Profile for Ever hopeful sceptic > Reviews

Content by Ever hopeful s...

Ever hopeful sceptic

Page: 1 | 2
Hogfather [DVD]
Hogfather [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Jason
Offered by Bridge_Records

1.0 out of 5 stars This was a big disappointment. I thought the script failed to capture the ..., 1 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Hogfather [DVD] (DVD)
This was a big disappointment. I thought the script failed to capture the intelligence and humour of the book and the acting was unconvincing. It may well be impossible to suspend disbelief for a film version in the same way that we can immerse ourselves happily in the book. This wasn't even a good try.

The Yiddish Policemen's Union
The Yiddish Policemen's Union

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable writing, 1 Feb. 2015
Loved it despite the, to me, obscure religious references. Yiddish noir?

Reading Like a Writer: A Guide for People Who Love Books and for Those Who Want to Write Them
by Francine Prose

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this if you want to write, 1 Feb. 2015
One of the most helpful and inspiring books for writers that I've come across. I especially liked the quotes at the end from very famous writers saying just how HARD it is to write.

Sightlines
Sightlines

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating wee glimpses, 26 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Sightlines (Kindle Edition)
Good writing, great insights. I was in a museum recently and realised I was walking under an arch of whale jawbones. I found myself remembering this book and was grateful for the richness it brought to those dry bones.

Robinson Crusoe
Robinson Crusoe

4.0 out of 5 stars Not like I remember, 26 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Robinson Crusoe (Kindle Edition)
I don't know if I had a children's edition all those years ago but this was not as I remembered it. A lot darker for one thing and I don't remember him being a castaway for so long. Still full of odd moments

Gardman Grow It Raised Bed Liner 9102 Green
Gardman Grow It Raised Bed Liner 9102 Green
Offered by Top Products

4.0 out of 5 stars Fill it up, 26 Aug. 2013
I think this needs to be filled up more than I filled mine otherwise the sides droop onto the surrounding grass and the snails climb aboard. Lost all my kale to the little beggars. Better luck next year.

Stonemouth
Stonemouth

3.0 out of 5 stars so so, 26 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Stonemouth (Kindle Edition)
So what? It was a not very engaging love story with not very interesting people. The tone was a off, the violence didn't really come over as mattering very much. No 'bite'.

Hallucinations
Hallucinations

4.0 out of 5 stars So much for ghosts, 26 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Hallucinations (Kindle Edition)
Real life accounts of hallucinations. How can anyone ever believe in ghosts or apparitions again. it ended a bit abruptly

The Erotic Adventures of Valentine (Book One - Innocence Relinquished Hot Erotika Romance and Erotika for Women 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars made me feel sordid, 26 Aug. 2013
I wanted to wash my hands after trying to read this. I understand that makes me 'vanilla' but I prefer something a little more tasteful.

Death on the Pont Noir (Inspector Lucas Rocco Book 3)
Death on the Pont Noir (Inspector Lucas Rocco Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, 26 Aug. 2013
Competently written with a light touch. The plot was straight forward. I'm not sure how true to French life it was.

Page: 1 | 2