Profile for Mrs. Melanie M. Woolfenden > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Melanie M...

Mrs. Melanie M. Woolfenden "mel woolfe" (France)

The Mind of the South (Pelican)
The Mind of the South (Pelican)
by W.J. Cash

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb historical insight into the formation of the South, 7 Feb 2014
I think this is one of the most well written and documented books on the American South's origins that I have ever read. Written in 1941 from a Southern point of view but recognising the way the Southern mindset developed through a painful history - from the making of the US and all the pioneers who had to survive as well as the aristocrats that held many plantations. Then, of course, the Civil War, which came to cause huge resentment and overall pain for the blacks who had to live as slaves and the poor whites who could only "feel superior" by keeping the slaves in their place long after they supposedly were emancipated. Well, the rest is history as they say. It is very, very interesting since the time in which Mr Cash wrote this was reflecting on his very position of that time. Highly recommended for how the South became so violent and so negative yet with the bygone manners of Gone With the Wind and the myths thereof.

Pet Bakery Luxury Dog Treats - Sunday Roast 290g
Pet Bakery Luxury Dog Treats - Sunday Roast 290g
Offered by tonygold
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price, 7 Feb 2014
My fellow loves these biscuits so I will be buying again. All the range of Pet Bakery are good so far.

Dallas: 1963: The Road to the Kennedy Assassination
Dallas: 1963: The Road to the Kennedy Assassination
by Bill Minutaglio
Price: 13.46

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting take on a horrible time, 7 Feb 2014
Coming from Dallas - and having been in a small town high school near Dallas - I was intrigued to see how this book actually manage to get into the atmosphere and reality of Dallas and its political machinations. Think anyone who reflects on that desperately sad time and likes history would be more enlightened at the end of it. Dallas had some real nasty people who despised JFK.

Inateck Compact Kindle Paperwhite Cover Microfibril PU Leather Protection Cover Case - Sleep Mode Control Through Magnetic Induction for New 2014 2013 2012 Amazon Kindle Paperwhite - Simple & Lightweight - Brown (will only fit Amazon Kindle Paperwhite)
Offered by Inateck
Price: 28.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price for a brilliant clever cover, 7 Feb 2014
Did not want to pay John Lewis 30 for a leather cover so investigated well online and found this. Only had it a few days but it is attractive and user friendly - when it's closed the Paperwhite turns off - when it opens it is "on". The cover is a very robust and comes in various colours.

Skyfall [DVD]
Skyfall [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig
Offered by Venture Online
Price: 12.23

2.0 out of 5 stars Extreme disappointment, 13 Mar 2013
This review is from: Skyfall [DVD] (DVD)
After all the hype and the desire to enjoy the Bond escapism, I was soooo disappointed. The plot's (was there one?) supposed twists and turns were absolutely ridiculous - the action was equally so ridiculous. I know that with Bond we are meant to suspend belief for the overall pleasure but this did not do it. Craig is ok as Bond but that sums this film up.

Southern Selves (Vintage Original)
Southern Selves (Vintage Original)
by James H. Watkins
Price: 9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Extraordinary Compilation of Southern Writers, 28 April 2012
I cannot tell you the pleasure I have had in reading this anthology of Southern writers. I have lived outside the States for all my adult life but the South stays with you wherever you go - sometimes good and sometimes bad. This anthology introduced me to writers that I had never known nor read. Highly recommended for all humans regardless of what part of the world you might live! The extraordinary stories revolving around race relations are superb.

Divine Magnetic Lands: A Journey in America
Divine Magnetic Lands: A Journey in America
by Timothy O'Grady
Price: 9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and Sensitive Look at Today's USA, 14 Aug 2009
It would be difficult to over emphasise how much I enjoyed this superb book. I, like Mr O'Grady, am an expat American who has spent the majority of my adult life in Europe. This really is so much more than a travel guide - it is rich with descriptions of not just places but the people he met throughout his travels. As much as I love the US - my heritage and roots afterall - I also have become very disenchanted with many aspects of its present makeup. The insularity, lack of compassion for the less fortunate, fear of "foreigness" in anything new as well as the narrow-mindedness and sheer anger of many American citizens has left me with a sadness and resentment towards those who could educate but choose not to: media, politicians, and the priviledged who care not at all. Please read this and learn - you will also be hugely entertained.

Hugh Johnson's Pocket Wine Book 2009
Hugh Johnson's Pocket Wine Book 2009
by Hugh Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide to wines, 21 April 2009
I enjoy this wine info book enormously - gives essential info on world wines with precise and wonderful insight to new winemakers as well as the established ones. Well worth having if you want to expand your knowledge as well as your wine purchases!

I'm Not There [DVD]
I'm Not There [DVD]
Dvd ~ Christain Bale
Offered by WorldCinema
Price: 13.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary and Unique, 3 Jun 2008
This review is from: I'm Not There [DVD] (DVD)
Saw this last night and I was spellbound. It won't be everyone's cup of tea but I adored it. Cate Blanchet, Ben Whishaw, Christian Bale, and the very young Marcus Carl Franklin (superb) were all outstanding. The impressionistic film portrayed the times and Dylan's world beautifully. What can I say - keep an open mind and try to see this on a large screen with good sound. Otherwise you may not "be there".