Profile for Mr. J. Hulme > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Page of Life
Page of Life

4.0 out of 5 stars Well done sir, 25 April 2007
This review is from: Page of Life (Audio CD)
Certainly there are some classic and stunning tracks. But why ruin it with money, we don't need this sort of bringing down to the harsh realities of life from these two superb dreamsetters. Maybe there are people who need telling how crappy their sad existence is, personally I like Roger Waters to tell me. With Jon and Vangelis, I want to skippy dippy about smelling the flowers and wearing the odd one in my hair. When they do this kind of thing it's like getting a sharp stone in your favourite sandals or stubbing your toe. It bloody hurts and no matter how sunny it is, for a split second or two you can not see or feel the cosy warm glow of the sun, just pain. Also what the hell is Jazzy box, count your blessings Mr Anderson didn't try and do a Cleo Laine. I would have bibbidee and bobbidee right out of there sharpish. The only nice touch to this track is the tipping of Vangelis's hat in the direction of the great Fred Astaire.

Genevieve is a great love song, before I heard this song? Whenever I heard the name Genevieve I would think Larry Alder and his mouth organ. But no more, surely this is what love is..............

Little Guitar:What a great way to end this CD, nice piece.

Let's be positive it is a very good CD, 10 great tracks, a CD 's worth right there.
A welcome addition to anyones collection.

Short Stories
Short Stories
Price: 6.69

2.0 out of 5 stars Meanderings........., 25 April 2007
This review is from: Short Stories (Audio CD)
I got this not long after it's release and in my opinion it is disjointed as the reviewer said who called Mr Anderson a beegie. The single I hear you know, was so different and special back then, that I had to hear more. I wish I hadn't bothered, this vinyl was almost in mint condition apart from one track. Could have saved money and just bought the single.

So I bought it on CD , primary reason to fill a gap in the CD collection, 9.99 from Andy's once again. I have played it once or twice since getting it, now thrice and my opinion hasn't changed, it is not good. I have to fight the urge not to put something better on. Friends Of Mr Cairo is a far better CD.

Short Stories put me of getting Friends of Mr Cairo. Luck had it that I was at someone's house gathering and it was particularly boring. The host wanted to show off his record collection. Mr Cairo was the best of his abysmal collection and headphones to listen to this unknown pleasure. It was glorious, apart from the dust.

Starting a Jon + Vanglis collection? The price is good. That's the only thing!

Radio Gnome Invisible Part II: Angels Egg
Radio Gnome Invisible Part II: Angels Egg
Offered by eamons_emporium
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Lets get this straight, It's called Angels Egg!!!!!!, 25 April 2007
If you want a hippy, new age, musical journey, then? Hop aboard. Don't know who is driving this bus or care? But the journey will be unforgettable. Don't bogart that joint, does my bum look big in this kaftan? Get yourself comfortable cos it's POT HEADED PIXIE inspired music.

The mesmerising guitar work of Steve Hillage {what is it about guitarists called Steve} on track 3 Castle In The Clouds.

Prostitute Poem:track 4 is a classic,it's like being on the Moulin rouge. That short geezer had better not paint my picture.

Givin all my love to you: Track 5. It's like you have stumbled into a pub circa 1914.

The words, the sounds and the smells? Are truly amazing. It is hard to keep up, if you have to try, but if you relax and chill, it is easy and rewarding.

Track after track is different and unique in a good way. If you have never heard this group, I would strongly recommend you buy this, turn the lights down and light a josh stick and such like. It's worth a listen you lucky people.

Spectral Mornings
Spectral Mornings
Offered by dutchtoni
Price: 19.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful stuff, 25 April 2007
This review is from: Spectral Mornings (Audio CD)
Don't know what it is about guitarists called Steve, but I love them. Hackett or Howe. In this case the maestro is Steve hackett, what an exceptional album. The feel, atmosphere whatever is amazing, awesome..... I bought the DVD Horizons a couple of months ago, where he performs Everday and Clocks, to see the master at work! I had to play all my Hackett stuff after watching it.

I must invest in the Remastered version, for the bonus tracks.

It's funny how he can transport you where he likes and with so little effort. The Red Flower Of Tachai Blooms Everywhere is beautiful. Clocks is so powerful, all of this album is great.

Deseo
Deseo
Price: 20.15

4.0 out of 5 stars Spanish Fly........... it works for me!, 24 April 2007
This review is from: Deseo (Audio CD)
I like this CD a lot. It has a great feel to it. You can feel a samba in youself. That is very good, as I don't dance so don't ask me. It might help that I don't understand many of the lyrics. My favourite is track 5 Floresta: it has a great voice and he might be telling me I am a tosser. But I don't care, it is great. Track 6 Cafe: is great as well. Track 9 Midnight Dancing: is spellblinding.

This is a great CD and hopefully the man from Madrid might get over it. Seeing I don't understand Spanish, I love it. Half the time you can not understand what the hell Mr Anderson is on about anyway, so what's new?

Olias of Sunhillow
Olias of Sunhillow
Price: 5.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Captain's Log...... Good going all the way, 24 April 2007
This review is from: Olias of Sunhillow (Audio CD)
This has remained my favourite Jon Anderson creation. I was there at it's birth, my older brother bought it, when it came out. Each member of Yes released a solo album, this was far the best.When he was playing it I grew to love it more and when he was out, then I was playing it. Jon Anderson at his magical best. It is like being in the dwarves mine in Snow White, gems are everyway, some hidden and but the majority are there on view.
Hey-Hoy

Us & Them: Symphonic Pink Floyd [CASSETTE]
Us & Them: Symphonic Pink Floyd [CASSETTE]

5.0 out of 5 stars CPR to a CD?, 24 April 2007
Cover artwork by Roger Dean, music of Pink Floyd performed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra. You now it's going to be class and it is.

I bought my CD at a second hand stall at St Albans market. It cost me 7.50, rip off? No way, as I have played this to death. My CD is poorly, cough cough, scatch and a jump, not long for this world. Sorry but a cassette is just not good enough. I suppose it is if you haven't heard it before.

With this CD I also got a mint booklet, maybe the previous owner didn't realise it was there. Not counting the covers, there are eight pages to the booklet. Pieces written by the arranger Jaz Coleman and Roger Dean. Good read.

All the tracks are glorious, my favourite is track 8 Nobody Home. It starts with the orchestra sweeping in and washing over you. Then a lone, almost Yiddish sounding violin takes over, very moving. The two pieces called Time, first track and last track are different. In fact the the last track time, is called in brackets {THE OLD TREE WITH WINDING ROOTS BEHIND THE LAKE OF DREAMS MIX} This has the noise of a sleeping dragon, I kid you not! Epic.

So if you happen to come across this in a shop? Don't take it to heart if you are pushed to oneside by a desperate man who grabs it. My need is greater than yours, forgive me. As I have a CD at home waiting for it's last rites, goodbye old friend.Sob.

Symphonic Music of Yes
Symphonic Music of Yes
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Schoolboys Dream, 24 April 2007
This review is from: Symphonic Music of Yes (Audio CD)
This is a great piece of work. Does it work? I feel that it does with a resounding YES. There is a slight echo that says maybe not on two tracks in my opinion, I've seen all good people and Owner of a lonely heart. I feel they should not be on. Sorry

There are some fantastics pieces like, Mood for a day, Survival is even more heart breaking 'where is the bloody mother bird'. Soon has the spoken word supplied by Mr Howe.

I bought this back in '93 and still playing it a couple of times a year without fail. Back then it cost me 17.99, which was a lot of money as I had a young family at the time. But I have never regretted it. I bought it at the now defunct Andy's record shop in Halifax. Raced home and put it on and melted into the sofa.

I have loved Yes since I was a schoolboy in the early seventies, when most kids where into Slade T.Rex and Gary Glitter. In my young pompous mind I dream't that Yes should be played this way as I thought their music was the modern classics, of course with a few choice other bands.

If you are sick of pumping money into the not so great Yes pension fund, like I? Meaning the endless compilation albums of them live on bargain priced CD on some Mickey Mouse label. Or you are not interested in what some bleeding distant relative did or the man down the street managed on the spoons with the odd duff recording of Yes. Thanks Eagle.

Then worry no more, this is Yes played by the London Philharmonic Orchestra. Input and playing by Steve Howe, Jon Anderson and Bill Bruford. Just Glorious.

Please invest this small amount of money for this great body of work. When Yes were at their best.

Pictures At An Exhibition
Pictures At An Exhibition
Offered by classicmusic
Price: 15.89

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't Make An Exhibition Of Yourself,........ELP have, 24 April 2007
I have liked ELP for along time, I can still remember getting the free floppy Brain Salad Surgery record with the New Musical Express. You placed this on a single to give it some rigidity and then it was played. This was a sample of the forth coming album. Nice Idea. This waffle is to inform you that I have known ELP music for quite a while. Also I love Greg Lakes voice, if you do? Then check out In the court of the crimson king by King Crimson.

Promenade: Starts of well. The great recognised tune is there. Like being in a church, sounds good. Anyone who loves the hammond organ would be in his element. Unfortunately I am not a lover, I like moogs and well played syns. Anyone who sticks knives into his organ is preeety strange to me.

Then there is the angelic voice of Greg lake singing to the tune of promenade track 3. What is he saying 'Chocolate tears', who cares? But its only 1 minute 23 seconds, far too short. He is back on track 4, lovely guitar and his voice is paradise. Still don't know what he is on about. Must be good though.

I bought this really to fill the gaps in my CD collection. So I wasn't expecting much. So I wasn't disappointed, you can understand why John Peel turned his back on this sort of music. Full of their own self importance, the production on this abysmal. Tracks are cut off brutally, but in some cases you are quite happy for the silence. I remember back in the heady days of the early 70's this was one of the albums bought to prove you were a fan, but hardly played! Maybe the Greg Lakes songs were played on a regular basis at first, but it was so much hard work back then. To get the record out without touching the playing surface and a job in itself of putting the needle just so, to play what you wanted. I am surprised that this generation wasn't always at hospital getting there hair cut from their turn tables. In this age of CD I will bang it on to hear the glorious Mr lake.

Greg Lake doesn't do it for me on track 9 though, and that bloody organ.
Better effort Mr lake on track 11, ruined by that ****ing organ. Talk about a one trick pony. If you want to hear classical music done with a modern feel then listen to Tomita's Snowflakes are dancing. If you do enjoy this CD totally, see a doctor.

This is a great piece of music done badly. the only reason it has stars at all is for the odd bit of none irritating music and of course the Great Greg Lakes Voice on 2 tracks. Unfortunately you get extra with this CD, just what you don't bloody need you might think? But then there is Greg Lakes Voice and his lovely song The Sage. Superb.

You know it is funny after over 30 odd years my original opinion has not changed!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2010 12:14 AM BST

Me Myself I
Me Myself I
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 6.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Joan Armaplating, 23 April 2007
This review is from: Me Myself I (Audio CD)
This is a great cd and has a special place in my heart. I played it to death back in the eighties in my sad and lonely existence. I play it from time to time if I need to feel it, like a favourite weepy DVD, this does it for me. It has good up tempo songs and some of the saddest songs you will encounter anywhere, such raw emotion.

My favourite special songs are

[3] Friends: Great song, great voice, great lyrics such feeling.

[5] Turn out the light: Ditto

[7] All the way from America: I defy anyone not to sing a long to this, once you heard it, next time you can not stop yourself. oh the pain.

[10] I need you: This is the ultimate sad song. Mournful strings and the words are so cutting and true.

It's good all the way through. But if for some reason you need to feel sad then, programme the CD player these numbers, they will certainly take you there. Men need to feel sad as well. Five star treatment.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2011 10:12 PM GMT