Profile for Cartimand > Reviews

Content by Cartimand
Top Reviewer Ranking: 563

Cartimand (Hampshire, UK.)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Fashion Aviator Police Metal Frame Polarized Sunglasses Mens Glasses (Black)
Fashion Aviator Police Metal Frame Polarized Sunglasses Mens Glasses (Black)
Offered by Broadfashion
Price: 8.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value sunglasses, but very wide!, 16 July 2014
Came securely packed after 7 days (from China!). The polarized lenses are slightly darker than average, which is how I like 'em and the metal frame and arms seem decent enough quality. So, certainly can't fault the value for money.

My only slight criticism is that these sunglasses are VERY wide. Both the spread of the arms and the overall width of the glasses, at 6 inches, is significantly wider than any sunglasses I've worn before. I'm a pretty big guy at well over 6 feet, but they do feel a little big for me. Maybe it's because Chinese heads are broader than European?

No big deal though. I'm keeping these in the car, as they are great for driving on these sunny summer days, but will use a pair of more snug-fitting sunglasses for more dynamic activities!

IOS 7 Programming Pushing the Limits
IOS 7 Programming Pushing the Limits
by Rob Napier
Price: 29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Expert-Level Developers' Bible for IOS 7, 22 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Definitely not for the novice, this book comprises almost 500 pages of best-practice techniques, which should enhance the skills and output of the already competent IOS programmer.

It kicks off with a highly useful "what's new" section, which should provide you with pointers to IOS 7's innovative features into which you may wish to dig deeper. The rest of the book is devoted to those discrete functional areas which, traditionally, can provide pitfalls for developers; Custom Drawing, Caching, Core Animation, Multitasking, Security, Bluetooth Support, Performance, Multi-Platform Support and the all-important Testing and Debugging are covered in significant depth here.

As a comparative neophyte myself to IOS 7 (but having developed on other platforms), I must confess that much of this book currently goes way over my head. In fact, initially, it was only the chapter on Fancy Text formatting that was of immediate use to me. This book is, however, so well-written and comprehensive that it will certainly encourage me to stretch my very modest skills and dabble in some of the more arcane areas. If you're only just past the "hello world" stage though, I wouldn't even think about purchasing this yet.

It's well-indexed and a web site link is provided for you to download the accompanying sample code files.

Only criticisms are that the emphasis seems to be less on teaching (there are no tutorials as such) and more on presenting the reader with a series of fait accomplis examples, with the inference being "See? That's how you should have done it!". Oh and the warning "Not for the timid or novice" should have been in big letters on the front cover!

If you're an already experienced IOS developer though, this treasure trove of tips and underlying knowledge should be an essential purchase.

Corona Small Sideboard
Corona Small Sideboard
Price: 94.36

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable results for the price but quite fiddly assembly, 19 Jun 2014
OK, I'll admit that I'm not God's gift to DIY, but I've assembled plenty of Ikea and Homebase units before and I cannot recall anything quite as awkward as this. The instructions are rather confusing, with tiny diagrams and numbered panels not matching the letters marked on the actual panels. Also don't make the mistake that I did and use the wrong (flat head) screws early in the assembly, only to find you are left with the wrong (same length but raised head) screws to attach the drawer sides. I couldn't face disassembling what I'd done, so a trip to my local hardware store to buy further screws was necessary.

Delivery was pretty quick - 4 days, but the box came slightly battered and one of the panels was chipped. Not bad enough to merit returning it though and, as this is supposed to have a vaguely rustic/distressed look, I suppose that's no big deal. The drawers are basic affairs using side-mount wooden sliders which would probably benefit from some waxing to improve movement.

I recommend you spend some time laying out all the parts and relabelling them with temporary sticky notes once you've matched them up with the instructions. Then allow around 4 hours or so for assembly. An electric screwdriver is a good investment here, although be aware that several screws need to go into small recessed holes, so a small, manual screwdriver will be required too.

Overall, the finished product doesn't look bad and,at under a ton, represents undeniably decent value for money for solid wood furniture, rather than veneer. Unless you're a competent DIYer though, you may want to pay a bit more for something ready-assembled.

Mr Muscle Oxy Stain Remover Fresh Scent
Mr Muscle Oxy Stain Remover Fresh Scent
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful and effective product for pet owners, 9 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Occasionally, my very stupid cat will have a little accident (or perhaps is just too lazy to go out through the cat flap when she's taken short), leaving me with a damp little corner and a very catty smell in the morning. Previously, I had made up my own mixture of Vanish, white wine vinegar and washing up liquid to clean up and deodorize. This Mr Muscle Oxy Stain Remover is even more effective than my patented recipe at removing stains and the tell-tale (tail?) smell. It's not particularly cheap, but you don't need a huge amount to do the job and as (hopefully!) I won't need it all that often, I reckon it's money well spent.

2 Metre Premium Toslink Digital Optical SPDIF Audio Cable - Digital audio cable , Compatible with PS3,Sky HD, HDtvs, Blu-rays, AV Amps, Superior-grade optical fiber to deliver better clarity and transfer digital signal
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)
Price: 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - can't fault it, 8 Jun 2014
My original optical lead, which cost around 4 times the price of this one, had developed an intermittent fault after some 18 months use. I didn't want to pay high street prices again, so I plumped for this one. Arrived after 3 days and the 5.1 surround sound from my Sky box has now been restored to perfect working order!

Obviously only time will tell how long this one will last but, so far so good. Excellent value for money!

Tacwise Heavy Duty 53 Series Staples 8mm (2000)
Tacwise Heavy Duty 53 Series Staples 8mm (2000)
Price: 2.68

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality staples at a very reasonable price, 5 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Difficult to get very enthusiastic about something as mundane as staples, but these seem to be very good quality - never jam up and, when used with a Tacwise staple gun, drive into even fairly hard wood with ease. Quick delivery at just a couple of days and very decent value for money too.

2 Meter Telescopic Hose Fed Flow Through Wash Brush
2 Meter Telescopic Hose Fed Flow Through Wash Brush
Offered by EuroCarParts
Price: 10.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Looked used and unable to extend, 31 May 2014
Arrived after 5 days and my suspicions were aroused immediately, because from the marks on it and state of the brush bristles, it looked as if this were a used and returned product. Next disappointment was that it is impossible to extend, as the inner aluminium tube was completely jammed in place. I tried to extend it and couldn't. My neighbour - a builder, couldn't. My son, a champion power-lifter couldn't. So, for cleaning my conservatory roof, which would require the full advertised 2 metre extension, this brush is useless. I will contact the supplier for a refund. Very disappointing.

EXPANDING GARDEN HOSE PIPE As seen on TV 50FT
EXPANDING GARDEN HOSE PIPE As seen on TV 50FT
Offered by best deal 4 u
Price: 13.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Big improvement over traditional hoses, 31 May 2014
Just used this hose for the first time to wash our conservatory roof and have to admit that I am quite impressed. Turn on the water and the hose seems to come alive - uncoiling like some great blue snake. Don't think I quite got 50ft out of the thing, but not far off. The complementary spray gun attachment does the job perfectly from a fine spray to to high-pressure jet. Just be aware that, when you turn off the water and disconnect the hose from the tap, there is still a considerable amount of water under pressure in the hose and it will squirt out at a hefty rate of knots! After use, it contracts to its original very compact size. Doubt if it will last as long as more rigid hoses but so far so good!

BLUE 50FT Expandable Garden Flexible Hose & Spray Gun

Rapesco Supaclip 60 Dispenser with 8 Clips
Price: 5.82

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple but elegant alternative to stapling, 24 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Supaclip device is a nicely engineered solution to holding documents together without damaging them with stapling. Whilst clearly not quite as secure as stapling, this still secures 10 to 60 sheets of paper to a reasonable degree. The big bonus here is that you can simply slip the clip off when you want to reorganise your document. Furthermore, unlike staples, Supaclips are fully reusable, so the 8 that come ready-installed in the device and the supplementary pack of 25 should last you a long time. I do like the look of the colour-coded clips though, so will treat myself to a pack of those Rapesco Supaclip 40 Refill Clips for 40 Sheets of 80gsm Multicoloured Ref RC4050MC [Pack of 50]. More compact and portable than a stapler too, the Supaclip can easily slip into a shirt pocket. There's even a nice satisfying 'snap' when you apply a clip! Ideal for home or office use.

**** Update ****

Now, after a couple of days' serious use, I found that the unit can jam up occasionally, with one of the reserve clips getting stuck underneath the blue sliding button. Needed a bit of tapping on my desk to reseat the clips properly. Slightly annoying, but no big deal and I still reckon this handy little device merits 4 stars.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20