Profile for Will > Reviews

Biblical Nonsense: A Review of the Bible for Doubting Christians
Biblical Nonsense: A Review of the Bible for Doubting Christians
by Jason Dr Long

1.0 out of 5 stars Always read the reviews!, 19 Mar. 2013
I did not, and wasted my money!

I started the book and did not like the language. This, like all the other negative aspects, is pointed out in many of the ** reviews which I only read when I put the book aside in the middle of the chapter on Noah's flood. Pointless! People who know that is a myth do not need a scientific refutation, and believers will not be persuaded by whatever scientific arguments are thrown at them.

I also found it extremely irritating to see "Dr. Jason Long" on every other page. This man must have worked very hard to get his title!

I do not want trade in or pass on this book, and will recycle it as waste paper.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2013 11:17 PM BST

Jesus Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible (and Why We Don't Know About Them)
by Bart D. Ehrman

5.0 out of 5 stars A Bible Scholar's journey, 25 Feb. 2013
I have just finished reading this excellent book. Ehrmann describes how his original view
that the Bible is the inspired word of God was changed by studying the New Testament
not from a devotional but from a historic-critical point of view.

As he repeatedly stresses, what he learned as a student, and what he now teaches at University
and presents in his book has been known for a hundred years or more, a fact
that some of the reviewers just do not want to acknowledge.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It made me aware that both a horizontal reading of the Bible
which reveals numerous inconsistencies, and the vertical reading of each gospel, which will
explain these discrepancies, is required.

Most of the highlights of the book have been described in detail by a number of ***** reviewers.
It is a shame that reviewers who rate Ehrman's book * or **, are unable to understand the
cogent arguments put forward, and simply refute them by saying "Ehrmann is wrong, because the
Bible tells us differently, and after all, the Bible is the word of God". I am convinced that
they would not change their minds, even if Jesus himself told them that some (most?) stories
about him reported in the gospels are not true.

Motherpeace Tarot Guidebook
Motherpeace Tarot Guidebook
by Karen Vogel

3.0 out of 5 stars Just a present!, 4 Feb. 2013
I bought this book for a friend.
She used to have a copy, but she lent it to somebody, and never got it back.
She was pleased with the present, but she thought that her original book
was more comprehensive!
Maybe there are different editions of this book!

From 0 to Infinity in 26 Centuries: The extraordinary story of maths
From 0 to Infinity in 26 Centuries: The extraordinary story of maths
by Chris Waring

3.0 out of 5 stars An Intriguing Title but ..., 4 Feb. 2013
The title of the book reminded me of George Gamow's classic "One, Two, Three ... Infinity" of 1947.
Nothing in common with this book!

The book is a thumbnail sketch of the history of mathematics. As a (retired) mathematician, it did not
enhance my knowledge.

The book is well written, and I passed it on to a dear friend who was absolutely fascinated with it.
He is not a mathematician, but he used to know a lot about mathematics before he was diagnosed
with dementia. In this book he rediscoverd facts that he had forgotten (like the "birthday problem").

I recommend this book. It is a gentle introduction, but the later chapters may be more challenging.

An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers
An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers
by G. H. Hardy

4.0 out of 5 stars An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers, 15 Nov. 2010
I have owned a hard-back copy of this book (4th edition) since 1964, when I was still a student. At that time there were not many books on number theory available, and as far as I remember, Hardy-Wright used to be recommended as the best book in the field. I had always regretted the absence of an index, which made it very difficult to use the book.
I have been aware of more recent editions of the book, and finally decided to purchase the latest edition a few days ago. What an improvement! Even though the old style notation and terminology has been preserved, the notes have been updated to include more recent results, and a a new chapter on elliptic curves has been added. An index is now in place, but it could be more detailed.
One must not forget that the book is directed to students of mathematics and practising mathematicians. Comments made about the book by other people should be read with care.