Profile for G. E. Hearn > Reviews

Content by G. E. Hearn

G. E. Hearn (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
MaximalPower Rechargeable Replacement Li-ion Battery for Fuji/Fujifilm FinePix/Real 3D W1 Cameras

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the original in use., 9 April 2015
I cannot tell the difference in use between the genuine Fuji battery and this one. I can think of no higher compliment than that for a third party manufacturer. Well done Maximal Power. Delighted.

First2savvv BDV1701 cavans DSLR SLR camera case bag for FUJIFILM X-Pro1 X-E1 X100S X100 X20 X10 X-A1 X-E2
Offered by FIRST2SAVVV

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain! Got an X100S/T and want something a bit different to carry it in? Buy this., 9 April 2015
Better than it has any right to be for the price. Heavy canvas construction with a sand-coloured soft nylon lining and padding behind. The inner compartment is secured by a zip and then the flap goes over the top. There is an open-topped front pocket and a small pocket in the lining for memory cards.
This is the perfect case in which to carry my Fujifilm X100S. It fits perfectly into the main compartment end-on, even with the lens hood fitted.
The front pocket neatly holds my three spare batteries (A vital accompaniment to a day out with an X100S, as any owner will tell you!) It will hold six batteries easily, for those extremely serious shooters or those really paranoid about battery life.
The canvas construction and sand colour make a rare and welcome change from the ubiquitous black cordura of every other camera bag under the sun.
Most of my clothes are primarily jeans, chinos, suede boots and some countrywear, and this bag blends in so well with this sort of attire that people don't even notice that you're carrying a camera. If you spend most of your photography time at country shows and such then this is the bag for you.
They could make one of these with the leather "Digital" badge replaced with a "Barbour" one, line it with check nylon and people would pay seventy quid plus for it, it's that good.

I was all set not to like this, but I thought I'd take a punt as it was cheap. In the event, it's every bit the equal of my Tamrac camera bags, assuming you can live with the velcro flap closure.
I don't like the noise of velcro, but this is better to use than my Tamrac one with its weird and easily "cross-threaded" strap fastener.
Being canvas, including the strap, it should also wear in over time and acquire that nice vintage patina that will make it even less conspicuous and noticeable to thieves.

Neewer Black Lens Hood And Adapter Ring Perfect For Fujifilm Finepix X100
Neewer Black Lens Hood And Adapter Ring Perfect For Fujifilm Finepix X100

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely good for the price. Even at twice the price!, 9 April 2015
Very good. When you think of the extortionate amount that Fuji charge for the genuine article, this is an absolute bargain. Well made, secure and solid.
The finish is properly matt, rather than satin, so it's not such an exact match to the X100S as the original, but for the money, who cares? Mine still looks like new, so whatever finish they've used (anodizing?) is pretty durable.
The hood fits on securely, even if there is a tiny bit of detectable slack if you wiggle it around.
It won't rattle or come loose under any sort of provocation, but you can feel that the bore in the hood is very, very slightly larger than the outside diameter of the collar onto which it bayonets because you can move it very slightly side-to-side.
I'm very fussy about fit and finish but I can honestly say that it doesn't bother me in the least and I don't even notice it in use.But again, if you want engineering perfection then I'm sure Fuji will be more than happy to sell you one of theirs!

I'm very pleased with mine. If it got lost I'd definitely buy another without a second thought.

Parker Gel Ball Refill Twin Pack Medium Blue
Parker Gel Ball Refill Twin Pack Medium Blue
Offered by K Direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Good while they last - but that isn't very long., 8 Nov. 2014
Very good - while they last! Writes beautifully, feels like a fountain pen to use.
Only trouble is, one refill lasts maybe 4 to 6 weeks of daily use, while I get double that out of an ordinary Parker refill. I thought that I may have bought a defective batch, but having spoken to a relative who uses them, he reports the same lifespan.

If they were as cheap as the regular refill then I could understand it, but they're not. I shan't be buying any more personally, even though they are lovely to write with.

Not recommended in all honesty. I'm still using a Monteverde gel refill which feels the same to use, but has outlasted the Parker and is still going strong.

Decrescent 2 in 1 Universal Stylus & Writing Pen with High Quality Silicone Tip for Capacitive Touch Screen Devices and Tablets including Apple iPad 2, 3, 4, Air & Mini 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Tab2 & Note 10.1, BlackBerry Playbook, Google Nexus 7 & 10 and more - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Great! Highly commended., 11 Oct. 2014
Great product. Combine it with a Parker Gel refill (It's the same fit as the Parker Jotter's refill) and you'll have something that writes as well as it styluses! Well made, durable non-yellowing white finish and very durable but soft stylus point.

Kent Q6100 Extra Large Microfibre Drying Towel
Kent Q6100 Extra Large Microfibre Drying Towel

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have!, 11 Oct. 2014
Unbelievably good. I can wash and dry (streak free) my Mazda MX-5 in 15 minutes start to finish using this.
I've always been a big fan of a large genuine chamois, but this beats it hands down. Try one. You'll be amazed. I was.

TECHGEAR® - OTG USB Adapter Cable for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100 & P3110 - On The Go 30 Pin to Female USB Adapter
Offered by TECHGEAR Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful!, 11 Oct. 2014
Wonderful! I can now use a full sized keyboard with my Galaxy Tab 2. And watch media direct from a USB memory stick. Probably one of the most useful things I've bought this year. Highly commended.

Samsung Notebook Cover for 7 inch Galaxy Tab 2 - White
Samsung Notebook Cover for 7 inch Galaxy Tab 2 - White
Offered by Handyparadise UK (Tax included)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fit (As you'd expect from the tablet's manufacturer), 11 Oct. 2014
Great fit (As you'd expect from the tablet's manufacturer). Grossly overpriced when first released, but now that the Tab 2 is history these can be picked up for a bargain price.
A particularly nice touch is the magnetic strip inside the lid which latches onto the case back and makes a great viewing stand at just the right angle for watching movies or the TV apps.
I've since bought two more to keep as spares. A bargain. Get at least one while you still can!

Cross Ballpoint Pen Refill, Fine Blue, 2 per card, (8512-2)
Cross Ballpoint Pen Refill, Fine Blue, 2 per card, (8512-2)
Offered by Europens

5.0 out of 5 stars Original is usually the best., 11 Oct. 2014
Great! The old refills lasted for years on end, so I have no hesitation in buying the genuine article again to replace them.

Monteverde Fine Point Capless Gel Refill for Parker Ballpoint Pens - Blue (Pack of 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Please read!! Trouble writing? It caught me out too., 11 Oct. 2014
Not quite as good a fit as the genuine Parker, in so far as sometimes it doesn't retract properly, but writes well enough. I've since transferred these into a couple of "Decrescent" touchscreen stylus / ball-point pens that I have where they work fine as there's no facility to retract them (The cap clicks on and houses the rubber stylus point).
I've now ordered genuine Parker gel refills for the retractable pens, even though I really wanted a fine point in blue, which Parker seem not to manufacture.

One thing to be aware of, and it caught me out too:

These refills are sealed from the factory with a tiny, tiny blob of some sort of plastic over the end. Pull off the protective plastic tube and fit to your pen as you would a Parker, and you'll find it writes terribly, with skipping and blobbing all over the place. Hold a piece of tissue in your thumb and forefinger however and pull off the tiny white end, and you'll find a normal looking stainless point. Try writing with it again - Perfect!

I honestly think that this oversight may have led to the huge number of unfavourable reviews that this product has unfortunately garnered. Although the casing may be a little sticky in terms of retracting, as far as actual writing goes, it can't be faulted.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7