Profile for Cartimand > Reviews

Content by Cartimand
Top Reviewer Ranking: 560

Cartimand (Hampshire, UK.)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Pompeii [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [2014]
Pompeii [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [2014]
Dvd ~ Kit Harington
Offered by rsdvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and spectacular mini-epic, 27 May 2015
OK so it's Spartacus meets Gladiator, whilst not being as gory and visceral as the former and not as epic as the latter, but Pompeii is still a thoroughly entertaining movie. The fight scenes are very well choreographed and the disaster scenes are truly spectacular. There's an impressive use of 3D here, with a few genuine projection effects which just may make you duck. Surround sound is also worthy of note and, if you own a decent 5.1 system, you are in for a treat. The plot is almost incidental to the eye-candy, but does throw up an unexpected moment or two and the love theme I found genuinely moving. Having visited Pompeii, I was also impressed by how accurately the streets were recreated.

Obviously not Oscar material, but Pompeii is well worth adding to your collection if you're a sandals 'n swords fan and are looking for something that show-cases the 3D Blu-ray medium.

Ryobi R18ALF-0 ONE+ 18V Folding Area Light (Body Only)
Ryobi R18ALF-0 ONE+ 18V Folding Area Light (Body Only)

4.0 out of 5 stars Versatile and impressive addition to the ONE+ range, 23 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This newcomer to the Ryobi ONE+ range is beautifully designed and feels of the same exceptional quality as their drills, trimmers etc.
When fully extended it stands around 25½" tall (with battery) and the hinge allows the upper LED panel to be angled to suit the job at hand. Successive presses on the on button selects both banks, lower bank only or upper bank only. Retractable/folding hooks are located at the mid and top sections for hanging, or the whole unit is stable enough to stand quite happily on its base. I had no concept of how bright 850 lumens was but, believe me, it is REALLY bright! Depending on which ONE+ battery you use, this will provide between 2 and 6 hours of lighting. Obviously designed as an inspection/work light, this is about as good as it gets and can happily be pressed into service wherever lighting is required away from mains power. In a couple of hours, I shall be using it to add some area lighting in my garden for my Eurovision BBQ!

If you do not already own a ONE+ device, then perhaps this is a tad pricey, especially when you factor in the cost of a battery and charger but, if you already have a Ryobi drill or whatever, then simply swap the battery over and let there be light! You will not be disappointed by this top quality area lighting unit.

Rexel Advance A4 2 Pocket Customisable Polypropylene Folders - Purple (Pack of 5)

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy and attractive folders - a boon for the untidy man!, 23 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a naturally untidy person, who often gets nagged at by my better half to tidy up all my papers. Well I've just spent a not too painful 30 minutes organising my gaming stuff, work stuff, house stuff, product guarantees etc. into these useful little folders. The transparent pocket on the cover is a nice idea for an index sheet and the inside capacity is reasonable - perhaps a maximum of 30 sheets each side. They are pre-punched for 4-hole binders but, if you fill the inner pockets to capacity, the paper tends to block the holes somewhat. No big deal though. These are very useful folders which have brought a little bit of order to my normally chaotic home filing system. Reasonably priced and if you want to colour-code your system, different colours are available (although the deep purple looks pretty cool).

Ironclad 2: Battle For Blood [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region Free]
Ironclad 2: Battle For Blood [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Michelle Fairley

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable hack 'n slash mini-epic, 19 May 2015
I say mini-epic, because with its cast of dozens, Ironclad 2 was never going to have battle scenes quite as spectacular as Braveheart* for example. The fight scenes, often one-on-one combat with broadswords, maces, axes and an impressive battle-hammer are as gory as hell though, with plenty of blood splashes a la Spartacus. The plot is fairly incidental, but depicts a Scottish siege of an Anglo-Norman castle just inside the English side of the border. The heavily outnumbered English put up a desperate resistance, led by our (initially) reluctant hero Guy (Tom Austen). Good and bad are not always clear cut and there is a certain edginess throughout, where you're never sure what apparently major character will be killed off next. You will recognise a few faces from Game of Thrones in here too.

The Blu-ray picture quality isn't the best I've seen, with a fair bit of grain particularly in the darker interior shots, but surround sound is used to very good effect. There's quite a stirring score too. A candid "behind the scenes" extra is worth a look and reveals how much the main cast enjoyed making this movie.

Overall, whilst the makers of Ironclad 2 were never going to have their mantelpieces weighed down with Oscars and Ironclad 1 was probably a more rounded and satisfying movie, this is still a very decent effort in the bloody-as-hell medieval battle genre. Probably 3½ stars would be about right but, as some of the other reviews have been IMHO overly harsh, I've rounded it up to 4 stars. Well worth a look.

* Historically, Ironclad 2 is far less inaccurate than Braveheart though!

iWhite Instant Teeth Whitening Toothpaste, 130g
iWhite Instant Teeth Whitening Toothpaste, 130g

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality but very overpriced toothpaste, 11 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
iWhite is a very thick, viscous toothpaste with a slightly granular/abrasive texture. If you've tried the Arm and Hammer brand, then it's not dissimilar. The taste is vaguely medicinal, but almost masked by a lot of sweetener. In fact, this is probably the sweetest toothpaste I can remember trying. As for the whitening claims, well not being one of the yellow-fingered smoky people, my teeth are not that stained to begin with and, after around a week's use of this toothpaste, I can't honestly say I've noticed any difference. The presence of flouride and other minerals to strengthen your teeth is obviously welcome and my mouth certainly feels fresh after using this and my teeth feel shiny. But I get that feeling with pretty well any toothpaste. At double the price of even the most premium other toothpaste brands, I am not convinced that iWhite represents good value for money.

Ink Jet Remanufactured Ink Cartridge Replacement for HP 364 - Photo Black
Ink Jet Remanufactured Ink Cartridge Replacement for HP 364 - Photo Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Works fine but no significant saving over using genuine HP cartridges, 6 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This remanufactured cartridge installs fine in my HP Photosmart C 310a and the results seem (to me anyway) indistinguishable from using original HP cartridges. My printer did complain that this wasn't a genuine HP item though and I had to press <Enter> before each print job. As the guarantee period on my printer has now expired anyway, I have no qualms about potentially invalidating the warranty (which I assume is just HP trying to scare users into sticking with HP cartridges).

In terms of purchase price, these are only marginally cheaper than buying genuine HP ink and, occasionally there are multibuy deals on the HP store web site that drop the price of their original cartridges below that of these remastered ones.

So, the bottom line is that, although your printer may grumble a bit, these cartridges do a decent enough job and I suppose it boosts your green credentials to use remastered stock, but any cost savings you may make are minimal if at all. Once these are used up, unless the price drops, I shall probably return to using HP ink.

How Music Got Free: What happens when an entire generation commits the same crime?
by Stephen Witt

4.0 out of 5 stars A highly detailed exposé of the digital music revolution, 5 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Part detective story, part confession, How Music Got Free is a fascinating and painstakingly detailed account of the rise and rise of the digital music phenomenon.

I guess most of us take our MP3 players for granted these days, but the road by which these all-pervasive devices found their way into most households is a remarkably twisted and Machiavellian one. It's a tale of shady corporate shenanigans, high risk taking and improbable odds, which makes for a fascinating read - most of the time.

My only criticism is that the author cannot resist straying away from a factual account at times and indulging in peripheral tittle-tattle, including his opinion of some of the key players' personal appearance, their nerdiness quotient and even their alleged success (or otherwise) with women! He also spends what seems to be a disproportionate chunk of the book discussing the importance to the industry and merit of rap music - a genre I have no interest in whatsoever.

Quibbles aside, this book succeeds in revealing pretty well everything you ever wanted to know about how digital music made physical media almost obsolete and how ubiquitous piracy changed the industry for ever.

The Breath Co Fresh Breath Oral Rinse - 500 ml, Icy Mint
The Breath Co Fresh Breath Oral Rinse - 500 ml, Icy Mint

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective if rather pricey mouthwash, 3 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Breath Co Oral Rinse has a pleasant enough subtle minty taste and does freshen your breath very effectively. I'm slightly sceptical about the "up to 12 hours" claim though - especially with coffee breath at work. This is also a good solution to a very dry mouth and, having had a few drinks last night, I am sitting here thinking how fresh my mouth feels whilst the rest of me is slightly hungover!

It is rather pricey though and, as you are supposed to use two of the capful measures each time - once to rinse your mouth and the second time to gargle with, you will get through the 500ml bottle fairly quickly.

So there we have it; a very good product but, at a significantly higher price than most other mouthwashes.

Institut Karité Paris Shea Washing Cream, Milk Cream 500 ml
Institut Karité Paris Shea Washing Cream, Milk Cream 500 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Gently perfumed, luxurious wash, 28 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was pleasantly surprised by this product. The rich cream leaves your skin feeling nice and soft and the perfume is slight and subtle, so no reason for us blokes not to use it.
Obviously this premium product is considerably pricier than most high street brands, but I found a little goes a long way and 500ml should last you quite a while. So go on, why not pamper yourself?

Sealy Posturepedic 400 g Zonal Support Pillow
Sealy Posturepedic 400 g Zonal Support Pillow

4.0 out of 5 stars Very firm pillow provides a good night's sleep, 28 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
And when I say firm, I mean EXTREMELY firm. In fact, this pillow's lack of squeezability means it is a very tight fit to cram into a standard size pillowcase. When attempting to go to sleep, for the first few minutes, it did feel slightly uncomfortable but, after I had wriggled into a natural sleeping position, I soon began to appreciate the design and technology at work here. Both your neck and head are cradled very effectively and, the next thing I knew, my morning alarm was going off. It's unusual for me to sleep right through the night, so this pillow must be having a positive effect.

The filling is fully synthetic, so no problem for asthma sufferers. If you are happy with a substantially thick and very firm pillow, then this is probably as good as it gets.

A gentle note to Sealy though; please correct the glaring syntactical error on the packaging - this pillow should be "engineered to hold its shape" and not "engineered to hold it's shape". Have they been using Apple's auto-corrupt text function?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20