Profile for badger_hill > Reviews

Content by badger_hill

badger_hill (North Yorkshire, UK)

Fauré: Mélodies
Fauré: Mélodies

5.0 out of 5 stars The past revisited, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: Fauré: Mélodies (Audio CD)
I bought this recording when it was issued on pre-recorded cassette. I played the tape frequently and I am sure that now that I have the cd version, I shall do the same. The whole disc is a delight and a most welcome change from the german lieder that I tend to concentrate my listening-time upon.

Don Carlo [DVD] [2011]
Don Carlo [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Covent Garden Royal Opera

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good performance...., 10 Nov 2009
This review is from: Don Carlo [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
I purchased this dvd firstly because it is a good performance of a favourite & wonderful opera...& secondly, I was there at Covent Garden the night the recording was made. I was rather squashed, high-up on one side of the auditorium so I couldn't see part of the stage throughout the performance...so it has been good now to be able view the action from a frontal perspective. However, my position was ideal for getting a full blast from the brass section of the orchestra, which under Haitink's direction makes a formidable impact in this performance.
Ileana Cotrubas gives a fine performance as Elizabetta, full of feeling & sensitivity...you cannot help but sympathise with her. Both at the actual performance & on the dvd however, I was a little less convinced about Luis Lima as Don Carlo. Actually, his performance is very nuanced when looked-at from the perspective of a detailed characterisation of the historical character, who by accounts was 'unbalanced' to put it conservatively! But I'd become familiar with the opera with the Guilini cd set with Placido Domingo in the lead role...& although Placido's performance as Don Carlo is perhaps less convincing from a psychological perspective, I do prefer the vocal performance & indeed conductor Guilini's direction & interpretation of the score as a whole.
Giorgio Zancanaro as Rodrigo is in impressive voice, with a portrayal full of sincerity. He made a great impression on the night but actually the hit of the evening in the auditorium was Bruna Baglioni as Princess Eboli. Her voice was fully tested by the demands of the role it's fair to say but whether she was on particularly good form that night I don't know.... but she put in rather a barn-storming performance & the Covent Garden audience was suitably impressed. Perhaps it was an amalgam of it being a Live performance... from a singer not of the first rank maybe but who nevertherless rises to the occasion & fills the auditorium with passionate singing. But in her performance of 'O don fatale, o don crudel' she got the greatest ovation of the evening!
Robert Lloyd was also in resonant voice as Filippo II but I found his performance in the great fourth act aria 'Ella giammai m'amo!', a little bit 'over-produced' & consequently somewhat less moving as a result. But others may feel differently...it's a matter of personal taste.

In conclusion, any lover of the opera will want to hear/see this performance. The quality of the recorded sound is good enough, the visual quality is 'acceptable' but as I felt on the night of the performance, for me it was a very good performance but not a truly great one.

The Bourne Ultimatum [DVD] [2007]
The Bourne Ultimatum [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Matt Damon
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars What a load of nonsense..., 17 Dec 2007
I had really enjoyed the first two films in the series & took the chance to watch them again before I sat down to relish the 3rd episode. But the 'shakey-cam' style of presentation was increasingly off-putting. It's acceptable in fast action scenes but in scenes shot in a boardroom setting, it just irritates. The ongoing effect is so unnatural, it defeats the purpose of a style of presentation that is meant to give the impression of real-life.
Most films in this genre tend to stretch credulity in the chase and action scenes....that's part of their appeal...however, the action here is just incredibly unbelievable. What a load of tosh?! There's only so far that the imagination can be suspended and this film sadly goes way-over that limit. But when it gets SO daft, you've got to be desperate for something to like, to think that this film lives up to expectations.
If you've already enjoyed the first two films, there's no way you wouldn't want to see the film....but I've been so disappointed with it.