Profile for boudicca > Reviews

boudicca

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Immortal Diamond: The search for our true self
Immortal Diamond: The search for our true self

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, thought provoking and life affirming book, 27 Aug 2014
Richard Rohr was recommended to me by my spiritual advisor and I came to this book through his Daily Meditation email. I found it a slow start because he talks about the True Self and the False Self, concepts which were new to me but I became drawn in by his amazing way of putting things and his clearly eyed love of people and lack of bigotry.

I found I read it in sections, taking time to write about what had struck me in my journal. There were so many resonances and insights that I recommended the book to friends who also loved it. I think it probably has resonances for people in the second half of life when the old black and white certainties no longer satisfy. Rohr talks about the importance of being able to tolerate dualities and conflicts, without needing to explain them or entirely resolve or understand them. His God is one of utter grace and love who relates to us through our fallibility and the mistakes we make, not in spite of them.

I am looking forward to reading his book about the second half of life next.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I would have liked some more practical guidance on how to move from the false to the true self.

Daisy Dalrymple Omnibus (Books 1-4)
Daisy Dalrymple Omnibus (Books 1-4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great holiday reading, 12 July 2014
Loved these books. Great if slightly formulaic stories with a likeable hero and heroine. Not great literature but an excellent series of light books to while away some time.

The Telling
The Telling

2.0 out of 5 stars The two stories are pretty depressing - modern woman struggling with grief and basic ..., 12 July 2014
This review is from: The Telling (Kindle Edition)
I've attempted to read this book several times. It is incredibly slow with acres of descriptive passages that I resorted to skipping. The two stories are pretty depressing - modern woman struggling with grief and basic tasks; historic young girl struggling with oppression and bigotry. As my mother would say "It will all end in tears" - only it appears to take eons to get there.

Some of the passages are well written so I have concluded that, with a fairly ruthless editor, the author may be able to produce something good. This isn't it and I have moved on to other books.

Expressive Figure Drawing
Expressive Figure Drawing
by Bill Buchman

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fabulous, 18 May 2014
I've got any number of such books, mostly bought for ideas about alternative approaches to figure drawing. This one is highly innovative, full of new ideas and for once the text is also interesting in putting forward the intellectual and psychological aspects of how to approach the discipline. I've, bought two - one for me and one for a friend.

Highly recommended

The Mysterious Death of Miss Austen
The Mysterious Death of Miss Austen

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but a bit far fetched, 18 May 2014
This is a well written novel, based on apparent evidence that Jane Austen may have been poisoned. Without giving the plot away, it sound pretty unlikely and rather unfair to a probably innocent relative of the great novelist. Having said that, as a novel it kept my interest and I enjoyed the social context and background to the world she lived in

A Poisoned Season
A Poisoned Season

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed, 18 May 2014
This review is from: A Poisoned Season (Kindle Edition)
I've read her later ones and enjoyed them more. I'm ploughing through this one which is far too long. The story doesn't justify the endless repetitions of the thief sending the heroine missives in Greek and proving tediously elusive.

I am also increasingly infuriated by the Americanisms that would be out of place in a contemporary English novel, let alone one purporting to be set in Victorian high society. People simply wouldn't have talked about "figuring thing out", waiting until "the Fall", asking if they could "visit with" each other and worst of all calling an attendant in the British Museum a "docent"!

I'll probably finish it but only because I've got this far and want to know what happened but I am losing the will to live...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 18, 2014 4:14 PM BST

And Only to Deceive
And Only to Deceive

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these books but she needs an English editor, 14 May 2014
These books are pretty addictive. Great stories and engaging characters. They are only marred by the obvious naļveté of the presumably American author. She is writing about Victorian aristocratic characters who talk about "figuring things out", spending "the Fall" somewhere and something not happening "anytime soon". These jar and could do easily have been edited out by a competent English editor.

Otherwise, highly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2014 10:14 AM BST

The Rosie Project: Don Tillman 1
The Rosie Project: Don Tillman 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky novel, 24 Mar 2014
Unexpectedly entertaining love story. I didn't find it laugh out loud but it was clever and funny and kept my interest. Surprisingly I really warmed to the main character.

It would make a great movie. I imagine there is a bidding war raging as I write.

The Final Act of Mr Shakespeare
The Final Act of Mr Shakespeare
by Robert Winder

2.0 out of 5 stars Mr Winder needs a good editor, 15 Feb 2014
I agree that the author set itself an ambitious target and to some extent he succeeds. He has obviously done a great deal of research and he writes well, evoking the claustrophobic atmosphere of the London of James the First.

However, after a few chapters, I rather lost the will to live. Mr Shakespeare ruminates rather too often and rather too lengthily. The story moves very slowly and as someone with a strong interest in history, I objected to his playing fast and loose with historical characters and chronologies. Mr Winder would have benefitted from a good editor who could have challenged him, especially about the unnecessary verbiage.

I was disappointed as I had high hopes of enjoying this book.

The Moghul
The Moghul

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a read as a novel and an introduction to the history of the British in India., 24 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Moghul (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this book. Read it while holidaying in India. A good regard and kept my interest, while learning about the history of the original British incursions into India. Worth a read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7