Profile for Jamal > Reviews

Content by Jamal

Jamal (UK)

Lords And Ladies: (Discworld Novel 14) (Discworld Novels)
Lords And Ladies: (Discworld Novel 14) (Discworld Novels)
by Terry Pratchett

4.0 out of 5 stars Terry Pratchet's Lords and Ladies, 30 April 2010
Lords and Ladies: A Discworld Novel
Maybe I'm getting old and that ole 'been there done that' attitude has set in. Not a bad comic novel, though I much preferred Making Money (Discworld Novels). I do like characters doing unexpected things as in some Tom Sharpe books, but in this book the' unexpected things' done by characters were in my opinion a little lightweight and instead of a belly laugh I found myself exhibiting a sort of etiquette laughter. I bought this book on it's 5 star rating but I wasn't 5 star entertained.

The House of Wisdom: How the Arabs Transformed Western Civilization
The House of Wisdom: How the Arabs Transformed Western Civilization
by Jonathan Lyons

4.0 out of 5 stars The House of Wisdom: How the Arabs Transformed Western Civilization, 13 April 2009
No doubt a good read but I was a bit miffed that the diagram by al- Biruni on the even side of page 111 is a mirror image or rather it is back to front. I paid 20 pounds for the hard back version and I expect a little more care should have taken place in proof reading the Arabic document mentioned.