Profile for Virgilia > Reviews

Content by Virgilia

Virgilia (Spain)

The Cambridge Companion to Emily Dickinson (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
The Cambridge Companion to Emily Dickinson (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
by Wendy Martin

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 3 April 2013
I've read much by and about Emily Dickenson, but this book added absolutely nothing to my understanding of her. Instead of an honest analysis of her life and work, the reader is offered bits and pieces stuffed with the ideology of the writers. Moreover, the book is ridiculously overpriced.

Collected Poems
Collected Poems
by Sylvia Plath

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 April 2013
This review is from: Collected Poems (Paperback)
I cried my eyes out. Sylvia Plath is spectacular. Hers is the most original poetry by a female voice since Emily Dickenson.

King Lear [DVD]
King Lear [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ian McKellen
Offered by MediaMine

5.0 out of 5 stars King Lear, 21 April 2010
This review is from: King Lear [DVD] (DVD)
I can only say that when Shakespeare wrote King Lear, he had this performance in mind. McKellen is magnificent, but so is the rest of the cast. I never saw a better Goneril and Edmund truly gets under your skin. I recommend this DVD wholeheartedly to anyone who loves Shakespeare.

The Norton Anthology of English Literature: Middle Ages Through the Restoration and the Eighteenth Century v. 1
by Stephen Greenblatt

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide to early English literature, 8 Oct. 2009
I had to buy this book for my studies and thought it would be quite tedious. However, when I started reading, I was surprised at the beauty of the language, the large extracts and the general care with which everything has been done. The texts are clearly written by people who not only have a love for the English language, but also know how to communicate that enthusiasm.