Profile for Lukal8 > Reviews

Ravel Women's Lorraine Pink Ballet RLS349 4 UK
Ravel Women's Lorraine Pink Ballet RLS349 4 UK
Price: 55.00

1.0 out of 5 stars WRONG SIZE DELIVERED - TOO SMALL!, 10 Dec 2013
I ordered a size 4 and received the size 3 which is obviously the size no-one buys and hence cheaper, however more importantly it doesn't fit! NOT GOOD ENOUGH AMAZON, this is ridiculous, buyer beware, it's such a shame as the shoes are pretty and i would love to be able to wear them.

Apple MC941ZM/A Smart Cover for iPad 2 Pink
Apple MC941ZM/A Smart Cover for iPad 2 Pink
Offered by Buy It Love It
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and stylish, worth the price tag, 24 April 2012
I've had a couple of different cases but these are my favourite in spite of the fact that you can't protect the back. They look great, easy to apply and manoeuvre and clean, plus the interior lining is soft and keeps the screen clean and protected. I've got the pale pink one and it looks great with my white iPad.

U-Bop Neo-ORBIT Leather Case | Apple iPod Touch 4 | 4th Generation HD (Red)
U-Bop Neo-ORBIT Leather Case | Apple iPod Touch 4 | 4th Generation HD (Red)

1.0 out of 5 stars Stinks and looks cheap, not like the pic!, 24 April 2012
This stinks to the high heavens of toxic glue, and the interior looks extremely cheap with a botched up glue job. The cheap plastic (which scratches the back of the iPod) had come away from the cheap material back when I received it. Plus I had to air it out outside for 2 weeks to diffuse the fumes. Waste of money overall.

Case4Life Folio Case / Cover with Flip Stand and Auto Magnetic Sleep Function For use with New Apple iPad - 3rd Generation iPad - Made with 100% Genuine Leather - Lifetime Warranty

1.0 out of 5 stars Smells toxic and bubbles up!, 24 April 2012
I was expecting something great for the price, but was really let down when I received the case today, it looks cheap, feels like cardboard, and stinks of toxic fumes! I already own the expensive apple smart cover but wanted something to protect the whole of the iPad, although I think I've wasted my money, with delivery included this is way overpriced for what you get, I should have gone with my instincts and brought the technic one - much cheaper with 100+ good reviews. Really tacky.

Atonement
Atonement
by Ian McEwan
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I ever imagined, McEwan's best by far!, 16 Mar 2009
This review is from: Atonement (Paperback)
I can't believe that the average Amazon rating is not five stars. This book is simply unforgettable, I couldn't put it down, it is a modern masterpiece and truly deserves greater recognition.

Don't be put off by the fact that you've already seen the film, as usually a brilliant book is far superior to it's film counterpart, however the film is loyal to the book in that it does closely adhere to McEwan's story. Even the style is superb, making the book seem truly autobiographical and authentic, and I am one who habitually reads a huge number or war based novels (which aren't always as great as the hype surrounding them). The character portrayal is also true to life and believable, giving the novel a real sense of form that suits the nostalgic quality carried by the story.

I loved the story, and appreciated the creatively eloquent and readable style that clearly shows of McEwan's talent for prose, and ultimately can find no fault with this book.

I guarantee that you will love yourself for buying this beautiful and compelling novel!

No Time For Goodbye
No Time For Goodbye
by Linwood Barclay
Price: 7.27

3.0 out of 5 stars I expected it to be better, 7 Mar 2009
This review is from: No Time For Goodbye (Paperback)
I was really looking forward to this book even though I rarely read crime novels or thrillers. Ultimately I was rather disappointed, and I read it in one sitting simply so that I could move onto another book and get it over with, rather than to discover the ending. A major criticism is the author's style of writing which seemed immature and inexperienced (career-wise). Although there is a clear effort with the attention to detail and imagery, I just couldn't enjoy the book despite my efforts, and felt that it was simply a conjured story rather than something that could in fact be real. Plot-wise the story was relatively entertaining with a very unexpected ending which is a plus-point, however it did seem all too unlikely, and perhaps could have been tidied up with some extra research. I am being super critical, but to be fair I did read the book with at least some interest in spite of being let-down. I just expected so much more.

The Shell Seekers
The Shell Seekers
by Rosamunde Pilcher
Price: 8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, memorable, vivid, encapsulating!, 7 Mar 2009
This review is from: The Shell Seekers (Paperback)
I absolutely LOVED this book. It's so beautifully written with such vivid and true to life detail and imagery that I don't understand why this novel is not more widely read. The author is clearly immensely talented, and employs an astoundingly clever style in her writing and depiction of family life. The book reads so easily that the 600 pages fly by and before you know it you've reached the end and long for more. Pilcher's characterization is superb and her attention to detail makes the novel seem really authentic and real, making you feel as though you are watching the story being played out in your head rather than reading words on pages (a rare thing that all truly brilliant novels should have). The story is also excellent and surprisingly entertaining with it's simple premise. I especially appreciated the saga aspect of the novel, going back into Penelope's early life during the war, as it seems so nostalgic. Another positive aspect is the fact that the book is consistent throughout in terms of focusing on the emotional relationships between all the characters in the book, rather than simply creating a dramatic story. The ending was also unexpected and heart-warmingly bittersweet, I struggle to find fault with this beautiful book.

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
by John Boyne
Price: 3.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Over-hyped, huge let down! Felt like I was reading a kid's book, 7 Mar 2009
The premise of this story is a good idea, however I just didn't feel that it was authentic in the way it was written, and just seemed unlikely throughout, simply because of the author's style, use of prose and imagery. It does read easily but as it was seemingly narrated by a young child it did feel like I was reading a children's book which I just didn't appreciate. Having read the Book Thief which is a far superior novel, I was hugely unimpressed with this book and felt that it was another over-hyped let down. In fact I was thoroughly bored throughout most of the book even though it is so short, and I read a vast quantity of books compared to the average person. I would personally not recommend this book to anyone. Three stars is simply because I'm generous and very rarely rate any lower.

The Reader
The Reader
by Prof Bernhard Schlink
Price: 6.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written, but don't like the story.., 7 Mar 2009
This review is from: The Reader (Paperback)
I just didn't enjoy the story much and I found it difficult to empathise with the Hanna character. Nevertheless the novel is well composed with true to life imagery and detail, and reads very easily, although it is rather short. Another aspect that I didn't appreciate was the sudden move into the legal part, as I found the courtroom dialogue too boring and factual compared to the first part of the book which immersed you into the emotional lives of Hanna and Michael, focusing on their bizarre relationship and psychological insecurities. I also felt that there was too big a leap from the first part to the second in terms of story, style and setting, and perhaps we could have heard more detail about Hanna's secret past from her own perspective, which would have made the novel a little longer but more consistent with the first half of the book. Overall it was a satisfying read, though I couldn't say I'd really enjoyed it. Having said that, it may be other people's cup of tea, so I would recommend keeping an open mind and judging the book for yourself.

This Book Will Save Your Life
This Book Will Save Your Life
by A. M. Homes
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars It won't! ...But good nevertheless, 2 Mar 2009
While this book might not save your life, it does make for a really good read. I read this on holiday and really enjoyed it. The characters are well-portrayed and real, and the story is entertaining and quite compelling. It also got me hungry for more of the author's work which is a good thing all in all.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4