Profile for RCSL > Reviews

Content by RCSL

RCSL

Low-carb & Gluten-free Vegetarian: Simple, Delicious Recipes for a Low-carb and Gluten-free Lifestyle
by Celia Brooks
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 16 Jan 2014
I was given a copy of this book as I'm keen to turn over a new leaf this year. It's fab. I'm not a strict veggie and do like to supplement some of the recipes with a bit of meat protein from time to time, but have to say that these recipes are all so wonderful I hardly need to. Obviously only tried a few so far (early days!) but am salivating at the prospect of so many of them. Celeriac soup has been especially yummy and the berry gratin was soooo good! Lovely pictures help too.

5:2 Vegetarian: Over 100 Fuss-free & Flavourful Recipes for the Fasting Diet
5:2 Vegetarian: Over 100 Fuss-free & Flavourful Recipes for the Fasting Diet
by Celia Brooks
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb - tasty recipes and you WILL lose weight, 7 Jan 2014
I've been following Celia Brooks' 5:2 adventures on her blog and am happy to say I've lost over a stone already using her delicious recipe ideas. I'm thrilled her book is finally out. It's quite hard to find really good veggie recipes for the diet (not sure why? as Celia points out, the diet is really made for veggies) but here there are loads. More than anything I've found it quite simple to do and felt healthier and not at all deprived. It's really changed my mindset. Although there are no pictures in the book, it's easy to get a sense of the recipes as Celia describes them really well. And they all seem to be super simple to cook too. Buy this book, you certainly won't be disappointed!

Soup!
Soup!
by Vava Berry
Price: 15.47

5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLY DELICIOUS, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: Soup! (Hardcover)
An amazing book, chock-full of gourmet soup loveliness. Can't recommended this one highly enough - it really is different to all the other books out there on soups. Gorgeous photos are very inspirational and the recipes are all so unique. LOVE IT!

Do-ahead Dinners: how to feed friends and family without the frenzy
Do-ahead Dinners: how to feed friends and family without the frenzy
by James Ramsden
Price: 13.60

5.0 out of 5 stars YUMMY, CLASSIC AND EASY-TO-FOLLOW. ADORE THIS BOOK.., 11 Nov 2013
I have shelves groaning with cookbooks - can't get enough of them - but have to say that not all of them find their way into the kitchen for use. This isn't one of those. Of all my recent additions, this is easily the most used. There are lots of classics and also lots of lovely original twists. It's robust food, which I like, and it is eminently suitable for entertaining. I've found it just as useful for creating family meals - indeed this is where my most need of 'do-ahead' food comes in. It's nice to find out just how long you can keep things for and also surprising what you can make so far in advance. The kids adore the jambalaya and I love the butternut squash with labneh. I'm also particularly fond of the chorizo twists - simple, but they go down a storm when you have friends for drinks. Love it.

Feasting with Bompas & Parr
Feasting with Bompas & Parr
by Bompas & Parr
Price: 20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, 4 Dec 2012
This is a book to knock your socks off! There are certainly some wild and wacky recipes in here, but there's also some quite simple ones that just happen to make a big impact. I'm pretty sure that any dinner party or full blown feast that you might throw from this book would be the talking point of the year. The photography is stunning and it's a really statuesque book in itself - it feels expensive and luxurious. I think it would make a great gift for the more experimental chef in your life, but at the moment this one is staying firmly with me! I'm going to try out the tropical chicken served up in pineapples for my Christmas party this year - looks like fun...

Style Me Vintage: Tea Parties Recipes and tips for styling the perfect event: A Guide to Hosting Perfect Village Events
by Betty Blythe
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious in every way, 4 Dec 2012
I LOVE this little book. The recipes are delicious and I adore the fact that they all look so in keeping with the various eras, whichever style of vintage tea party you want to recreate. It's beautiful and fun - an all-round guide to hosting a vintage party, be it an Edwardian breakfast (inspired!), a classic Victorian afternoon tea, a 1940s picnic (the plum tart is just yum) or that old favourite - a 1950s style street party. I can see that this would make a brilliant present for anyone into vintage or holding tea parties, but I'm keeping this one just for me - it's a really pretty addition to my bookshelf.

Sugar and Spice: Sweets & Treats from Around the World
Sugar and Spice: Sweets & Treats from Around the World
by Gaitri Pagrach-Chandra
Price: 20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Mouthwatering goodies, 2 Oct 2012
I am struggling to believe that the previous reviewer actually owns a copy of this book or has even attempted to make any of the recipes. The book is simply packed with the most delicious recipes - that not only sound delicious (the author's descriptions really bring them to life on the page), look delicious (the photography is gorgeous) but TASTE delicious too. And I can say this with confidence because I HAVE made several and intend to make more. Current favourites are the Saffron and Almond Toffee Clusters (an Iranian recipe that was sticky and toothsome and incredibly moreish), the Walnut and Cinnamon Macaroons (lovely with a cup of coffee) and the Dutch cream truffles (cream, vanilla and dark chocolate - what's not to like? They were a prefect treat to bring out at the end of a dinner party).

My favourite thing about the book is the wide and unusual range of the recipes - the author has given us a really fascinating collection of sweet treats for adults and children alike, rather than a list of retro boiled sweets for kids only. I don't particularly want to mess around with a sugar thermometer to make hard candy, but I am interested in discovering new flavours. I was pleasantly surprised to read about sweets I'd never heard of from around the world and it really got my tastebuds going. Buy this book if you're interested in cooking - you won't be disappointed.