Profile for Pete > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Master Lock 1520EURD 59mm Resettable Combination Padlock
Master Lock 1520EURD 59mm Resettable Combination Padlock

5.0 out of 5 stars BIG DIGITS!, 5 Mar. 2016
Built like a tank and huge numbers for those of us who can't use other combination locks without reading glasses! The dials are very easy to turn as there are big lugs around the dials. They've been using the same design for at least 10 years, so it's tried and trusted.

WD 1TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - Caviar Blue
WD 1TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - Caviar Blue
Offered by Adognicosto

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, but you'll need other bits, 28 Dec. 2014
A doddle to put in but remember that you'll also need:
1) A SATA III (6 Gb/s) data cable
2) A SATA power cable
3) 4 PC mounting screws (search "StarTech SCREW6_32" in Amazon)

You may well be able to reuse some or all of the above from an old HDD you're replacing. Also, you'll usually find that, (even if you're installing a 2nd HDD), there may well be a spare SATA power cable hanging loose in the PC, just waiting for that 2nd drive.
Installing this to replace my old, knackered C drive was a doddle, but it then took, me a couple of days to restore my system properly from my Norton Ghost 15 backup. Tips: restore by "System" rather than "restore point" or "files" and then you'll need to delete a spurious boot option installed by Ghost (it's a bug in Ghost 15) using the command bcdedit.

StarTech Replacement PC Mounting Screws Long Standoff - 50 Pack SCREW6_32
StarTech Replacement PC Mounting Screws Long Standoff - 50 Pack SCREW6_32

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for general PC work, 28 Dec. 2014
Perfect size for general PC work. Crucially, short enough to not damage HDD installation and the heads are much better gripped by my screwdriver than the ones that came with my Dell computer.

Electric / Gas Meter Box Key Long Reach Version
Electric / Gas Meter Box Key Long Reach Version
Offered by WALO

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to use!, 28 Dec. 2014
Seems silly, but I really love this key. It slots absolutely perfectly into my outside gas meter cabinet, with the round shape being a perfect fit for the round hole and the triangular slot being perfect too. Also notable is the lovely, weighty solidity of the key.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Fine, 28 Dec. 2014
Easy to plug in and worked 1st time. Hope it lasts as long as the last one (5 years). I'll update this if it fails early.

Logitech 2.4 inch Harmony Touch Universal Remote Control for Home Entertainment System
Offered by easy Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable successor to the Harmony One, 28 Dec. 2014
It's the only real alternative to the old Logitech Harmony One which they don't make anymore. It doesn't have the same great feel in the hand the Harmony One used to have and feels less solid to BUT it does everything you'll need it to (after you've spent a few hours customising it of course).
I was worried that there were so many fewer buttons on this (compared to the Harmony One) and that I wouldn't be able to get it to do everything BUT the buttons allow you to program for "long" or "short" presses, so you do have enough scope. For example, I have the "menu" button set up to give me the general menu on a short press and the list of recorded programmes on my PVR with long press.
If you're moving from the Harmony One you'll also be annoyed that you have to download a completely new and different package of software to set up and customise the Harmony Touch. Having said that, it does all seem to work fine, if slowly.
I do use the touch screen, but think it's a bit of a gimmick and wish it just had more buttons instead (just my opinion here) as the screen doesn't always respond at the 1st touch. Particulary annoying is the fact that the "play", "fast frd/back", "pause" buttons, etc are all at the very top of the device, so less easily reachable with a single hand.
To summarise - good, flexible remote - minus 1-star for seriously compromised ergonomics.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Pedometer, 28 Dec. 2014
I did quite a bit of research to find the best pedometer around and chose this one. I've had it about 6 months now and it works flawlessly. The things I like about it are:
1) It's "tri-axis" which means you can put it in ANY pocket (including jacket) or handbag in any orientation and it will detect each and every step without fail (as far as I'm able to tell).
2) It's very small and slim so you don't notice you're carrying it. I generally have it in the coin pocket of my jeans.
3) It seems reliable. No problems in the 1st 6 months and still on 1st, cheap little battery.
4) It distinguishes "aerobic" walking (i.e. reasonably fast walking) from slow ambling, recording them together and separately, so you can see if you're doing enough vigorous walking (though you don't have to be walking very fast to count as "aerobic").
The other advantages are pretty much what you'd get with many pedometers - 7-day memory, distance recorded (once you've calibrated it with your pace length). A great motivational aid.

Nordlux Blokhus Galvanized Steel Outdoor Wall Light with Sensor
Nordlux Blokhus Galvanized Steel Outdoor Wall Light with Sensor

4.0 out of 5 stars Pricey, but worth it, 25 Nov. 2014
I've had 2 of these about 6 months now and they're still both working well. The sensor is very sensitive and picks up movement from quite a distance away (not sure why another reviewer has had problems with that - faulty item maybe).
Before buying this I'd tried a couple of the most popular stainless steel lights, but both these stopped working properly (in different ways) and started to look very rusty quite quickly. Although these lights aren't smooth and shiny (being galvanised), I expect them to last quite a few years and not corrode like the others.
There's no adjustment for sensitivity or light duration, but I'm happy about that as I hate faffing about with those adjustments and the preset values seem to be very well chosen with the light activating at just the right level of gloominess. It's easy to turn the light on for a longer (5 hour) period, by just flipping the light switch off and on a couple of times - very simple and elegant solution - just flip off and on again to resume normal security mode.
Be careful when installing. I noticed the following:
- The rawplugs are a bit too short for the supplied screws. I made do with them but should probably have got longer ones.
- When screwing on the face plate, be careful not to trap one of the power wires in the screw housing. This happened to me both times I installed my lights, crushing the wire the first time. Just make sure to push the wires to one side of the fixing screws.

Merrell Sprint Blast, Men's Lace-Up Trainer Shoes - Green (Gunsmoke/White), 10 UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality and Comfort, 1 Oct. 2014
Such a great fit and very high quality construction. I find I can walk for miles in Merrells without any soreness but they look a lot cooler than more "sensible" walking shoes and are much smarter than ordinary trainers.

It's not my favourite colour (I prefer the natural, brown leather look), but they'll go well with lighter trousers.

Canon MG5350 Pixma Inkjet All-In-One Airprint A4 Printer
Canon MG5350 Pixma Inkjet All-In-One Airprint A4 Printer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performer, but pricey consumables, 20 Dec. 2013
I love this prnter/copier/scanner. All the functions work superbly, but Canon consumables (ie ink) are very expensive, so I'd check out the compatible offerings. Another great tip is to not use the auto-wakeup function, but keep it on all the time. The reason for this is that when you use auto-wakeup, every time it wakes up it flushes out its inks, so that's why you can get through your ink cartridges really quickly, even though you don't actually print much.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5