Profile for Angel Jem > Reviews

Content by Angel Jem

Angel Jem "Angel Jem" (Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Philips PowerTouch PT730 DualPrecision Rechargeable Electric Shaver
Philips PowerTouch PT730 DualPrecision Rechargeable Electric Shaver
Offered by TranscosmosUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Efficient and comfortable shave, 14 Dec. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I passed this on to my husband to review. He found it a comfortable shape to hold and giving a shave comparable to the other electric shavers he has used. He found cleaning it easy and the charger gives a good few days worth of power. However, he likes the flat electric shavers with a foil head so he didn't want to keep this permanently.
Enter the son (13) but nearly 6 foot. He had begun to wear as fine a set of sideburns as a Dickens character so it was time to introduce him to the joys of shaving daily and this shaver proved perfect for that. It cuts close enough that a daily shave isn't necessary, it hasn't irritated his skin because it doesn't pull or scrape his skin and he finds the size and shape comfortable and controllable. Now if only I can get him to use after shave, my house will smell better and be less hairy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 29, 2012 2:14 PM BST

Eagle: Book One of the Saladin Trilogy
Eagle: Book One of the Saladin Trilogy
by Jack Hight

4.0 out of 5 stars A romping crusader story, 14 Dec. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I put this in a pile of books and forgot about it until a couple of weeks ago when my son ran to me waving it and saying, "This is brilliant, Mum. Do you know who it is about?"
Saladin and the crusades were an unknown book to him, not an area he had ever met or explored but he loved this book and, like good historical fiction, it started him off researching and reading as much about the crusades as he can.
It is a romping historical saga, I suppose it bears comparison to Bernard Cornwell or Conn Iggulden in style, and it is very readable. There's a degree of blood thirstiness and adult content that means I probably should have put it on a higher shelf that my 13 year old could reach, but he enjoyed it so much I think we are both looking forward to the next chapter.
And for those who want to read more about the crusades, try The Crusades for a very reasonable and entertaining read.

Journey into Space: Operation Luna
Journey into Space: Operation Luna
by Charles Chilton
Edition: Audio CD

3.0 out of 5 stars Showing its age, but still enjoyable, 14 Dec. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Journey into Space is a very old series, one of the first and greatest influences on modern sci fi. I had never heard it until I got this cd set.
It does show its age; in the subject, the way the cast talks, the sound effects and a myriad of other tiny ways you know you are listening to something that isn't 'modern' but it has a retro space charm that makes it enjoyable. If you want state of the art modern sci fi, look elsewhere. I lent this to my Mum (of the original listeners age) and she loved it. For her, it was pure nostalgia. Since my boys had listened to it and giggled in places at the aged quality,I'm guessing this is better for the proper officionado rather than a casual modern sci fi listener.

Berlitz Italian Premier Version 2 (PC/Mac)
Berlitz Italian Premier Version 2 (PC/Mac)

4.0 out of 5 stars Interactive and instructive, 14 Dec. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Berlitz is a world name in guides and language courses and this course is a good example of why. It has cds, books, internet pages and all sorts of extra ways to practise and learn the Italian language. I'm a bad learner because I never get further than the first or second lesson, but this course has me keen to learn. The exercises are useful, and the whole set looks like it will teach me enough for my (dreamed of) holiday in Italy.

Tefal Sensorielle 30 cm Non-Stick Frying Pan
Tefal Sensorielle 30 cm Non-Stick Frying Pan

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong, large and totally non-stick, 14 Dec. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At 30cm this pan is a large frying pan. It can take 16 sausages at once and comfortably cooks a breakfast for 5 with little/no oil. It has a lovely base that reminds me of a magic eye picture but which is very non-stick. I have found myself cleaning the pan simply by wiping off the excess food and wiping over with washing liquid and a cloth. No scouring, no scraping. The red dot clearly indicates when the pan is hot enough and the pan heats quickly.My only criticism is that it is 30cm wide and it does take up a wide footspace in a cupboard, but the advantages of its size outweigh the problems.

Doctor Who Serpent Crest 1: Tsar Wars
Doctor Who Serpent Crest 1: Tsar Wars
by Paul Magrs
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking listening for a who fan, 14 Dec. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My sons are Dr Who fans... at 11 and 13 they are of course fans of David Tenant and Matt Smith but I live to remind them that there were Doctors in the past who were eccentric, funny, tortured and a blooming good adventure. This audio story featuring Tom Baker's inimicable voice has brought them back to my childhood. I have to stress, this is not an audio of a story that was made for TV but an original story written for an audio version. It makes a big difference since it is written to enable 'pictures in the mind'. Cracking fun.

Fellowes Neutron A4 Paper Trimmer
Fellowes Neutron A4 Paper Trimmer

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly capable cutter, 23 Jun. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I make cards and other paper crafts, so a decent paper cutter is always a necessity. This cutter has some good points and one that could be improved;

Pro;
The cutter will cut 10 pieces of paper at once; I know because I tried it.
The flat area is usefully marked out with lines and angles to make cutting various edges easier eg you can get a 45 degree angle cut out of the edge
The cutter is quite well designed and comfortable to use. It slides across well.
The blade can be swapped for a perforated or a scorer or a wavy cut. Spare blades are stored in the end of the cutter, so they're easy to get to and available FELLOWES SAFECUT REPLACEMENT BLADES -3 STYLES

Cons;
The one big con I can see is that it could do with an extendable ruler on either or both sides so that larger pieces of paper would be easier to cut. At the moment anything more than 12cm is difficult to measure accurately, but I suppose one gets used to it.

A very good bit of kit. I'm happy to use it.

The Goblin King (Sophie and the Shadow Woods, Book 1)
The Goblin King (Sophie and the Shadow Woods, Book 1)
by Linda Chapman

4.0 out of 5 stars First of new series for young girls, 23 Jun. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this for my 9 year old daughter who I reckon is probably the target audience. Having seen the adverts in her young girl magazines, she was keen to read this and it did not disappoint. The story is about Sophie who finds out that she holds the key to the shadow-woods and is enticing but not scarey. My daughter (who isn't the world's best reader) read most of it to herself but she quite enjoyed having parts read to her.
As the first in a series I can see we'll be waiting for the next (and the next and the next....) It sits on a bookshelf very nicely alongside Kate the Royal Wedding Fairy (Rainbow Magic) and Sophia and Emily at Silver Towers (The Tiara Club). Ideal for young girls aged around 8 to 10.

The Maze Runner
The Maze Runner
by James Dashner

4.0 out of 5 stars Some experiments are a-mazing., 17 May 2011
This review is from: The Maze Runner (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Thomas is the only thing he can remember. His name is Thomas. Apart from that he doesn't know who he is or where he's from. WICKED have wiped his mind. Thomas has to escape from the maze that he is in, but he has to watch out for the Grievers.
An adventure story set in the near future, The Maze Runner is a cracking adventure for boys. It sits on a shelf very happily with The Hunger Games but with a male slant. It is very plot driven and doesn't have a lot of 'kissy bits', the bane of many a young boys reading life. My 13 and 11 year olds have both read it and enjoyed the pace and plot. It should lead very naturally into a series and they will be reading the follow ups when they get them.

The Emerald Atlas:The Books of Beginning 1
The Emerald Atlas:The Books of Beginning 1
by John Stephens

4.0 out of 5 stars First in series; Orphans in trouble, 17 May 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Three children have been going around from orphanage to orphanage, moving on everytime the youngest gets into trouble. Their next move is to an island called Cambridge Falls where they meet the eccentric Doctor Pym. Then they find a mysterious green book, the first of three spell books and when they touch it they get thrown back in time to the time of an evil witches rule over Cambridge Falls.
This is the first in a trilogy of books and well written. The characters, Kate, Michael and Emma, are believable and likeable. You get into the book quickly and want to know what happens next in the book. It does, however, clean up all its loose ends so that you don't necessarily feel a desperate urge to get the next one straight away... only time will tell if that's an error. My 13 year old tester says, "It's good and quite original. If you like The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events No.1) or Magyk (Septimus Heap) you should enjoy this."

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13