Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now
Profile for Alex1745 > Reviews

Content by Alex1745

Jensen 541S
Jensen 541S
by Ronald Cohn Jesse Russell

1.0 out of 5 stars SERIOUS COMPLAINT, 2 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Jensen 541S (Paperback)
I am a genuine and bona fide customer who bought this book in good faith. I was so disgusted with this product I took the time to write a long and detailed review of exactly why I rated this product one star.
However I see my 200+ word review has been redacted by Amazon. It is obvious what has happened. The publisher, authors or others connected with this book have complained to Amazon who then pulled the review. Herein lies a serious problem. If a publisher or anyone else can have a negative review pulled then the reviews are worthless. Bad reviews are as important, if not more important, than good reviews.
I reiterate that this product is not a BOOK it is a confidence trick designed to rip-off the unwary. This is why I am angry with Amazon because they have effectively taken the side of the crooks that publish this rubbish, and stole my money, and gone against a genuine customer!
Again - THIS IS NOT A BOOK. Why is it not a book? It is not a book because it is 100 pages of random WIKIPEDIA entries bound together and masquerading as relating to the Jensen 541. There is only a very poor article on Wikipedia on the Jensen 541 and that is the only thing in this so called book, the other 100+ pasges are random unrelated filler.
Please if you are interested in the Jensen 541 do not purchase this book as you will be cheated.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A COMPLETE CON!, 15 Nov. 2012
I rate this book one star because "no stars" is not an option.
I bought this book because there is a picture of a Jensen 541 on the cover and assumed as this book was also called "JENSEN 541S" that this is what it would be about. Well I was connned. It is 100 page A4 soft bound book that is nothing but a print-off of various Wikipedia articles unrelated, or extremely distantly related to Jensen. Anyone looking up the Jensen 541 on Wikipedia will encounder two very brief single page articles and that's ALL you will find poorly replicated in Black and White in this joke of a book.
THIS IS NOT A BOOK IT IS A CONFIDENCE TRICK and Amazon should be ashamed to be participating in ripping off the innocent purchaser with this rubbish.
I understand I should have payed more attention to the small blue disc on the cover claiming the contents were compiled from Wikipedia articles but nevertheless a 100 page book with two pages on the subject of the title is a shameless con.
Just look up Wiki and save yourself the £15 Amazon and this publisher just ripped me off for.
If you are interested in the Jensen 541 then there are two dedicated websites where you will learn much more. Also the Wiki page on the 541 is poor to start with.
I recommend picking up the copy of the magazine PRACTICAL CLASSICS July 1983 Vol.4 No.3 off eBay for a couple of quid and you will learn more about the 541 than buying this rip-off.
Do not purchase any book whatsoever published by Bookvika Publishing/Lennex Corp. And if you are reading this Lennex Corp you should know that I too live in Scotland and I know Mitchell House Mitchell St in Edinburgh and I WILL get my £15 back!
I am sending my copy of Jensen 541 to the BBC's Watchdog programme as an example of cowboy publishing.
BE AWARE this kind of confidence trick is unlikely to be confined to the title "Jensen 541S" there is a good chance the cover is changed to whatever suits and thus lure in the innocent.
I have no connection to anything I have recommended. I have no personnal grudge or prior relationship with anything I have criticised. My review is based solely on the customer experience of purchasing this "book".

Gerald Scarfe
Gerald Scarfe
by Gerald Scarfe

5.0 out of 5 stars Why the pen is mightier than the sword, 16 May 2012
This review is from: Gerald Scarfe (Paperback)
Scarfe is the undisputed master of the genre of cartoon and caricature. This volume offers an excellent introduction to his inimitable style through a selection of his best works since the 1960s. Gerald Scarfe's cartoons are more than art they are also wicked acidic political obsevation and social commentary. Your eyes are assaulted by the power of his imagery whilst his sometimes painfully cynical and sharp observations of our human failings communicate all too powefully and instantly. A swift visual boot in the conscience.
Scarfe has an instantly recognisable style of great panache, speed and flare. The book is a masterclass for the aspiring artist. It also makes you stop and think. Scarfe is, for me, the ultimate political commentator, devoid of partisan influence he is as scathing and acerbic to all who desire to rule.
This is not the sterile circus trick of the merely talented, this is the passionate artistry of a great talent married to an astute, compassionate and intelligent observer.
My favourite Scarfe works are his B&W ink drawings of politicians in the late 1960s early 1970s. The Richard Nixon cartoons are genius- fabulous art, hilariously funny, nobly cynical and damn terrifying. Likewise his Ted Heath cartoons are iconic and never bettered by any cartoonist. It is such a pity some of his works were deemed too strong for publication. All Scarfe's cartoons of Rhodesian Prime Minister Ian Smith deserved a much wider audience at the time (Check them out in Scarfe's recent book "Drawing Blood").
Satire and art at their best, this volume offers a taster of the great Gerald Scarfe.

Other than admiring the art I have no connection with the author or publisher.