Profile for bomble > Reviews

Content by bomble
Top Reviewer Ranking: 566

bomble "bomble" (Cambridge, UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
HALTI Retractable Lead, Medium, Black
HALTI Retractable Lead, Medium, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality, good design and reasonably priced., 25 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an excellent retractable lead for a modest sized dog and, I suppose, modest sized owner (the hand grip would be a bit small if you have large hands). You can immediately tell it is a well made product with good consideration of the ergonomics and mechanical components. The main positives are :
+ solidly built
+ good grip on the handle with a comfortable soft plastic interior
+ smooth retraction of the lead - no jolts to dog or owner
+ nice control and positive action from the locking button to be sure that the dog won't surprise you.

As I say the only negative is that it isn't sized for larger hands but if, like Rosie's owner shown in the photos, you don't have big paws yourself this is highly recommended and at a reasonable price when compared with the competition.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Kaspersky Internet Security for Mac 2016 (1 Device, 1 Year) Licence Key Retail Box (Mac)

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good Internet Security product but don't buy the single licence Mac version!, 24 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not a fan of using one-star ratings to draw attention to reviews but I'm going to bend my own rule because if you are considering getting this software you need to read my review.

Kaspersky have several offerings on the market for their products - a standard 'Internet Security' and a more comprehensive 'Total Security' product. The current price asked of this single device Mac version of the 'Internet Security' is the same as the price of a 3-device copy of the 'Total Security' Kaspersky Total Security 2016 Multi Device - 3 Device - 1 Year (PC/Mac/Android) !!! Or you could opt for the 5 device version of 'Internet Security', Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 5 User - Licence Key (PC) for less than this (and the manufacturer description confirms you can use it for Mac - I know because I have it and have been using it for nearly 6 months on a Mac OSX 10.11.n machine as well as an Android phone). If you are still considering getting this one then I've nothing further to say to you... ;) !!!

My user experience of 'Internet Security' on a Mac is varied - most of the time it causes me no problems but once in a while it will freeze up my internet connection and I need to disable and re-enable protection to get things going again. The protected mode for dealing with online transactions is also very flaky and rarely works to completion so I tend not to use it. Full and Quick scans work well and the threats are kept updated regularly so I can recommend Kaspersky as much as any other internet security product I've tried on the Mac. It's worth having especially if you transfer files between machines a lot and use different operating systems.

But don't let them exploit you for being a single-device Mac user! There are much more economic ways of buying this product without walking around with a 'Mac-owner' bell around your neck and over-paying for an identical product.

City Trails - London (Lonely Planet Kids)
City Trails - London (Lonely Planet Kids)
by Lonely Planet Kids

4.0 out of 5 stars NOT a practical guide but it IS fun, inspiring and should give plenty of ideas for visits to the capital., 24 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We enjoy going to London for family days out and as we have plans to do so during these summer holidays I got this for my 8 yearold daughter to give us some ideas. For that aspect it is perfect - the illustrations are fun, the facts are suprising and convey a real love of the city, the trails have the kind of themes that she finds appealing. So a great book to give you ideas.

Unfortunutely it's almost useless on its own as a practical guide. There is a feeble map with the starting points of the trails but nothing useful is marked (nearest Underground for example). The trails are not really functional routes through the capital - you can of course do them using the many and varied transport options of the city - but they aren't walkable and they aren't very efficient for seeing things in a day (one trail might take you right up to the highlight of another but unless you already know your way around London you might not realise you were a stones throw away from something special). They don't even mark the postcodes of the points of interest so that you could easily search for them on a map (electronic or otherwise) and see other locations that were nearby. This is a shame - if I was feeling miserly I'd give the book a lower star rating but as my daughter and I like the content so much and I shouldn't have too much trouble putting my own routes together for her, we'll praise it for the inspiring ideas and colourful, fun presentation. Just be warned that it's not going to help you get around the metropolis particulalrly well.

Mitre Agility Speed Training Kit - One Size, Multi-Coloured
Mitre Agility Speed Training Kit - One Size, Multi-Coloured

5.0 out of 5 stars Get quick, get agile!, 24 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I organise a weekly fitness session at my workplace and in good weather we often head out to a nearby park to do plyometrics, sprints and other fitness drills. We already had one small agility ladder which we liked a lot so adding in a half dozen hurdles, all the marker cones etc. and a couple of 4 metre agility ladders makes for a versatile kit to grab in one go whenever we feel like setting up some speed/agility drills. There's no shortage of ideas on youtube for how to use all these items so until I get a chance to photograph our efforts I'm sure you can find some inspiration elsewhere.

I've used Mitre gear since my childhood and it's always offered good quality for the money. This is no exception - the ladders in particular are of more solid construction than some of basic ones available on line and the hurdles are well put together. Not much can be said about the hat and dome cones - they are as you'd expect.

The real question comes when you try to determine whether the set offers good value for money. Have a look at current prices on similar items to the content Mitre Training Hurdles, Mitre Space Marker Cones - 2 inch, Multi-Coloured, Set of 50, Mitre Training Agility Ladders - Yellow, 4 m (I can't find a set of hat cones from mitre but generic set of ten costs about £13). Tallying those up comes to slightly more than what this set costs at the moment - and it all comes in a basic holdall bag - so it's both convenient and fairly priced.

A great starter kit for kids, sports clubs and fitness enthusiasts - recommended.

Crocs Swiftwater M Men's Ankle Strap Sandals - Black (Black/Charcoal), 8 UK (42-43 EU)

5.0 out of 5 stars I like these so much I bought a second pair, 24 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like these so much I bought a second pair! Now that is true - but it needs some qualification. I have a club foot (CTEV) which is two sizes smaller than my dominant foot and in most shoes I just get by with having one that is a lot too big. In the case of a water shoe, however, this just doesn't work well as the smaller foot can slide out leading to the loss of a shoe in strong currents. So I now own a pair of these in UK size 8 and a pair in UK size 10. Usually both of my feet would require at least a half size larger - these sandals come up on the larger side than their listed sizing would suggest. But I can attest that this is true for both sizes I ordered.

I enjoy various waterborne sports - most of all rowing but also kayaking, rafting and of course mucking about along coastlines, rockpooling and the like. I've owned a few pairs of shoes designed to be 'amphibious' and so have some experience of what is required for them to be any good. These Swiftwater sandals from Crocs tick all the main boxes for me. Positives include :
+They are light and comfortable on land and in water.
+They hold the foot well thanks to the mesh upper and velcro closure.
+They offer a little protection from bumps and scrapes to the tips and sides of toes
+They dry fast
+There are no prominent seams to cause rub points (I have hiked some gentle trails in them with and without socks all in comfort)
+They feel fairly sure-footed on submerged rocks (as well as most things I've tried)
+Being so light (UK size 8 shoes, dry, weigh 204g each!) they are a great option for backpackers, thru-hikers and trekkers as a spare pair of footwear to escape from their boots
+They look good and, if you wear a plain black short-cut sock you'd not notice they were sandals at first glance.
+Outstanding value for money at the current offer from Amazon - could buy two pairs of these to fit my odd feet for less than it costs for some of the alternatives in this class of shoe.

There are a few areas I could see improved - partly because my favourite shoe that I've used for amphibious purposes in the past was the Salomon Techamphibian 3, Men's Hiking Sandals and these trade off the lightness in favour of a more durable and structured sole unit and fully adjustable fit. Hence they aren't quite the same kind of beast but I'd suggest the Crocs:

- could do with a little more durable and puncture-resistant sole (I know this is a Crocs selling point - but it's also a reason I haven't bought any!)
- would benefit from some means of adjusting the fit along the shoe. I
- need some way of locking down the velcro closure as in water this can be pulled open a little too easily.

I've had a really good opportunity to test these lately as I've been using them in 36C heat walking around town and on low elevation hikes, In 8C water with a wetsuit sock on underneath whilst rafting and I've also ridden my bike in them. They are an excellent all-rounder and at a very reasonable price so I can thoroughly recommend them.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Liteway Filament 4w SES E14 Golfball LED Bulb, 470 Lumen, Warm White, 40w Traditional Replacement

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, pleasant colour temperature, efficient and good value. Ideal SES E14., 9 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've replaced most of the cfl bulbs in my home with LED over the last few years for reasons of efficiency but now the LED bulb has really come of age in the form of aesthetics that rival the looks of classic incandescent bulbs. This bulb offers the excellent power consumption of the best LED, a very appealing colour temperature that is reminiscent of halogens and a look that is both striking and has retro appeal. I love it! I placed it in a bedside lamp in a guest room so that my visitors can enjoy the light it gives out and still be able to see the bulb from above to get the most of it. I think the price is more than fair for something this good and if you're hanging on to your old incandescents because the light from CFL was ugly and LED were too expensive... this might just be the bulb that changes your mind. Highly recommended.

TOYO HOFU Clear Glass Heat Resistant Large Loose Tea Teapot with Stainless Steel Infuser,1200ml
Offered by Hilison Young

5.0 out of 5 stars Beatiful, well made and very effective teapot for about half what you'd pay for the big brand equivalents, 9 July 2016
I really love teas and at any given time have a half dozen leaf teas open to enjoy. So I was pleased to accept an offer from Toyo Hofu of a sample of this teapot in return for my honest opinions. I own a number of other diffuser teapots including from big brand names such a Bodum so I was very pleasantly surprised by what you get for your money with this pot. First I must congratulate the distributors for the excellent parcel which came in an inflated box for want of a better word. The pot inside was very well looked after and once I had given it a wash and removed the peel-off stickers (see photo) I was left with a handsome, high quality teapot ready to enjoy.

The Toyo Hofu branded steel infuser section is precision machined with fine holes that keep the leafs and dust out of the brew but you can enjoy seeing the tea colour diffusing out from the centre as you add the hot water. The whole cylinder can be lifted out when you feel the brew is strong enough and it fits easily within a typical mug if you wish to let it stand before emptying out the hot contents. The glass itself is very nicely made with no scratches and fine clarity. Most importantly it pours very well even at low flow rates so my usual habit of dripping things from the teapot can end here much to the approval of my wife! The handle feels solid enough for the size of the pot but obviously you need to take extra care with a glass teapot.

Cleaning wise, I checked with manufacturer that it is all dishwasher safe but seeing it up close I prefer to hand wash it and do so immediately after use to avoid streaks and rings inside the pot. You'll need quite small hands or a good bottle brush to clean thoroughly inside. The final result, however, is a handsome, efficient and cost-effective way to make a lovely leaf tea or infusion and enjoy the aesthetics of watching the tea brew in good company.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Bluetooth Speaker, Portable Wireless Stereo Rechargeable Speaker with Enhanced Bass Resonator, Led Display, FM Radio, Built-in Mic, 3.5 mm Audio Jack, Support TF Card/Micro SD Card Black
Offered by WCB UK Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars A whole lot of function for not a lot of cash - and it looks great too., 6 July 2016
Length:: 0:40 Mins

I have tried many Bluetooth portable speakers in recent years but as this one also includes an FM Radio I was pleased to accept the offer from the distributor, WCBUK Tech, of a sample of this product in return for my honest review.

Even before you’ve powered it up, the design immediately strikes you. The usual cuboid speaker housing is made much more intriguing with the moulded indentations that look like the unit is melting – I really like this as it elevates it from the mundane into something eye-catching that is fun to display. Out of the box a full charge took an hour or two after which I have run it to an empty battery and recharged a couple of times; the battery life is very good – perhaps 10 hours at each recharge – as I’ve been using it to listen to audio streamed from my phone and to have the football commentary to go with live streaming of the recent Euro 2016 games. I’ve also tried it for several hours in its FM radio mode, tuning to different stations successfully and getting the usual range of stations available in my home on other FM radios. It can also take direct audio-in from a 3.5mm jack and has a Micro-SD card port. I’ve tested that these function as you’d expect but not made much use of them as this is not the main objective of such a device.

In use, the red backlit LED tells you the source (BT for Bluetooth, the FM frequency etc.) and on the top of the casing you have controls for volume, mode, skipping tracks forward & backward and power/pairing. The Bluetooth pairing is genuinely one of the best of any speaker or headphone I’ve tried – after first pairing it successfully pairs to my devices automatically when power is turned on (provided their BT is enabled of course!).

And now we come to the sound. As I say I’ve got quite a few similar devices to compare against – most retailing for more than this and all others without the built in FM tuner. This ranks amongst the top tier for sound quality. Not quite up to the best I’ve tried but it has a good mid-range that picks out vocals nicely and given the limitations of Bluetooth audio codecs (much better than they were but still not up to a wired sound quality) they are much better than acceptable. Overall this is supremely good value offering – you get BT sound equivalent to some models I’ve tried at double the price; FM radio that would account for half the retail price alone at a minimum if you bought it separately and some original styling that sets it apart from the crowded market place of portable speakers. An excellent all-rounder.

Ultrasport Kids Snorkelling Set Aqua Splash, Including Diving Mask and Snorkel
Ultrasport Kids Snorkelling Set Aqua Splash, Including Diving Mask and Snorkel

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the stuff sold at the beach - not suitable for smaller children due to the size, 6 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The mask on this set is just a little big for my 8 yearold daughter - it does form a seal but takes up so much space on her face that there's hardly room for her to open her mouth for the snorkel. That said, I can see it getting plenty of use in future years; the set is nicely made with every sign of quality manufacture (no sharp edges, excessive join lines etc.). The snorkel curves back over the head tidily and resists influx of water when splashed and there's plenty of adjustment available on the mask straps to get a good fit so I'm sure that when she advances beyond trying it in the bathtub it will do the job well in open water. The price is reasonable for the quality. Recommended.

Mister Memory
Mister Memory
by Marcus Sedgwick

4.0 out of 5 stars Well paced read with just a few too many stereotypes competing for the limelight, 5 July 2016
This review is from: Mister Memory (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've not read any of Marcus Sedgwick's books before but it's clear from the outset that he is a confident writer even if his past focus has been on literature for the younger reader. This is a tale that bounces along with enough intrigue and insight into a time and a place to keep it interesting, and enough grounding in the realms of human brain to be plausible if quite far fetched. I won't give any spoilers but, lets just say if you enjoy lay science and have read any Oliver Sacks books or similar then you might find not one but two (maybe more!) recognisable neurological conditions in our eponymous Monsieur Memoire.

The fin du siecle Paris is a ripe place for a good old mystery and the characterisations are pretty good. The main drawback that knocks this down from the best historical novels is that we are given too many characters that vie for our attention - and too many of them are stereotypes. The bereaving outsider police officer; the doctor/scientist at the end of a less than illustrious career; the scheming beauty; the 'savant' innocent, the corrupt elite ... They are all done reasonably well and the end result is a good read.

But in the final moments as loose ends are drawn up I was left a little disappointed that there wasn't something more substantial to take away from what was a decent ingredients list for a successful novel.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20