, through several James Bonds, Pierce Brosnan in various other roles, Steve McQueen to Jack Nicholson and Don Johnson amongst many, many others.
They're not instantly recognizable as a "Look At Me!!!" brand, like some. But amongst those that know, they are the best. If you don't need logos but you like subtle displays of ultimate quality, then these are for you.

Plus, if you look after these, you can sell them in ten or twenty years for damn near what you paid for them if not more. Just search some auction sites for "Vintage Persol" if you need evidence to justify your purchases to the missus with a little "Man Maths"

My biggest regret is that I didn't buy the 1988 Persol 69218 (As worn in "Miami Vice" by both Sonny Crockett and Bianca Jagger) when I had the chance. They sell for the very high hundreds up into four figures now. I kid you not.

If you've read this far, do yourself a favour and just buy them! You know you want to, and you won't ever find better than Persol.

IMPORTANT: Note that Persol models come in different sizes. In this case, the 54mm is for people with smaller faces and if you have a large head (like me) then you need the 57mm variety. See? Shades tailor made to fit your own head size. How cool is that?
Comment |
Looking for voting buttons? Sorry, we don't let customers vote on their own reviews.

Persol Men's 3020 Tortoise Frame/Grey / Green Lens Plastic Sunglasses, 57mm
Persol Men's 3020 Tortoise Frame/Grey / Green Lens Plastic Sunglasses, 57mm
Offered by United Shades

5.0 out of 5 stars Persol - The finest you can buy., 16 Nov 2013
If you've never owned a pair of Persols before, you're in for a treat.

Prometheus (Blu-ray + Digital Copy) [Region Free]
Prometheus (Blu-ray + Digital Copy) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Noomi Rapace

1.0 out of 5 stars Mings Mercilessly, 25 Oct 2012
Save your money.
It was a disappointment at the cinema on the big screen in 3D. Why would you want to pay to be able to remind yourself, in the comfort of your own home, how badly it sucked donkey balls?

I can't even be bothered to write any more. It's been said before by reviewers far more eloquent than I.

Think "Scooby Doo In Space" and you won't be far off the mark. I half expected Noomi Rapace at the end to peel off the rubber mask of the Engineer and say "Why! It's old Mr Johnson from the amusement arcade!"
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 14, 2012 11:47 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6