Profile for R. P. Edwards > Reviews

Content by R. P. Edwards

R. P. Edwards (UK)

The Twitch: Birdwatching can be murder...
The Twitch: Birdwatching can be murder...
by Kevin Parr

4.0 out of 5 stars takes Twitching to a new level, 15 Feb. 2015
If your'e a birder and follow the UK twitching scene then this will undoubtedly appeal and prove to be a most entertaining read as it was for me. Some of the records are a bit askew but as a work of fiction I was left feeling I knew certain characteristics of most of the birders Kevin had concocted - murdering the competition apart you understand!

A Message from Martha: The Extinction of the Passenger Pigeon and its Relevance Today (Natural History Narratives)
by Mark Avery

5.0 out of 5 stars best Christmas Present, 15 Feb. 2015
Mark is passionate about birds and the ecosystems they need to exist. I was therefore bound to rate this read highly and to recommend it to others like me who share this passion and the things that Mark cares about. Our nature is dwindling before our eyes on planet earth and Mark's book is a stark reminder that it doesn't have to be this way. Abundance should not lead to complacence given that science tells us so much more about our destructive actions on our environment that ever before. My best Christmas present although don't tell my wife that! :-)

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4, Upgrade Edition (Mac/PC)
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4, Upgrade Edition (Mac/PC)

1.0 out of 5 stars Lots of gizmos but eats RAM - can I have my money back?, 18 Dec. 2012
I have been disappointed since upgrading from v2.7. I have a PC running 32-bit Vista and 3Gb of memory is just not enough to process single images and with other applications shut down. I regularly get error messages trying to develop images or export as jpegs and have resorted to sticking with my old version which works with my camera RAW. Who knows, maybe LR5 or 6 will turn out really good - I hope so

Fighting for Birds: 25 Years in Nature Conservation
Fighting for Birds: 25 Years in Nature Conservation
by Mark Avery

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love Nature & Birds - buy this book, 19 Sept. 2012
This book appealed to my nature, Mark's nature too; of a British landscape where natural life is cherished and valued with no compromise. Amongst the good news stories, some battles already won perhaps, are also the ongoing battles. The deep trenches where the stakes are high whilst in a parallel world of sport, greed, finance, fuel, farming and greenhouse gases, nature is often unwelcome, unloved and in some cases,shot from our skies.
Loving our natural world is one thing, wanting to do some tangible and good about it is something much more and Mark's book is likely to rally that passion in you the reader, as it did me. I only wish that the RSPB and other NGOs can step up to fighting for birds and nature and to be balanced, opinionated, outspoken, controversial and up for the scrap that their members and the wildlife we care about, deserve.
My favorite pages?? 196-203 and 285 - A tragedy indeed!

Panasonic TX-L32G10B 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freesat - Installation Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars NewTV, 14 Jan. 2010
We've needed one of these for a long time. Superb picture quality and service from Amazon.