Profile for Angel Jem > Reviews

Content by Angel Jem

Angel Jem "Angel Jem" (Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Fat and Forty, A Weight Loss Success Story Month 1: Simple and Easy Meals
Fat and Forty, A Weight Loss Success Story Month 1: Simple and Easy Meals

1.0 out of 5 stars There are much more useful diet guides and life story books out there., 3 April 2015
Please save your money. This is really short and contains basically one small introductory chapter about Alana and then a list of 30 breakfasts, 30 lunches, 30 main meals and 30 snacks. And that's pretty much just a list, not recipes or anything fancy. This book is only the 'simple' meals, so to read the exercises the author uses you need to buy .... another book! This lady may have lost a lot of weight using these methods (there are no before or after photos, so no proof around) but I think for every pound she lost in weight, she must be hoping to convert it into real cash!
It's a pity, because I think she had more to say, and more that I would like to hear. It's just not value for money. I'm sorry, Ms Davenport, but I asked for my money back.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol. 1 (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic 70's goes Sci Fi, 9 Aug. 2014
Cracking music to listen to after you've seen Guardians of the Galaxy! My children have enjoyed singing along to songs they recognise from the film.

Burial Rites
Burial Rites

5.0 out of 5 stars Bleak expectations in Iceland make for a hypnotic read., 31 July 2014
This review is from: Burial Rites (Kindle Edition)
I had to read this book for our September bookclub, which was doing a double-meeting with this and The Rabbit Back Literature Society. Now, that sounds more ungenerous than I wanted it to. I wanted to read this book anyway and choosing it as a bookclub book gave me a legitimate reason to buy and read it.
It is set in early 19th century Iceland, at that time a dependency of Denmark and based on real events that happened in 1829 when the last execution for murder took place on Icelandic ground.

Agnes Magnussdottir has been found guilty of murdering two men and is being held in a private house in preparation for her execution. The family have to have a murderess living in their small house and to deal daily with the fear, hatred and distrust that they feel. A young and inexperienced priest, Toti, has been appointed to prepare Agnes for her fate and when he comes as often as possible he finds the best way to deal with Agnes is not to preach, or to share tracts of scripture, but to let her talk. And so she does.

The book is told either in the third person, allowing us to see the actions of Toti and the other people around Agnes or in the first person by Agnes herself. Very often the things Agnes and Toti talk about are expanded on and clarified by Agnes' monologues. You gain an insight into her life as a pauper, her work on various farms and the history that brought her to Natan's small holding. We are told the public version of events, through conversations or through chapter prologues that are official papers or letters, and we get an experience of other people's reactions to Agnes, but we only realise the whole story through Agnes herself. We know what the inevitable ending will be, but we still seek a different ending.

I enjoyed the book a lot. I thought that the characters were well-drawn and not caricatures. The relationships between them are conveyed well, and the subtleties of attitude changes were portrayed without fanfare. The descriptions of Iceland don't exactly encourage me to want to visit; it's bleak, cold and dark for a lot of the year. The Icelanders live in small dirt houses with little privacy and less possessions and the concept of isolation is palpable. It really does become another character in the story, as if the murders would not have happened if Agnes lived elsewhere. I'm looking forward to discussing it at our bookclub. It was not an easy read, but it was a compelling one.
Picador have a photoessay http://www.picador.com/blog/august-2013/burial-rites-a-photo-essay-from-iceland, showing sites named in the book. Looking at these brings the story even more to life, although I have to say I had the pictures in my mind that looked like these anyway, so well-described are the events.
What is also impressive is that it's a literary debut; hopefully Hannah Kent will write more of the same calibre. The book has been well-received and boasts an impressive list of awards and nominations;

iZKA® - Touch Screen UniSex Gloves For Apple iPad 2, 3, 4 & Mini, All Amazon Kindle Models, Amazon Fire HD, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Tab2 & Note 10.1, iPhone 5 / 4, HTC, Tablet, Asus Tablets, Google Nexus, Nexus, LG, Advent, Samsung Galaxy (S2) S3, Smart Phones, PC, Blackberry Playbook & Phones, Android And All Other Capacitive Screens Devices (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good gloves to save your cold fingers, 4 Nov. 2013
The gloves work well enough with touchscreens and keep my son's hands warm on a a cold winter's day. Delivery was in time and the price is not excessive for the item.

Living With Less: How to downsize to 100 personal possessions
Living With Less: How to downsize to 100 personal possessions
by Mary Lambert

2.0 out of 5 stars How can a book about cutting objects down to 100 not be on Kindle?, 7 April 2013
Ms Lambert wants to cut our possessions down in size: in her case to 100. Having read David Bruno and Francine Jay I'm happy to read up on minimalism. I'm an aspiring minimalist. I buy much less stuff than I used to and I am decluttering my life. So why is a book I would like to read and learn from not available in clutter free Kindle form? Is it to keep people from reading the free excerpt and choosing to go no further? Or because Kindle books for over £4 don't do too well? Since I won't clutter my house with a hardback or spend £10 to find out what Mary says, I guess I will have to wait until a cheaper ormore space efficient version is released.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2013 9:40 PM GMT

Friends at My Table: A year of eating, drinking and making merry
Friends at My Table: A year of eating, drinking and making merry
by Alice Hart

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful for when you have company, 28 Feb. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The worry about entertaining people is whether you have too much or not enough food. This book makes it easier with instructions on things to make, shopping lists and ways to calculate how much food etc you need to buy. It would be useful for someone who had never entertained but not perhaps for an experienced cook who often cooks for over ten.

Omron CaloriScan HJA-306 Professional Weight Management Activity Monitor - White

3.0 out of 5 stars Compact and easy to use pedometer and more but very pricy, 9 April 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We know we are supposed to walk more for health. Guidelines vary between 3,000 and 10,000 steps a day and for those watching their weight (ahem) counting steps can be a good way to ensure that you are hitting the minimum at least.
This small Omron device is marketed as a Weight Management Activity Monitor (probably to justify the heavy price bracket) and it has several functions designed to help in any weight management campaign.
* Simple step pedometer
*Activity step pedometer, which measures continuous exercise steps, cutting in after 4 seconds of sustained activity
*Basic metabolic calorie counter, which just charts your body's standard calorific needs but adds on any activity calories used.
*Activity calorie counter which counts just the calories earned by activity.
There is a 7 day memory function so that you can review the past week and a trip counter that gives you the cumulative total for the time the device has been on. It comes with a good clip on strap approx 4 inches long and a secure grasp to fasten it onto clothes or (in my case) bra. It is about 2cm by 5 cm so it is small enough to live in a pocket or tuck into clothing and not be a big lump.
Setting up was easy after finding a sharp point to activate set up, buttons were clear and the instructions clear enough to be effective. It asked for height, weight and pace length and hey presto it was away. (I used an online calculator to convert from imperial to metric)
I have used the pedometer for about 2 weeks now and I am happy with it in use. It has a clear and very readable LCD display that shows the information at a size that is legible to most people. At first I found the idea that I burned 2000 calories a day just doing nothing weird, but (duh) of course the body burns calories at rest... and then I enjoyed working out what my extra calories are. The amount of walking, dancing or running you have to do to earn 40 calories can be frightening, and that is only an apple's worth! The small size makes it easy to cart around and provides a continual reminder that the next chocolate bar needs to be carefully considered. I enjoy seeing how active/passive my different days are and I think it would keep me motivated to keep moving rather than stay sat down since even just meandering around the house adds to the totals.
It has so much going for it..... but the hefty price tag stands against it as a big put off. Plain pedometers are available at £10 or £20 and I can't see where the massive price difference comes in. Omron themselves have the Omron HJ-203 Pedometer with Activity Tracker - Automatic - White, Pink that appears to have the same features at half the price while SAI Super-Quality All-In-One Waterproof Exercise Monitoring System With Built-In USB Interface - Heart Rate Monitor Watch, 3D Sensor - Transmitter Chest Belt - Measures Distance, Speed, Steps, Calories and Fat - For Running, Jogging and Walking - Upload... seems to offer a heart rate monitor as well. At half the RRP this would have earned a couple more stars, but lost them on account of the cost.

French Children Don't Throw Food
French Children Don't Throw Food
by Pamela Druckerman

4.0 out of 5 stars British Children don't throw food, either...., 20 Mar. 2012
I bought this book, intrigued as to whose children throw food (mine are too busy eating it) and expecting a full-blown prissy nurse voice commandment manual. You know, the ones that have boxes on the page with bullet points; "strap your child into the high chair; only feed them white food on Wednesday; never let them see you drunk."
I didn't expect the narrative quality of this book. It tells you plenty about how the French raise their children and a whole load about how an ex pat American learns to copy their style. Pamela has basically written the story of her time raising 3 children in Paris; from meeting and marrying husband to now she tells you a lot of her personal details. It's funny and frank and it does highlight the differences between 'french' and 'american' baby raising. I found it interesting to note that the 'secrets' the French use to ensure good behaviour are similar to the ones that I as an old-fashioned mother use; eating together as a family, leaving the child to self settle from an early age, not helicoptering at playgrounds and fostering independence. My children have never thrown food, and hardly threw tantrums as well.
As a reminder that sometimes we need to remember old ways and traditions as a basis for what works, this book was useful. It's not a clear and concise read; the index and contents are a little higgledy piggledy but it is also an enjoyable story. Perhaps it truly is a French style manual where the philosophy of the practice is left to the individual to discover rather than a black and white do this don't do that guide. It's worth a read just to give you a moments relief that you didn't have twins.

Sarah's Key
Sarah's Key
by Tatiana De Rosnay

5.0 out of 5 stars I read this standing on Bir Hakim station in Paris.., 13 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Sarah's Key (Paperback)
I like reading books set in the city where I am and in Paris that is no problem. I chose Sarah's Key as some light summer reading. What a mistake.
The book is based in the modern day and in 1942 when orders from Hitler resulted in thousands of French Jews being rounded up to be sent to the camps. The Nazi's orders asked for just the men and women, but the efficient French rounded up any body, leaving them with about 2,000 children to do something with...
Julie in the modern day is a journalist who gets the job of looking into the story of the Vel d'Hiv and realises through it that there are things about her french in laws she doesn't want to delve too deeply into.
Sarah is a 10 year old Jewish girl who sees locking her brother into the closet as the only way to save him from the round up.
The two stories intertwine well and both have a way of keeping the reader fully involved. I cried (buckets)as I realised this was a 'true story' in that the round up actually happened. The writing is just right, not too maudlin or too heavy handed. Not holiday reading, but good book club fare. Where does the guilt end? Is knowledge necessary to be a guilty party or is looking the other way sufficient?

So Cold The River
So Cold The River
by Michael Koryta

2.0 out of 5 stars So cold the reader, I gave up, 13 Mar. 2012
This review is from: So Cold The River (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With its supernatural element and a blurb that raved, I settled down to enjoy what I hoped would be a Stephen King style book.
It seems harsh, but it left me cold. I so did not like this book. The story was intriguing at first but lost me in the twists that didn't need to be there. I had no sympathy for the characters and left the book a third of the way through. Sorry, but it lost me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13