Profile for Mr. J. Hulme > Reviews

Tea With Mussolini (1999) [DVD]
Tea With Mussolini (1999) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Cher

4.0 out of 5 stars Tanks a lot!!!, 22 April 2007
This film is a mighty one, from the great/dark atmosphere of the times, the stunning locations and what a cast, Maggie Smith, Joan Plowright, Judi Dench, Lily Tomlin and Cher. Superb, or you would think?

Then the illusion came crashing down for me and I was brought back to reality that I was just watching a film. German troops entering San Gimignano, some riding on a tank. The tank in question is an American Sherman tank, with German insignias painted on. Luckily this was far into the film. How can a director of Franco Zefferelli stature allow sure a cheap stunt to happen. Is it a case that this film is directed mainly at a woman audience!

Even Captain Corellis mandolin had the right tanks, and tea is a better film by half.

Hence the four stars only. A glaring mistake...........
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2012 3:38 PM BST

We're No Angels [DVD] [1955]
We're No Angels [DVD] [1955]
Dvd ~ Humphrey Bogart
Offered by angel_bookstore

5.0 out of 5 stars Bogey Man is funny........., 22 April 2007
This review is from: We're No Angels [DVD] [1955] (DVD)
This film is the sort you should watch on rainy Sunday afternoon. Where you are transported to a better time and world. It's one of those films which when finished you almost wake from a trance/dream state. You first thoughts or words are that was a great film.

In this farce Bogart plays a blinder, comical to some degree, pulled off masterly by a class actor. Was this Bogart showing another side to the audiences in the future, saying I am no hard man. In fact in this film he sings, alongside Aldo Ray and Peter Ustinov. Who also put in some cracking performances. Basil Rathbone is the charcter you love to hate, it is almost a pantomime in parts. Played to in my case an audience of one. But still loved every moment.

Here's looking at you kid.

The Genesis Songbook [DVD] [2006]
The Genesis Songbook [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Genesis

5.0 out of 5 stars Should Be Shown at skool, 22 April 2007
Love it. I bought this basically because it was cheap. I still have loads of Genesis videos, so this was my first Genesis DVD. A quick portrait of the author, I have seen them 3 times, Knebworth twice, Roundhay twice. Forever on a downer not seeing Gabriel or Hackett with them. Not seeing them this tour, because them two are not back and hated that they do a medley of their best stuff and play new stuff full.

Get It?

So it was a big deal me buying this. But it was great, to a genesis fan who has nearly? If not all what they have done and the individauls have done as well.

It is worth the money, interesting, never boring and it will show these jokers who just like Genesis from Invisible Touch what they are missing.

Munich  [DVD]
Munich [DVD]
Dvd ~ Geoffrey Rush
Offered by Todays Great Deal

2.0 out of 5 stars Not 7 golds this time................., 22 April 2007
This review is from: Munich [DVD] (DVD)
Watched this film last night for the first time. I remember the time, I was in Germany as a 12 year old when this horror unfolded. So I had an interest.

I quickly lost that watching this, I could not connect with the characters, apart for Daniel Craig's, which was slightly disturbing. It is very good in some parts and good in some other parts but overall bland. Like an odd oasis in a wilderness of sand. Not exciting either, also it was so very long.

So I didn't much like it. At this bargain price though, I am not sorry that I bought it. As I will watch it again. Maybe not in the near future.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 8, 2009 5:55 PM BST

In the City of Angels
In the City of Angels

3.0 out of 5 stars Betcha can do better, next time? Please......, 21 April 2007
This review is from: In the City of Angels (Audio CD)
This is a poor showing by Mr Anderson. My favourite track is For You track 6. But this only lasts 2mins 51 seconds. This is Anderson at his best, but I expect more then almost 3 minutes, where he hits the target. All right it's a bulls eye, but the rest in varying degrees sailed by or fail to reach it by a long way. Don't get me wrong it is all listenable. But I hoped for more. Hurry home, last track, is there at times, when I can be bothered to be generous.

Overall it is here, there and not really anywhere. Sorry Jon, must try harder.

Circle Of One
Circle Of One
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Adams Apple, 20 April 2007
This review is from: Circle Of One (Audio CD)
This is a great album. Great songs, lovely mood to it. But the one stand out song, that is head and shoulders above the rest? Is You've got to give me room. That is s spine tingling classic, what range and control, tear invoking at it's best.

Overall. If you are new to Oleta, get this, it is the best. All good songs. Remember the best's of do not have You've got to give me room. That is worth the money alone.

Gift
Gift
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Wot No Chariots, 14 April 2007
This review is from: Gift (Audio CD)
You better believe it, a best of/come compilation CD without the Chariots of fire tune. Don't get me wrong I think Vangelis is great and only misses the target every now and then. But chariots has been played to overkill. When it appears on other best of Vangelis type CD's I normally skip it.

Gift... is an excellent bunch of tunes. A kind of young persons guide to the true genius of Vangelis. It also has Mr Jon Anderson singing like a free Canary on the wing, on the glorious track 8. So Long Ago So Clear and sadly in my view it has been. I have loved Vangelis since a teenager from the time of Heaven and Hell album. It was a mind blowing experience, as things were so fresh back then. This CD has also the fantastic 12 o'clock, track 10. What voices, in fact these give Mr Anderson a good race, but sadly lose on a photo finish. Then the operatic style voice on track 12 Glorianna, and it is.

Ever wondered what to get someone from the vast Vangelis catalogue? Get this, you and they will not be disappointed. I have to go as the bell from the end of track 10 is calling me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2015 6:24 PM GMT

Live Tapes
Live Tapes

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Live album ever?, 14 April 2007
This review is from: Live Tapes (Audio CD)
Listen is the key word to this album. Everything that is good about Barclay James Harvest is on this album, Not a bum track. Enuff said!

Poco - Pickin' Up the Pieces [DVD]
Poco - Pickin' Up the Pieces [DVD]
Dvd ~ DELETED-POCO

4.0 out of 5 stars Get over it, 14 April 2007
If you have never heard Poco's music this is a good place to start. What is Poco's music, it has it's roots in Buffalo Springfield. It is a kind of soft rock country, similar to the Eagles in many respects. Though a band member holds a grudge against them and Don Henley, as Poco has lost two Bass guitarists to them. So that says a lot to their high standards.

At this price you can not go wrong and their are a few corkers on this dvd and some good tracks. All listenable, buy it.

In The Court Of The Crimson King [Original Master Edition]
In The Court Of The Crimson King [Original Master Edition]
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars Why the long Face?, 14 April 2007
This is a great album.
Play it, enjoy?
All the tracks are great, the voice is great. Mr Greg Lake to thank, artwork is great.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8